How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
worth1
Reactions: 1417

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm

I haven't taken a bath or changed clothes since this whole thing started
It seems to be working.
No one will get within a 100 feet of me.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Bower
Reactions: 778

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Especially funny since the manic surface sanitizing for covid is being described as "hygiene theatre"
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/614599/

I think he's right, that people have been exhausted by all these demands to constantly sanitize stuff, so there's no energy left for the things that really work - masks, social distancing. Close bars, gyms, restaurants until the pandemic is over. Compensate and/or find these people something else to do.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Now the cats out of the bag there is poisoning happening from hand sanitizer.
Worth

patihum
Reactions: 41

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Bower wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:25 pm
Especially funny since the manic surface sanitizing for covid is being described as "hygiene theatre"
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/614599/

I think he's right, that people have been exhausted by all these demands to constantly sanitize stuff, so there's no energy left for the things that really work - masks, social distancing. Close bars, gyms, restaurants until the pandemic is over. Compensate and/or find these people something else to do.
And just when will the pandemic be over? Six months a year or ???

You're talking literally hundreds of thousands of people to compensate or find jobs for if you close bars, gyms and restaurants for a very extended period because it's not only the people directly employed at those places but all of the suppliers for those places too. Oh and don't forget the manufacturers that make the hard goods that the suppliers sell to those establishments. Then there's the distilleries, farmers, dairymen and ranchers also to consider.

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 412

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm

No one likes change but most of us do like the idea of remaining alive. There are new requirements with Covid and new jobs created by the changes. I'm guessing that the hand sanitizer industry is seeing a bump lately, for only one. When I go out I am seeing 'hiring' signs here and there. It's a rough ride for everyone and hard on our pshyches.

clara
Reactions: 187

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 pm

It's a simple question: What do you consider being the most valuable: health or economy, personal welfare or responsibility towards others?
per aspera ad astra

Bower
Reactions: 778

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:52 pm

@patihum very true about the number and the chain of business affected. I was reading the other day about how farmers have been affected. Having to plow under a crop that they have no market for. It was very interesting - they said that Americans had radically changed the way they eat, even the brands they buy. But also, not eating out.
Still, this is a market disruption which has already happened. People still have to eat. There should still be as much market for food as there ever was, except that the marketing is a different ballgame and needs sorted out.

Restaurants that are able to move outdoors and have space for distancing are doing business without putting the health issues in jeopardy. Some adaptive business owners went straight to building up their take-out offerings instead. There was one guy here, had a new restaurant just about to open when we went into lockdown. He went ahead but shifted gears into take-out, and he's doing lots of business all the while.
I haven't heard any stories of distilleries shutting down. ;) I think they're safe, whether there are bars open or not.

Business like bars, restaurants, gyms, where masks are not practical (can't drink, eat, maybe work out? with one on) and distancing is a crippling cost, they are simply going to keep the pandemic going for a long time by doing business. So regardless of the people affected (who should be helped out in some way) it is not practical to keep them open IMO. Because they will keep covid circulating, they stand to have adverse effects on everybody, the whole economy and anyone who goes to work at any job at all will have to face a bigger risk if they're left open, the personal sickness or death risk, the risk of your office shutting down with an outbreak, the risk of a bigger lockdown happening and affecting your entire community.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

slugworth
Reactions: 77

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Not that I am a bike rider in this heat,but you can't buy bicycles locally since the virus hit.
Nobody is selling them.

clara

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Bicycle business is exploding here, too. If you want to get a special model, you may have to wait several weeks.
per aspera ad astra

worth1

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:50 pm

I HAD a bicycle in today's market would have cost around a thousand dollars, I had it in lay away for a long time many years ago.
I come home from Alaska and it is gone not just mine but my wife's too.
In her craziness from the cancer she took them to good will.
I was and am ticked off big time about it,.
Both 21 speed cross roads bikes.
Her reasoning was I was going to get ran over.
I rode that bike everywhere for years and it stayed in the back of my truck locked up many times.
Worth

clara

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Back to the pandemic: We in Germany have more infected people than weeks ago, not many, but the number is increasing. Some result in local hotspots (large marriages, funeral services), sometimes the way of the infection can't be traced - people returning from holidays abroad, mainly from Balkan states. Our govt. has decided that everybody returning to Germany via airplane from countries with a higher risk than Germany can get a corona test for free - or have to stay quarantined for 2 weeks. One single test just after the arrival is surely not enough, but if a second test a bit later will also be paid? Actually nobody knows. And what about those returning by train or car? No decision yet.

On TV, I have seen young people having parties on the beach or in bars and restaurants (in foreign countries) as if the virus does not exist - no distance, no masks, but a lot of alcohol. It seems that they have escaped from Germany (where all this is forbidden) just to have parties. Responsibility and ethics seem to be unknown to them! In the meantime I wish them to be infected and suffer such a terrible destiny as Nick Cordero. Evil, I know, but I can't stand those **** who put other lives at risk!
per aspera ad astra

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 220

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Kayaks are sold out in my area. My girlfriend bought an inflatable on amazon last year for $85. The same kayak is now on Amazon for $225.

karstopography
Reactions: 396

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Guns and ammunition are in very short supply. Popular models and calibers are almost impossible to find. Supply issues, mainly attributable to increased demand, started with Covid19 and intensified with the summer long civil unrest. Background checks (required for all firearm purchases) for all ethnicities have greatly increased this year over previous recent years, but non-white applications as a percentage increase have outpaced white applicants.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

worth1

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 pm

I'm a hand loader with guns, powder, primers and bullets to spare.
What I am sick of seeing is boats that are worth more than me going down the road.
Worth

worth1

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 am

Friend of mine works up in Alaska.
Had to stay home for seven weeks when this first started.
He was approved for unemployment but has yet to get a hold of them or receive anything other than he was approved.
I hear this same story over and over.
Worth

karstopography

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:39 am

https://news.yahoo.com/no-country-face- ... 07454.html

Interesting. Nordic countries aren’t embracing face masks, evidently. Yet, numbers of new infections staying low. The mystery of Covid19 deepens.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

karstopography

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:03 am

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07 ... od-market/

Watch out for those toxic hand sanitizers.

worth1

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am

I'm thinking about getting one of these.
index(6).jpeg
index(6).jpeg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Worth

slugworth
Reactions: 77

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Aqualung my friend.

Sue_CT
Reactions: 512

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:34 pm

Oh brother, here we go again. Nordic countries must be immune. Sounds like Florida, Texas and Arizona a couple of months ago. "We are not New York." People are idiots. Hermain Caine died today. Diagnosed less than two weeks after attending a rally without wearing a mask. Thousands of people not maintaining social distance and not wearing masks because they were not like New York. Feeling "we will show them" "we will show the country we don't want to and we don't have to" and it is "all a hoax". All the states that thought they were immune because they weren't wearing masks and they weren't sick yet. Florida during spring break. Look we aren't wearing masks and we are all on the beach together and look, see, we are fine. We live in the country, we are not like NYC, see we don't have to wear masks, it won't effect us. We aren't like NYC. We are fine. Look at this countries COVID map now.

People are idiots. JMHO. But people are idiots.

My mistake, I originally said he was a doctor but I confused him with someone else.
Last edited by Sue_CT on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Area 51”