What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Everything About Tomatoes
habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:51 pm

593362C9-C56B-4D2A-8F9C-D98E5F582760.jpeg
Agi Red F1. A perfect sweet-tart flavor in a large cherry. The plant was an impulse purchase because I already had about 60 plants pin the ground (though I’d planned on 30-40), and had given away dozens. But I’d just read a post from Fred about it (trellis buster, pick only when fully red for best flavor), and when I saw a plant for sale at the Co-op...

Inzhir Rozovyi, which means Pink Fig. So beautiful, a ruffled fig shape, deep red, thick-walled, with an intense full-bodied flavor. I cut one up and handed it to my “tomatoed out” partner, who had asked for some more tomatoes for the eggplant stew, but started eating it instead of adding it to the stew!
FE89613D-DB3F-4B94-AA7D-17D9BCB7B2F3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:53 pm

My Mexican Yellow cross F3, which I've codenamed Insurance_1 impressed me a lot, yesterday. It's prolific. I'd love to see how much fruit a competition grower would get with it. The plant is enormous, and growing fast, too. I've decided to focus more on it, and related plants, than my Brandy Boy crosses next year. I think I'll grow more F2s and F3s. Maybe I'll get a similar yellow tomato (it's pink).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

EdieJ
Reactions:

Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:52 pm

The one Big Zebra we've gotten so far was finally ripe enough to cut today. Oh my, sooo good! For those who've never seen one:
20200823_171815.jpg
Bottom
20200823_171822.jpg
Interior - although sometimes it is more green with just some red blotches. Sure hope we get more than just this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:23 am

Sungold and place to grow them.
Texas Zone 8A

root_grow
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:34 am

Wow [mention]habitat-gardener[/mention] those Inzhir Rozovyi look really beautiful and fun. I love how each of them has its own character! Are they hollow on the inside, or paste textured?

Dee
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:55 pm

All my tomatoes are still green and on the plants. It has been a poor growing season (rainy, cloudy, and cool) but the varieties that are doing well at this point are Jewish, Black Sea Man, Bellestar, and Hungarian Heart.

arnorrian
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm amazed by Emerald Apple and Chocolate Stripes, they are still producing, and a lot. Other slicers have given up weeks ago.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:30 am

root_grow, the Inzhir Rozovye are halfway between hollow and paste. They have thick walls so the smaller ones aren't hollow at all. The larger ones that are fluted aren't really hollow either, because the fluting fills space. So they have open areas that aren't very large. I will take a photo of a cut one the next time I have one that's ripe enough.

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:30 pm

EdieJ wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:52 pm The one Big Zebra we've gotten so far was finally ripe enough to cut today. Oh my, sooo good! For those who've never seen one:

Interior - although sometimes it is more green with just some red blotches. Sure hope we get more than just this one.
Thank you - I've never seen one; it's beautiful and perfect. I hope you get more.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Today, I'm impressed by Japanese Black Trifele. I harvested these today. There were a few more fruits. The bottom of the bowl (obscured from view) has several Isis Candy tomatoes, but the rest are all from my Japanese Black Trifele plant.
IMG_20200826_195013.jpg
Oh, today, I'm also impressed with a volunteer that might be a cross between Nodak Early and Mountain Princess. I got quite a few round red tomatoes from it.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:58 am

Bella Rosa is one of the few tomatoes left as most have been pulled out. It has managed to resist all of the funk that insisted on hanging around this year. Beautiful tomatoes this year although right now there are only some flowers here and there on the plant. Hopefully more tomatoes to come!

SeanInVa
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am

The first two weeks of August were terrible for us. After a couple weeks of 95F+ with 80%+ humidity (every day was 110-120F "feels like"), we got hit with Isaias, and then several seasonal storms. Over that period in August, we had 12" of rain. This knocked out almost all the tomatoes. The ones that took it in stride and are recovering were the Matt's Wild Cherry and also the Galapagos I received from [mention]Shule[/mention] . I have a few others slowly recovering, but these two are pumping out new growth and setting fruit like nothing happened - despite their lower foliage being completely wrecked, and they've long since flopped over and over-weighted their multiple stakes.

