What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Everything About Tomatoes
EdieJ
Reactions:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:20 pm

[mention]Shule[/mention] Then I am glad I got seeds out of it. We didn't plant any this year; I'd used up the last of my seeds last year and forgot to write it on my to-order list 😒
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

wildcat62
Reactions:

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am

Yellow Brandywine was on our menu last night. Simply delicious.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:26 am

Today, I'm impressed by the flavor of these tomatoes, which taste amazing, and I want to grow them all again next year:

* Cold Black Brandy (See the thread on it. I might also add that I think it might make an excellent sandwich tomato.)
* Cherokee Yellow Red Pear (Almost balanced flavor, biased toward sweet, almost fruity (but I wouldn't call it fruity). Has earthy/smoky notes. Most people would probably like it. Eat when fully colored—not underripe; it definitely tastes loads better when fully ripe. Mine were plum-shaped, and seemed brownish, rather than a normal red.)
* Chocolate Chestnut (It tastes like earthy sugar; reminds me somewhat of Ron's Carbon Copy, but has bigger, firmer fruits, not round ones, on a more vigorous plant. Even an unripe one I ate was pretty good, and very sweet! Anyway, the flavor is good. I'm glad I tried this one!)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 am

Had my first beefsteak tomato last night. A classic Brandywine. So good. Now I remember why I'm growing them. In past years, I don't recall getting many fruits before the plant peters out but they seem to be doing better this year.

Labradors
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Garnet finally ripened (mine were incredibly slow to germinate this year and I almost gave up on them). For a little cherry it tastes amazing, the perfect blend between sweet and acid :).

Linda

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:51 pm

[mention]Labradors[/mention]

I harvested my first Garnets yesterday. I was too busy to seed and eat them, though! So, I plan to do that today. I wouldn't describe mine as little cherries, though. I'd say at least medium-sized cherries. They're bigger than these have been for me, anyway: Matt's Wild Cherry, Coyote, Galapagos Island, Sweet Orange Cherry, Austin's Black Cherry, Sweetie, Golden Nugget, Texas Wild Cherry, Jackie, Blue Berries, and Rosella. They're a little smaller than Esterina F1, and about the same size as Brown Berry.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 pm

I'm impressed by Isis Candy again, because it's producing so nicely, and the vines are still growing longer.

Esterina F1 has a much sweeter taste than the first few fruits I tried (but it is the same taste—just intensified). Kind of interesting. I'm impressed at the sweetness. There's no acid to it that I noticed, however. Definitely sweeter than Medovaya Kaplya, and my Medovaya Kaplya cross.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:25 am

Garnet is pretty much the cherry tomato I've been looking for all my life (figuratively speaking), with regard to flavor. It's awesome. Very fruity taste. Sweet. I just ate a number of them, and they were consistently good.
IMG_20200806_023045.jpg
[mention]Gardenboy[/mention] Thanks for the seeds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 am

It's extra nice that I happen to love Garnet since Idaho's state gemstone is the star garnet.

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am

Garnet is from the same people (Gourmet Genetics) who bred Rosella, Sweet Aperitif, Black Opal, Ruby Falls and Bite Size. They've moved on to breeding chillies now, I'm growing a few of their varieties.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:08 pm

I'm impressed with B.S.X. again, today. It's producing a lot, and (most of) the fruits are not small. I think I might grow three of them next year, as canning/dehydrating insurance.

I'm impressed by the Napoli crosses, today, too. Lots of tomatoes on plants that aren't huge. The Napoli crosses are not really slicers, though, but I imagine they would be great for sauce. They're quite a bit earlier than the regular Napoli (which is also very prolific, but I'm still waiting on it to start ripening).

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 am

Today I’m impressed by Vladyka. It’s a pink heart that is outrageously productive. I picked 10 last night and 5 more this morning. Pretty good flavor. I pick at first blush, usually, but there were some ripe ones hiding in the dense foliage.

I’m also impressed by Pruden’s Purple. It’s long been one of my favorite varieties, and i had an especially delicious one today. I like it even better than Brandywine Sudduth.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:40 am

I've been impressed by the Purple Calabash cross that I'm growing (it's red, which is how I know it's a cross). The taste has improved quite a bit from my initial tests, but what impresses me is the color and the production. The newer fruits look beautiful and are a very rich red with a nice sheen. They need to be harvested with scissors, though, since the fruits are easy to rupture during harvest.

I was impressed with the Napoli crosses on Tuesday, as I nearly filled our second largest stainless steel bowl with them (in one picking from among two plants). Keep in mind that they were not fertilized at all, and I practically dry farm them, without support. So, that's quite a bit from two not-large plants for this time of year. Anyway, they should can nicely. In 2017, the tomatoes I grew in that same soil produced few fruits (they didn't have black plastic, though).

My Mexican Yellow cross is producing pretty well (although by the look of the green fruits, most of the harvest is yet to come). The plant is huge and very vigorous (I've pruned it a few times), and the fruits are large.

Joesondo
Reactions:

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:07 am

Casey's Pure Yellow. Big, juicy yellow beefsteaks leaning toward the sweet side. Zone 4b, northern Ontario, Canada.

Labradors
Reactions:

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:43 am

Brandysweet Plum is a large cherry that is sweet and tasty. The trouble is that mine seems to be a disease magnet :(.

Linda

EdieJ
Reactions:

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm

We had BLT's for lunch using the Pink Ponderosa. Yummy! In case anyone wonders what it looks like sliced:
20200819_152734.jpg
And I am saving seeds if anyone is interested.

Oh arggh I can't make the 2nd picture disappear!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 7

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:02 pm

[mention]EdieJ[/mention] I cleared out the extra attachment for you. If you want to edit a future post of unwanted pictures, open the attachments folder at the bottom of the edit page and remove what you don't want. But preview your editing to make sure that what you remove is what you intended.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:14 pm

@EdieJ[/mention], the above post reminded me that I had an attachment to share with you and the rest of the gang. Because of the wildfires in Western Colorado, what was supposed to be a short visit with our 2 year old grandson, has turned into a two week stay. His mother(my daughter) has not been able to get him to eat tomatoes(probably ethylene gas ripened). But I sliced open one of the Estler's Mortgage Lifter tomatoes that you generously offered seeds, and he wolfed down two slices. Talking later to his mom, she was astounded. I have a bunch of seeds that I have ready to ship back to you and when I can manage to get to the post office, I will get them to you.
EMLhenry.jpg
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

wildcat62
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:28 am

Love that pic. He knows what is good. LOL

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 am

[mention]pondgardner[/mention] That is awesome! So glad he likes them. He's a real cutie!! Glad you got to spend some time with him. They grow up way too fast. And thank you for saving seeds!!
Zone 7

Return to “Tomato Talk”