Labels

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Volvo
Reactions:

Labels

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Think most label their Tomato Vareties like ive been doing for so long with those White T Top or straight plastic Labels.
And has worked succefully to date except ive had these rather annoying Crows come visit and make off with most my labels which has led to some Tomato Varieties im scratching my head to identify???
So came up with this method with tape i previousely purchased from the local Big Green Shed here for tying up my plants which i dont use for that reason any more but have found a handier use for with the aid for a marker and a Paperclipper..:)
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail-1.jpg
Hopefully they wont go ripping that off .
daughter has had a host of problems with White Cockatoos tearing or cutting off her Tomato Seedlings at the base and has driven her to Cage her plants lol hoping they cant get their noggins in far enough to do the damage lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Labels

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 am

Those Cockatoos can be a down right pest at times, well capable of ripping pine cones apart so can easily make short work of tags

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:32 am

Your birds would likely make short work of the clothes pins I use to mark my plants higher up so I can easily read them. One year I had a blue jay yank out all my garlic tags so now I bury them down the sides of their pots, hidden from jays.

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:35 am

I use these. You can put them at the base of the plant or higher up. They hold up well, and if you use a permanent marker, they can be used for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156 ... UTF8&psc=1
The best things in life---are not things.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:15 pm

i write my varieties down in a garden log book with diagram of where they are at.
just make a point of not losing track of the book as the season progresses.

keith

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:21 am

I used blue tape on a top support similar to the first picture. A bird got them all.

Volvo
Reactions:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:57 am

Growing Coastal wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:32 am Your birds would likely make short work of the clothes pins I use to mark my plants higher up so I can easily read them. One year I had a blue jay yank out all my garlic tags so now I bury them down the sides of their pots, hidden from jays.
Meant to sat Stapler rather than paper clips, Staple the Plastic Ribbon ends together ..:)

Reelcharacter
Reactions:

Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:13 pm

A couple years ago I made several year's worth of free plastic plant labels - took a couple old blinds we were throwing out - repurposed the slats and even re-used the pull cord. Later on I saw an instructable on it, so can't take credit for the idea ... but they work great. In some cases, have attached them to a stake or trellis with electrical tape to keep in place.

https://www.instructables.com/Easy-to-M ... ni-Blinds/
Central NY - zone 5a

Glitch
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 pm

Reelcharacter wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:13 pm A couple years ago I made several year's worth of free plastic plant labels - took a couple old blinds we were throwing out - repurposed the slats and even re-used the pull cord. Later on I saw an instructable on it, so can't take credit for the idea ... but they work great. In some cases, have attached them to a stake or trellis with electrical tape to keep in place.

Super idea! When it comes time to toss my blinds, I will definitely be doing this. Never would have thought of it myself.
Miniature enthusiast. USDA Zone 6A.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:27 pm

Whwoz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 am Those Cockatoos can be a down right pest at times, well capable of ripping pine cones apart so can easily make short work of tags
ROFL our pet Umbrella Cockatoo took apart a combination lock and the welds on the bars on the conures cage... they have much more powerful beaks then more folk realize. And that brain behind it is incredible...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Reelcharacter wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:13 pm A couple years ago I made several year's worth of free plastic plant labels - took a couple old blinds we were throwing out - repurposed the slats and even re-used the pull cord. Later on I saw an instructable on it, so can't take credit for the idea ... but they work great. In some cases, have attached them to a stake or trellis with electrical tape to keep in place.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just can't stand to toss out useful stuff like that. :D Been making labels and markers from blinds for ages. I also save the cordage but haven't found a use for that yet. The rods that turn the blinds up and down make good plant stakes.

agee
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 pm

I have tried to do labels with blinds but the ink washes off. According to the article, pencil works better, so I will try that.

rdback
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm

I'm also a member of the mini-blind tag club. Pencil works great. Erases easily the next season for reuse.

Reelcharacter
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:59 pm

agee wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 pm

I have tried to do labels with blinds but the ink washes off. According to the article, pencil works better, so I will try that.
I had good luck labeling on the blinds with "permanent" Sharpie Markers. Lasted until harvest and with a little cleaner, rubbed off in case you care to reuse the markers.
Central NY - zone 5a

Reelcharacter
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm

rdback wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm

I'm also a member of the mini-blind tag club. Pencil works great. Erases easily the next season for reuse.
Good suggestion. Bet that would work really well.
Central NY - zone 5a

HL2601
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:09 pm

The regular permanent Sharpies do wear off, but I have had great luck with the Sharpie Extreme pens.

Reelcharacter
Reactions:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:12 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just can't stand to toss out useful stuff like that. :D Been making labels and markers from blinds for ages. I also save the cordage but haven't found a use for that yet. The rods that turn the blinds up and down make good plant stakes.
I'll get an idea, but often the final result doesn't always come out the way I pictured or expected. With the blinds I measured and cut them up to two different lengths (one shorter and one longer set) then cut points in one end of each (a few together at a time with sissors). Was pretty pleased with how good the final product came out.
Central NY - zone 5a

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:14 am

I haven't had much luck with permanent markers holding up for a season in the sun. Pencil has held up for years in the sun.

agee
Reactions:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:47 am

I have Sharpie Extreme markers which I can't remember if I've used on the blinds. Depending on the circumstances, I also label by writing on painter's tape which I use for seedlings and the ink does run but I can usually make out what is written well enough to get me to the transplanting stage. I know for now that I have not found a solution to get me through an entire season of rainy spring, hot summer and then fall again, but this is motivating me to start fresh with the blinds and also pay attention to what utensil works best (or not) with what label.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Something else that works well for writing on mini-blind tags is that waxy "pencil" called a china marker. That's what I use. It doesn't rub off but that's OK because there's a lot of the same stuff grown every year so some of them can be reused if I'm careful not to snap them in half. They do get brittle from sun exposure. If you try a china marker, be sure to use black. Red and orange fade.

Return to “General Discussion”