Crushed pepper flakes

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
Donnyboy
Reactions:

Crushed pepper flakes

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:58 am

I eat a lot of commercial crushed, hot pepper flakes. I cover pizza with it and eat it on all pasta dishes I cook as a condiment rather than an ingredient. If I want hot pepper in a recipe, I typically use fresh peppers. My giant bottle of flakes somehow became empty and I'm considering making my own flakes from dried chilies. Anyone know what variety of dried chilies are used to make the commercial hot pepper flakes?

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Crushed pepper flakes

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Cayenne peppers are the ones most often used.
These are also the ones used for ground red pepper.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Cayenne is the type usually used, but there are so many varieties of those that you get many different heats from different brands. And not much flavor, as well. However, years ago I tried some "very hot" flakes from Penzey's spices:
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... p-902/pd-s

I wouldn't call those very hot, as they are only listed at 40k SUs, but they have better flavor than other crushed red pepper flakes I had, up to that point. And I tried some in a test when a friend and I were trying to find the best dried peppers to make Nam Prik Pao with, most of which were too hot, and some just flavorless, except for the heat. Besides the 5 other peppers, I also tried these pepper flakes, and they came in #2 in the taste test. They caramelized better than all but the #1 pepper, and were not overly hot, so more can be used. My friend still uses these, to this day, when making Nam Pric Pao, as he doesn't even need to use the Food Processor for it. (we even tried sprouting some of the seeds, but it didn't work - probably irradiated peppers)

The jar of flakes I keep on hand I make myself, crushing some of the Thai peppers, which I grow more of than any. The flavor is mush better than the ones in jars, and not much is needed, for heat!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Caroline Cayenne is a good one, particularly if you have a root knot nematode problem. It is root knot nematode resistant. It is a beautiful plant. A warning though it is twice as hot a regular cayenne pepper. It was developed by Clemson University. Also long slim red is a good one that is prolific and of regular hotness for a cayenne. Chili de Arbol makes pretty good pepper flakes too.
I have seed of each:
Carolina Cayenne (2018)
Long Slim Red Cayenne (2018)
Chili de Arbol (2016)

I dry my peppers in a food dehydrator. Then I use my Vita-Mix blender to crush them. I use pulse for crushed and wide open for ground cayenne pepper. Any of the above make great red pepper flakes. I usually use a blend of the above. I open the jar and the aroma is great. The store bought pepper flakes can't touch these for flavor.

PM me if you would like some seed.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:01 am

Have you ever tried Lemon Drop for flakes. It's hot and sweet and citrusy all at once, the plant is super productive too. I love it so much, but its yellow. I suppose you could mix it with another chili for red color but I don't.
- Marsha

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:18 pm

[mention]Ginger2778[/mention] Is that lemon drop a type of Aji pepper? I have 6 types of Aji this season, but not that one, unless it's the Amarillo. It sounds like it would be good to sprinkle on some Thai foods!

Update:
I had to go look (Trade Winds Fruit has the most Aji varieties I've seen anywhere) after posting, and it is an Aji - in fact, one I considered, (why didn't I remember that??) and I didn't get it because I just had too many!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Chile de Arbol is by far in my opinion the best to make red pepper flakes.
You can get them for dirt cheap at a Mexican market and crush up yourself.
Eating some now out of a concoction I made.
It is the crushed arbol peppers heated in oil salt and cumin.
I haven't bought the tasteless commercial red pepper flakes in many years.
Worth

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:05 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:18 pm @Ginger2778 Is that lemon drop a type of Aji pepper? I have 6 types of Aji this season, but not that one, unless it's the Amarillo. It sounds like it would be good to sprinkle on some Thai foods!

