Amish Yellow Bottle Onions

Paquebot
Reactions:

Amish Yellow Bottle Onions

Fri May 29, 2020 7:34 am

Do a search for that rare variety and there is little information. If there is any, it's usually mine. At the moment, they are so scarce that only 3 gardeners may be growing them this year. One has never grown onions before and the other didn't properly care for his sets and must start over. The third is me and I missed a year due to health. And that's the problem now.

These onions are the best cooking type that I've ever found. 1½" thick and 4" to 5" long, sometimes bigger. However, they are not something that one throws seeds in the ground and come back 4 months later and harvest. Seeds must first be planted at the right time to produce sets of a proper size. Sets must be saved to plant back the next year to obtain bulbs. Bulbs must be save to plant back to get seeds. That is how it used to be with onions before development of modern varieties.

f planted early, these will go straight to seed. If sets are too big, they will often merely divide or bolt. Thus it is critical as to when the seeds are planted to produce sets. The time is mid-June and so far only known for the Long Day zone. Ideal set size is about ¼" thick. Both the bulbs and sets store well so one should have no trouble storing them. Just need the incentive to do it.

Now, we need some serious gardeners to come forth and offer to become protectors of that variety. SSE has seeds but chances of them doing more than storing them are slim. We have a two-week window here for me to get seeds and growing instructions to serious gardeners. I would say Long Day only but they may work in Intermediate.

Timing of planting is important as bulbing only begins when daylight hours shorten. For set production, onios bulb quickly during that time and go dormant after about 60 days. The sets then have the same keeping quality as mature bulbs and will survive almost totally drying out. Thus one must be really negligent to lose them.

To get seeds, just PM here or e-mail paquebot@yahoo.com within the next couple weeks. Any questions, will try to answer here so there's a record.

Martin

Paquebot
Reactions:

Re: Amish Yellow Bottle Onions

Sun May 31, 2020 11:26 am

Seeds went fast on another forum. Just waiting for one more address from this forum. All spoken for now. Thank you!

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:16 am

I got some seeds from Martin (Thanks!) and planted them today. Hopefully I can be a provider of seeds/sets in the future.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:40 pm

We would love to see pics of them ponyexpress. :)
Also I would enjoy some discussion about planting for sets, as I am hoping to do that with shallot seeds this summer (sometime soon I hope!)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Paquebot
Reactions:

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Shallot seeds do not make sets per se. They generally make just one or two standard bulbs. Most are just onions which act like shallots. True shallots are only propagated from bulbs.

To produce onion sets, one must first live in a Long Day area. Second, must select an onion which will produce sets. The number of varieties is small. Ebenezer, Stuttgarter, and Wethersfield are the most common. They are long day and will store until the following year. Other varieties may make sets but will not store or will quickly bolt when planted back. If anyone wants to try it with whatever seed you have, time to plant is now. I'm also trying Makó which is a Hungarian storage type. Grown normally as plants but a candidate for set production.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am

Personally, I'm trying to move away from sets (with the exception of the new bottle onion seeds). They're great for beginners but I had too many bolt on me, especially red onions. I do make an effort to pick the smaller bulbs. But I wonder if my problem is that I planted them too early? In the past, I would plant them in early April which the same time I do transplants. Would they grow better and not bolt if I planted them middle of May? In a Facebook gardening group, there's a woman in the MI area who plants sets at the end of May and they grow to be the size between a baseball and a softball.

Martin, how many different onions are you growing? I'm growing Copra, Highlander, Sterling, Blush (~60 each) from Dixondale plus some smaller ones (4-5 plants each) Walla Walla, Red River, Red Zeppelin, Ringmaster, Ailsa Craig (also from Dixondale). Lastly, I have Superstar, Utah Jumbo, Stuttgarter, and some red variety that I started from seeds. Trying to see which ones do best in storage.

I also have potato onions that store very well (more than a year easily).

