Halfway(?) Through the Season Thoughts

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Halfway(?) Through the Season Thoughts

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Put ten plants in the ground on April 19th, so just coming up on three months this week. Will depend on the weather and my energy how long I keep everything rolling, but six months or so is as good a guess as any. Just going to jot some thoughts and then follow with a stack of pictures.

Big Beef and Omar's Lebanese I think both fell victim to being planted too close to other plants and were surrounded on all sides. They've been the weakest growers and producers. Not ready to write them off yet, I think their failure is user error.

Barry's Crazy Cherry is awesome. My toddler ate like eighteen yesterday while I was picking. Definitely will grow these sweet little things again.

Brandy Boy is the only plant that I overwintered and it is still producing big delicious fruit. This is the best tomato I've grown so far, will have a few pics of the old plant. It's getting a little ragged but just keeps producing so I can't bring myself to kill it.

Mat Su Express gave me a fully ripe fruit at 53 days, which was pretty cool, but the fruits have been small for me. They have been pretty and fairly good tasting though.

Aunt Ruby's German Green is absolutely delicious, but didn't set a ton of fruit for me. There are currently two or three "green" fruits that will be over a pound when they ripen, definitely looking forward to those. I got my first ripe fruit at 56 days.

Juliet I wish someone had warned me about, this thing is massive and I'm picking like twenty fruits a day. Flavor is so so but just so productive I love it.

KBX has been a wimpy plant that produced few fruit, but they are huge and delicious. Probably won't grow again just due to the lack of production.

University of Hawaii N-63, blah
IMG_6543.jpeg
KBX
IMG_6562.jpeg
IMG_6566.jpeg
ARGG
IMG_6601.jpeg
Barry's
IMG_6607.jpeg
Juliet
IMG_6608.jpeg
This morning
IMG_6609.jpeg
Upper concrete mesh is at about six foot
IMG_6610.jpeg
Juliet Truss
IMG_6611.jpeg
Brandy Boy over the peas
IMG_6623.jpeg
Brandy Boy angle two
IMG_6624.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Re: Halfway(?) Through the Season Thoughts

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Good looking tomatoes. Envious of your pineapples.

Hadn't thought about anyone being able to over-winter a tomato.

Dawn
Reactions:

Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:11 pm

Barry's crazy cherry was easy and highly productive for me, but the tomatoes were not sweet for me. Mostly bland, and a little acidic. No one liked them, I couldn't give them away.

Juliet is a beast. I planted 4 one year (I didn't know!). They were planted at the community garden, and if go down every three days to pick and water. One day, I got 260 tomatoes. 3 days later, nearly as many were ready to pick again. I like them for sauce.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

arnorrian
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 am

Lovely garden. Are those corn plants in the last picture? They look cut.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:07 am

[mention]arnorrian[/mention] Sorghum/Sudangrass, just something to keep the weeds out until I plant that area next. I cut it all back to waist high occasionally so it doesn’t shade out the peas and tomatoes.

[mention]Dawn[/mention] I can totally see that with the Juliet, glad I only planted one! I have a bunch in the dehydrator right now, going to throw a bunch into salsa later today too
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:54 am

Dawn wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:11 pm
Juliet is a beast. I planted 4 one year (I didn't know!). They were planted at the community garden, and if go down every three days to pick and water. One day, I got 260 tomatoes. 3 days later, nearly as many were ready to pick again. I like them for sauce.
I’ve planted Juliet before. It’sa good producer. I don’t think I’ve ever found a cracked fruit since the skin is quite thick and rubbery. Not fond of this variety because it’s too pulpy and water compared to a Roma tomato. My friend likes growing them.

Varieties that I’m growing are: Ponyexpress, Rutgers, Sun Gold, Roma, Giant Garden Paste, Box Car Willie, and Brandywine. There are also a couple of volunteers that i have not pulled.

Return to “The Gallery”