Update:
I had to go look (Trade Winds Fruit has the most Aji varieties I've seen anywhere) after posting, and it is an Aji - in fact, one I considered, (why didn't I remember that??) and I didn't get it because I just had too many!
Yes, it's Aji Amarillo. My nephew made a paste of it and some fresh garlic, and he added coconut milk and made a Thai curry using chunks of sea bass he needed to use. He said he couldn't find lemon grass but the lemon drop peppers did the trick. My sister said it was one of the most delicious things she has eaten in years!
Last edited by Ginger2778 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Marsha

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:06 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm Chile de Arbol is by far in my opinion the best to make red pepper flakes.
I wish we had a Mexican market here. Cuba and Italian and Asian yes, but not Mexican.
- Marsha

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 pm

I grew chile de árbol years ago, and it was a tall plant - I guess the source of the name. However, here I didn't get ripe peppers until late August and early September, so I never grew it again. And the heat was only around 40-50k, so I liked most of the same sized Thai peppers better, with great flavor and about 60-70k in heat. Plus, some of the earliest, and most productive peppers, though that Indian Jyoti has given them a run for their money, these two years I've grown those!

I keep all of these in glass jars, so they stay super crisp, after dehydrating, and I just crush them in my molcajete when that jar gets low. When I do this, I either do it outside, or on my my range, with the fan on!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Friedgreen,
Thank you for the kind seed offer, but it's too late in the season to germinate and plant out this year. I may take you up on the offer later in the year though and plan them for next year. When your my age, you don't plan things very far in the future. :o

We have a lot of Mexican grocery stores in my area. Most of them have large bins of dried chili peppers of different varieties. I would like to purchase some of those to make my flakes. My problem is the fact that most of the varieties have specific purposes like making mole and other types of sauces. I'm not familiar with all the traditional uses for the different peppers. I think the chile de arbol may be the answer.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:06 pm
worth1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm Chile de Arbol is by far in my opinion the best to make red pepper flakes.
I wish we had a Mexican market here. Cuba and Italian and Asian yes, but not Mexican.
They are popping up everywhere here and not to be scoffed at either.
Huge places.
You can get whole sides of a hog fried pig skins in some of them.
Dried chilies of all kinds too.
The one I go to most often is only a mile and a half away from me.
My shopping receipt is all in Spanish and I can read and understand every bit of it.
Worth

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 pm

I grow a lot of poblano peppers which have great taste, but very mild heat. I'm curious if anyone dries them and uses the powder for seasoning.

Worth, I love chicharrones (fried pork skin). I am kinda picky because many of the Mexican markets are not very concerned about getting all the hair off before they fry it. I'm not a fan of eating fried pig hair.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Donnyboy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 pm I grow a lot of poblano peppers which have great taste, but very mild heat. I'm curious if anyone dries them and uses the powder for seasoning.

Worth, I love chicharrones (fried pork skin). I am kinda picky because many of the Mexican markets are not very concerned about getting all the hair off before they fry it. I'm not a fan of eating fried pig hair.
Yes the dried ground poblano is ancho powder I always keep it on hand, very dark red.
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Donnyboy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 pm I grow a lot of poblano peppers which have great taste, but very mild heat. I'm curious if anyone dries them and uses the powder for seasoning.

I seed and dice poblanos, and the Big Jims, when I have enough roasted, peeled, and frozen. I dehydrate the diced peppers, and use them in a lot of Indian dishes, as well as Mexican. I never powdered them, but I can see that being done. I powder dried green chiles of a number of types - The Indians call this "white" chili powder, and it has a delicious, unique flavor.

I used to go to a Mexican grocery/diner, in which they always had a barrel of chicharrones slowly frying in pork lard, which they also sold. It was a long trip, to Avondale, PA, but back then, it was the closest source for Mexican foods, and a friend and I would go there every 8 months or so. Those pork skins were pretty clean - a few hairs we would clean with tweezers, and buy about 10 lbs of them each time, along with all the rest of the foods. Eventually, Mexican groceries started opening nearby, but none with those chicharrones in a barrel, like that place.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “The Pepper Patch”