Paquebot
Reactions:

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Timing is important for set production. Despite so little information on the web 20 years ago, the one thing that was constant was planting in June. That still applies. If too early, too much genetic time is stored in the bulb and its next step would be to bolt. Years ago, onion sets were often available in bulk. You picked out what you wanted. General rule was that a dime was always better than a nickel. That was in reference to size.

For what onions I am growing this year, bulb type is Patterson, Redwing, Ringmaster, and the bottle onions. I have grown just about everything that Dixondale has offered in past 35 years. (They once quoted me in their catalog.) Best keeper is a Hungarian variety, Makõ. Trying to produce sets of that this year, too. Had 4 different topsetters at one time and have grown perhaps a dozen shallots. Currently growing golden shallots which can also be called potato onions.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Paquebot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 pm Currently growing golden shallots which can also be called potato onions.
If you have a moment, please report to the Gumbo Onions thread. I have a question about potato onions there.

My Amish seedlings are doing nicely. Have 6 or 7 at this point. Was tempted to bring the pot to the community garden so it can get more sun but it’s easier for me to keep an eye on them at home.
E0194FCF-92EE-45F6-9655-97951606A702.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Looking good! Even 6 or 7 will be a good nucleus for future growth. I didn't start out with many more than that. You are going to end up with small sets but this type will do well with sets less than ¼" thick. My plants are now at their peak at about 8" and will soon start bulbing.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:46 am

Also posted in the thread on the other board.

Here is a picture taken this morning of my bottle onions.
B7576CD4-0B36-48CD-B063-D9E87A53708C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:20 pm

Looks good. You can see some bulbs forming on 3 of them. Plants will probably be done in 10 days or less.

Martiin

bower
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:42 pm

That is quite amazing for an onion seed planted in June! Very cool. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Paquebot
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm

For set production, timing is all-important. Since they are long day, growth is determined by length of day. As soon as they come up, the shorter days tell them to quickly begin making bulbs. Mine were planted a week or so ahead of Pony's and are totally dormant already. Several hundred sets are now curing for winter storage. The same results would be obtained with Ebenezer or Stuttgarter. Few gardeners grow their own now. Easier to buy them!

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 am

Another photo of my bottle onions taken yesterday, almost two weeks since the previous one.
BA51CB5F-FDF8-4972-8F29-65E6ED82011C.jpeg

Paquebot
Reactions:

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am

Surprised to see them still growing but will mean larger bulbs. Even those with thicker necks have dried for me now. If the necks don't close, they won't store.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 am

Here is another picture with my hand for scale. I was surprised hire long some of the leaves are.
9F60D8AA-E146-4398-8EA0-0B4FAFB61B2E.jpeg

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 am

Paquebot wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am Surprised to see them still growing but will mean larger bulbs. Even those with thicker necks have dried for me now. If the necks don't close, they won't store.
When the necks don't close, does it mean that they'll more likely rot or will they sprout earlier?

Could the amount of daylight be a factor? These are growing at the front of my house which does not get full sun. I can move them to the community gardens where I get a lot more daylight because there are almost no nearby trees.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Onions are one which need full sun. Location of the plants is probably why they are way behind mine.

If the neck of an onion bulb does not close up, it won't keep. It lets in all sorts of bacteria and it will rot. Same applies to both large and small bulbs.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:23 pm

I moved it to my community garden plot so it will get more sunlight. I had it at my house initially so I could keep an eye on it more frequently since they're on the endangered species list!

So you planted some seeds to get sets for next year. Did you plant any sets to get full sized bottle onions? In other words, are you in all 3 phases of the game this year (seeds->sets, sets->onions, onions->seeds)?

Paquebot
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:04 pm

I am not in full speed since I did not have mature bulbs to plant back this spring. With health being shaky, that is why I enlisted a number of others to carry on with the seeds that I had. Now I have two-thirds of the picture with sets and bulbs. If all goes well, I will have all three at this time next year. Normally I would plant 6 bulbs back but may double it next year.

Martin

Return to “Onions”