How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
worth1
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:25 pm

I want the wet side out of pure selfishness.
We could really use the rain.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:56 pm

I am reminded never to say "We never get" one kind of weather or another. Never say never, you're bound to be surprised. The thunderstorms (which we rarely get) brought a waterspout, which is almost a tornado (which we 'never' get) and some places got "small hail" (never get).
https://vocm.com/2020/08/24/thunderstor ... st-george/
All I got was rain though. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:40 pm

karstopography wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:02 pm Yep, I’ve spent the entire morning battening down the hatches. Anything loose is now stashed or put away. I’m too high here for a storm surge to be any issue and this storm isn’t going to linger to dump feet of rain like in Harvey. Models now mostly putting it a little east of Galveston not far from the Texas Louisiana border. Not so great for the golden triangle, but better for the Houston and Galveston area. Lot more homes and people to hurt here than there.

We spent the day battening down the hatches also. I secured my potted plants as best I could, with the largest plants going into the garage, but there was only so much room. We have a small generator that is capable of powering the refrigerator and the freezer, plus a few lamps, my two aquariums, and maybe a few other things. Unfortunately, it won't power the 2 air conditioning units.... one for the upstairs and a second for the downstairs. Things will not be good when it happens, but I'm hoping for the best case scenario.

Here's to everyone staying as safe as possible and out of harm's way. I'm worrying about the wind and I'm concerned about storm surge.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Here's hoping for the best outcome for you storm riders down south.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Stay safe those of you who are affected.

Weather here is slowly warming up to 20C/68F for Saturday before another cold change comes through. Typical for this time of year

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:50 am

Galveston evacuating.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:15 am

Heard the traffic is awful. I’m staying put snug at home being outside the cone. Went through Alicia and Ike at home and this one is forecast to hit much more to the east. Chain saws are ready, though. Spent over a week on both of those previous storms cutting up debris. Lived on Surfside Beach for Ike. I did evacuate my rental there for Lake Jackson. Good thing as both my staircases were ripped off the house by the 5 or 6 feet of storm surge under my house. Found one staircase about 300 yards from the house, never found the other one. Power was off for three weeks out at the beach, but power goes off there pretty much daily anyway.

Laura is ramping up in strength and looks to be heading for the Texas Louisiana border. If that’s where it makes landfall, we won’t have much more than a little extra wind. Move it 40 miles closer to Galveston and it will be a lot of extra wind. But, I’ll be watching the track. Wife is in insurance and she’s getting off work early at 1pm. It was non stop busy yesterday with calls “did I pay my insurance?”. Little late for that, buckaroo.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:35 am

Possible cat 4 from one report.
Get ready for panic gas lines.
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:56 am

Hope you all ride it out in safety with the hatches well battened! Cat4 is very scary. :(
I am the same as you karstopography, got to have my saw at the ready whenever we have hurricane or serious storm. More than once I had a tree or trees down across the driveway. It's a good day after, when you can clear that up yourself to satisfaction.
Hope all your power lines stay good.
temperate marine climate

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:13 am

The panic began yesterday. My son has a commute in the city and said it was bad, long lines at the gas stations and jams everywhere. This storm is a lot like Rita in 2005, similar track, panic less this time around only because this storm ramped up strength later in the process. One of my coworkers would leave when any storm came into the gulfno matter where the track was supposed to be.

Rita was deadly, mostly for the absolute chaos on the roads going north out of Houston. 107 people died in the evacuation, way more than were due to the direct storm effects in the Houston area. Fear is a killer.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Just hit cat four do we see a cat five?
Stiil a little time before landfall.
This thing is going to be tough.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Bad storm, indeed. Still not totally comfortable about the projected path as it relates to my own position. The storm cares not one iota or nor is bound to what a computer model or forecaster may indicate. Laura is already bigger and more intense than nearly all of the computer models suggested so there’s already that error in the forecasts.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Laura is up to 150 mph now, at 5 pm, and increasing - 157 is cat 5! I hope that anyone in its path gets out of there!

It was finally low humidity here, and only up to 82°, so I had one nice day! Back to soup the next 3 days, and we may get a small bit of rain from Laura, by the time it gets here.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:46 pm

If Ragun is in Lafayette, he's probably going to get a strong dose of this as Lafayette will be on the right or strong side of Laura. This is gonna be a big one. I hope she maintains that 15mph forward speed and doesn't slow down.

Meanwhile here we're getting just about daily afternoon rain and huge humidities as all this gulf activity is streaming a ton of moisture into the area.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 pm

I hope if Rajun is anywhere near the bad side of this that he gets/got the hell outta there. I have been hearing tonight about "unsurvivable" storm surge, and if you aren't out already, its probably too late. Lets hope they are very wrong on this. :cry:

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 pm I hope if Rajun is anywhere near the bad side of this that he gets/got the hell outta there. I have been hearing tonight about "unsurvivable" storm surge, and if you aren't out already, its probably too late. Lets hope they are very wrong on this. :cry:
Rajun is fine, story has it he is locked up in jail for ruining a batch of gumbo by making it Texas style. :lol:
He's way beyond the storm surge but directly in the path.
I hope to all get out I don't have to drive in evacuation traffic headed to Austin going to work tomorrow.
Worth

JohnJones
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:53 pm

By my very inaccurate calculations I'm about 700 miles from the eye to the east in no danger, but bands of clouds and wind are clearly coming in.

Hurricanes are amazing and terrifying things.

Stay safe and good fortunes to those hunkering down tonight.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 pm

No [mention]Sue_CT[/mention] they aren't wrong about this, it is what it is, we chose to live where we want and pay the price sometimes.
The problem is many make choices and stay that is their choice and they pay.
Been there and seen it.
Just 14 miles or so in from the coast makes all the difference in the world.
Drove through a storm surge one time in the company van with water up to the floor boards getting the hell out.
This storm is going to be one bad bugger for sure for anyone on the wet side.
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:56 pm

Lafayette is further inland than the map of storm surge that i looked at this evening, but still! Bad winds, bad rain, I hope everyone got out in time or really safely secure where they are. I'm not sure if the evacuations were mandatory there, but about a half a million people have been told to move out of Laura's way. :shock: And will be felt further afield as well. Stay safe JohnJones!
Really short notice on this one! Has been many years since I've seen such short notice on a serious hurricane. I think forecasting has taken a noticeable hit, with the loss of wind data from commercial flights - I know our forecast has gotten very flakey with a lot of changing your mind at the last minute and both weather providers I consult are often wrong. Marco didn't do what they expected either. Seriously when has there been a hurricane that they didn't have the track fairly nailed down for 4-5 days before landfall? I've been watching it for years, and haven't seen a "surprise" like Laura. Pretty shocked at the amount of uncertainty expressed in the past few days! :(
temperate marine climate

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Imagine what it was like over 100 years ago when all they had was a barometer to look at and reports from ships sailing in.
And to think just a few weeks ago they said it could be a mild season due to the dust from North Africa.
Yeah right, tell me another one, didn't buy it then and for sure not now.
As for my weather I looked at the next weeks forecast and I want to go crawl off into a hole.
100 plus for at least 7 days starting Friday at 103F.
Good lord.
Worth

Return to “General Discussion”