Shule, if you happen to be reading this - I am curious about the history of the Galapagos. Is this from one of the GRIN accessions, or did you receive this elsewhere? Just trying to determine if it's a "true" cheesmanii, or if it has any domestic tomato bred into it. Either way, thank you for sending this one along - I will definitely keep growing it!
Tomato Talk - general tomato discussions with a focus on breeding and grow reports

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 pm

[mention]SeanInVa[/mention]

You're welcome for the seeds. I'm sorry to hear about the tomatoes you lost.

I'm glad you grew it and that it's doing so well. You're the first person other than myself and [mention]Nan6b[/mention] I know who has grown it (with Nan growing it this year, for the first time). I got my seeds from wintersown.org in the fall of 2014. They were listed as Galapagos Island (Solanum cheesmanii). Solanum cheesmaniae is the correct spelling, though (since it's named after a woman, and cheesmanii is masculine, I believe), if it is that species as claimed. I can't say if it's pure Solanum cheesmaniae, but I can tell it's different from my other tomatoes. You don't need a tortoise to digest the seeds for them to sprout; so, I would guess it might be an interspecies hybrid (but I don't know).

In 2014, I think wintersown.org got its seeds through volunteer donations. So, the seed could have come from anyone. They used to do a free tomato seed SASE offer to individuals, letting them pick a few varieties. I got Galapagos Island, Market Wonder, Texas Wild Cherry, Paul Robeson, and some Physalis seeds (I forgot which Physalis seeds, but they probably included the Pineapple Tomatillo and potentially one or both of the Purple, and/or Toma Verde tomatillos).

It's good to hear that it's doing well in heat and humidity. I imagine the Galapagos Islands have some of that, but I don't know. It does well in my semi-arid climate, too, but it gets a much larger plant if I warm the soil with black plastic (which gets me suspecting whether it likes the extra available phosphorus in warm soil, especially as the stems seem to get thicker, and the leaves bigger, when the soil is warmer). Much of our soil seems to be a rather insulated type; so, even if the weather is hot, it can still be cool not too far underneath (so, that's a reason I like black plastic on the soil—although we put it down to keep the weeds out and to help keep the soil moist).

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Stump of the World. Back to back years (2019 and 2020) as the best tasting tomato in the garden.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm Stump of the World. Back to back years (2019 and 2020) as the best tasting tomato in the garden.
Great news. Remy knew her stuff, picking Stump as her favorite. RIP dear Remy. 💖
- Marsha

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:29 pm

image.jpg
[mention]root_grow[/mention] , here are some cut Inzhir Rozovyi tomatoes.
image.jpg

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:41 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:30 am root_grow, the Inzhir Rozovye are halfway between hollow and paste. They have thick walls so the smaller ones aren't hollow at all. The larger ones that are fluted aren't really hollow either, because the fluting fills space. So they have open areas that aren't very large. I will take a photo of a cut one the next time I have one that's ripe enough.
[mention]habitat-gardener[/mention] , thanks so much for posting the Pink Fig photos. I have seeds of that one that I got from Farmer Shawn's distribution and it was too late to make it into this year's plantings. It will have a place in next year's line-up for sure. I just hope that a tomato from that area will be happy here in the hot and humid South.

slugworth
Reactions:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:55 pm

4 weeks after Isaias all of the plants in the garden are dead from the wind/salt spray except for a few that were protected by tall weeds.
But the husky red cherry plants fully exposed took a direct hit and are still alive and producing tomatoes.
They were closer to the ground and protected by weeds.I did lose some to cracking from excessive rain the following weeks.
Normally a container plant,I had them in the ground.
They took a lot of abuse prior to that,I would only water them when I remembered to.
The plants only get sun in the morning until around noon.
Heatmaster I started late from saved seeds and still had them in a plastic dishpan all crowded.
Other varieties expired due to the heat but these are still alive same conditions.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

root_grow
Reactions:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:48 pm

[mention]habitat-gardener[/mention] Thank you so much for sharing more info and pictures of them! Very helpful.

PNW_D
Reactions:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Fred's Tie Dye - from the Dwarf Tomato Project was amazing - perhaps one day too ripe - but still rates a 9!!

juicy, lovely texture, on the sweet side with vague acid follow up - nice balance, no core, good slicer
IMG_7155.jpeg
Zone 8b

Return to “Tomato Talk”