Transpanting adult plants

Everything About Tomatoes
Japetus
Reactions:

Transpanting adult plants

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:40 am

I'm condisering removing 5-6 tomato plants to make space for plants of other varieties a friend wants to exchange with me. Is it doable, will the plants survive the shock? They all have flowers and small tomatoes on them. How big the ball of soil and roots should be?

loulac
Reactions:

Re: Transpanting adult plants

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:24 am

The bigger the ball of soil is the safer it is.I have transplanted 2 foot-high plants with a 6 inch ball they needed water everyday and cardboard pieces to protect them from the sun. The leaves were in a sorry state at the end of the day but recovered perfectly during the night. Recovery took about 10 days.
When I transplanted plants with a 10 inch ball they didn't suffer at all. You can make cuttings too, but production will take much more time.

All the best

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:22 am

why not just put the new plants in the space you are going to move the in ground plants to?
save yourself some work, if that makes sense.

keith

slugworth
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:57 am

It's depends on the variety.
Husky red cherry doesn't like to be transplanted at all.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:58 am

rxkeith wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:22 am why not just put the new plants in the space you are going to move the in ground plants to?
save yourself some work, if that makes sense.
keith
Japetus can't do that, as the two friends are trading plants.

Dig up as much root as you can. Put the whole thing in a big bucket. Immediately put water on the soil/roots and also on the leaves. It will keep the leaves from wilting so much. Keep the leaves wet all the way to transplant. Plants lose water through their leaves. Keep the leaves wet and the damage to the roots is less stressful. Once the plants are in ground, water thoroughly. Depending on how the plants react to the transplant, you can baby them or not. If they keep wilting rapidly, keep watering the roots and the leaves. (Yes, it's not good in general to get water on the leaves. But this is short term.) If you can get away with just watering the roots, great. If the wilting is really bad, keep them semi-shaded for a few days. Tomatoes bounce back quickly.

Return to “Tomato Talk”