Queen of Malinalco husk tomato

arnorrian
Reactions:

Queen of Malinalco husk tomato

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:00 am

I saw Queen of Malinalco husk tomato in the new in 2020 section on Baker Creek. It looks very interesting. Anybody grew it?

Joe and his team spent a few years searching for old-time growers of the fabled ” Queen of Malinalco” husk tomato. Unlike the common tomatillo that is so ubiquitously used for Mexican green salsa, this old variety from the Malinalco region of Mexico is actually more like a sweet paste tomato! The unbelievably beautiful fruits are completely sheathed in papery husks like other Physalis species. The fruit grow up to 4 inches long and the plants are very productive. The fruit is used to make salsas; they can also be cooked up like tomatoes or simply eaten fresh. This is a stunning rare find from Joe and his team, and we are delighted to be able to offer this great rarity. Husk tomatoes will thrive where other tomatoes thrive, as they are easy and quick growers. Start young plants inside like tomatoes, and transplant seedlings after danger of frost when they are about 5-6 inches tall.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Queen of Malinalco husk tomato

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 am

Nope, but it's a cool-sounding tomatillo that I've been meaning to put on my wantlist the last couple of days. It's the only one I've seen that shape.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Now that is something that I want to look into. Thanks for posting this.
~ Patti ~

MrBig46
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:51 am

If anyone were to buy the seeds of Queen of Malinalco, I'd like to be financially involved. I would pay one bag of seeds and also postage to the Czech Republic either by PayPal or by Mastercard. I really like it and I would like to try to grow it.
Vladimír

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:57 am

Intriguing looking fruit!

arnorrian
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:44 am

MrBig46 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:51 am If anyone were to buy the seeds of Queen of Malinalco, I'd like to be financially involved. I would pay one bag of seeds and also postage to the Czech Republic either by PayPal or by Mastercard. I really like it and I would like to try to grow it.
Vladimír
Why not just order them on Baker Creek site? They deliver to Europe, and shipping is not expensive, 5 dollars. I'm waiting a delivery from them now.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:55 am

Thank you for the information. I'll try it.
Vladimír

MrBig46
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:20 pm

They have written on Baker Creek that they only send seeds to the US, not to Europe!
Vladimír

arnorrian
Reactions:

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:30 pm

MrBig46 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:20 pm They have written on Baker Creek that they only send seeds to the US, not to Europe!
Vladimír
Are you sure? Their FAQ section says that they do, and I have received a shipment from them to here in Serbia earlier this year, and have two more orders being processed now. They do say that some countries have tighter regulations regarding seed shipments, and that you order at your own risk.

I couldn't resist ordering this variety, but the seed count is only 15 per pack. If I get them with no problems I will send you a couple of seeds.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:20 am

When I tried to order the Queen at Baker Creek, I found this website: We are not sending to Europe because of regulations. Perhaps it means the European Union, where the rules really prohibit the import of seeds from countries other than the EU. US companies usually do this, so the EU grower can only get to the seeds through his friends in the US.
If you receive the seeds of the Queen and are willing to send me two or three seeds, I will be grateful. In exchange, I can send you some Spanish beef tomato tomatoes or big heart shaped beefsteaks. I could also send you the seeds of anything the Czech seed companies Moravoseed and SEMO offer, or send you money for postage and the cost of buying seeds. Thanks for the offer.
                  Vladimir

Nico
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:16 am

Hello everyone, I am also interested in this tomato, it seems incredible, I think there is little information, because as I read it is not his real name, his real name is "tomate acorazado or tomate acorazonado"
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Nico
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 am

70-90 days A very rare tomatillo originally offered by Baker Creek and supposedly picked up by the Simcoxes in Mexico. Simcox called her the "Queen of Malinalco", but this is not the real name of this local race. At the local level they are called "battleship or battleship" = "heart-shaped". This native breed is found in the ancient Aztec town / town of Malinalco, named after the Aztec goddess Malinalxóchitl. It is said that Huitzlipochtli abandoned his sister Malinalxóchitl because he was practicing evil witchcraft. While she was sleeping, he left her in the middle of the forest. When she woke up, she was furious that she had been abandoned by her brother. He gathered people loyal to her and marched to establish himself in what is now Malinalco. Very productive 3 to 6 feet tall plants produce long pear-shaped fruits that begin green and ripen until they turn golden yellow and go through their peel. The biggest tomatillo we have seen. Fruits with incredibly fruity flavor are excellent in cakes, jams, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:59 am

MrBig46 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:20 am When I tried to order the Queen at Baker Creek, I found this website: We are not sending to Europe because of regulations. Perhaps it means the European Union, where the rules really prohibit the import of seeds from countries other than the EU. US companies usually do this, so the EU grower can only get to the seeds through his friends in the US.
If you receive the seeds of the Queen and are willing to send me two or three seeds, I will be grateful. In exchange, I can send you some Spanish beef tomato tomatoes or big heart shaped beefsteaks. I could also send you the seeds of anything the Czech seed companies Moravoseed and SEMO offer, or send you money for postage and the cost of buying seeds. Thanks for the offer.
                  Vladimir
I'll contact you when I get them. I'll send you six seeds, because tomatillo is not self-fertilizing, and needs to grow in a group to be fruitful. Don't worry about the cost.

I received seed from America twice before, from Baker Creek and MIGardener. But the package from Croatian Seeds never arrived. I don't know if customs here in Serbia impounded them or a postman took them (it happens here). My neighbor has relatives in Croatia, so I got those seeds anyway. I have two orders now at Baker Creek, as I divided the seeds I want into two shipments, not to risk problems with customs. Let's hope they arrive.

Miloš

asmx92
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Nico, I ordered, but only one bag...

Nico
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:21 am

Good Anneliese! Where did you find who sells it and sends it to Europe? I wonder what flavor this rarity will have

Nico
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:26 am

tomatillo.jpg
I found something in amazon called tomatillo or Physalis ixocarpa of other colors and even purple, but I think they are not the same as the header photo
tomatillo 2.jpg
tomatillo 3.jpg
tomatillo4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:02 am

Yes, tomatillo is a close relative of tomato, Queen of Malinalco is a tomatillo. From what I gather they are very fruitful, less disease-prone, but not self fertile, so need to be grown in groups. I already have a purple tomatillo seeds ready.

asmx92
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:14 am

Nico, I ordered by this vendor last year, too. I tried it and it worked...

MrBig46
Reactions:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:56 am

I'm just interested. Do you already have Queen of Malinalco seeds? Will you grow this tomatillo this year? If so, I would like to see the results so that I could possibly decide for 2021.
Vladimír

asmx92
Reactions:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:17 am

Yes, I got the seeds from Queen of Malinalco and sent them Nico. Sent me your address and I'll send you a few seeds.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”