Stable H2 seeds?

Everything About Tomatoes
Shule
Reactions:

Re: Re: Stable H2 seeds?

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:51 am

[mention]Barmaley[/mention]
lol You might be surprised—but I don't grow many dwarfs. So, I'm not the person to ask. But, I do know that those you mentioned probably aren't among the super popular dwarfs that people rave about much, if they are dwarfs. Yes, dwarfs can grow big tomatoes, and more than one per plant, but again, I'm not the one to ask about how much they can produce. I grew a dwarf this year, though (a Husky Red F2), and it got about maybe 12 tomatoes that were a decent size (not large, but medium to salad-sized), last I checked; it was in the shade in probably low nitrogen ground, with a very small plant (like maybe just over a foot tall). I haven't checked on it in a while. Husky Red F1's plant last year got a lot bigger than my F2 this year, and it's not one of the kinds of dwarfs I was talking about (but it is a dwarf).

How many big tomatoes per plant would you like, at the least?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Re: Re: Stable H2 seeds?

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:10 am

ummm I have 2 Dwarf Yukon Quest in 5 gallon buckets in my front yard(translates to neglected and under watered) Between the two I have maybe 10 large tomatoes including one that will need both hands to hold it... Better cared for the production could be higher. They are still green so can't tell you about taste but all the varieties from the Dwarf Initiative Project were selected for taste and most were also selected for production. The plants should grow 2 to 5 ft tall and there are varieties for almost any size, shape and color you could want. Next year I will have a number of dwarfs in my buckets including Dwarf Mr Snow, Dwarf C C McGee, Dwarf Awesome, and a couple of others I have not settled on...
While not a dwarf I am also impressed with Large Barred Boar for production and size of tomatoes on a smaller then normal indet plant. (these are in my back garden) those have close to 10 tomatoes each at the moment. And they are bigger sandwich size not the small saladettes my Stupice make.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: Stable H2 seeds?

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:41 am

@Barmaley
I forgot to plant some tomato varieties that I often grow and had to plant them late. Cuostralee and Cherokee Purple. CP is kind of hit or miss lately. When I first grew it, awesome. Then a yoyo. This year, a miss. I can't explain it. All my black tomatoes this year were not great, lots of concentric cracking and firm texture. But let me tell you, Cuostralee, that is a probably the most consistently great tasting tomato I have grown. Good size, beautiful red color, really full flavor, never mealy. I don't know if you can make them taste as good in a container as they can taste from the ground, but that is the #1 tomato I would recommend trying. Next year I think my entire grow list may be Big Beef, 2 sunsugar, wintersown wonderberries, my little stupice lookalike, sweet ozark orange, and cuostralee.

@shule i'll look that up.

edit [mention]Shule[/mention]
forgot pics Cuostralee, smallish ones but wow best taste this year.
174.JPG
175.JPG
177.JPG
178.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Barmaley
Reactions:

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:22 am

Look beautiful! How do they taste - more on a sweet side?

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 pm

That one I cut was the top left; it already had a burst/split from rain. Another 12 hours would have doomed half of it. I'm no wine taster. Sweet, I guess, but not sugary. Very developed. Just very tomato-ey. And very consistent year to year. They are the tomato I will reach for first when they are available. They may be bit longer time date to maturity. I've been picking Cherokee Purples for a few weeks that were seeded in the same flat and planted in the same rows. The first cuostralee were picked this past week.

These plants are looking haggard by now. They did okay for being late starts and transplanted late June after peas there were cut off. Mostly they've been ignored. Late morning and all afternoon sun, but not much air or water. The caged plants went in a month earlier and didn't do particularly well either. Typically if they go in the ground on time with proper spacing the put out nice big and very "red" tomatoes. The ones on the plate were from a different garden patch, over at the comm garden.
253.JPG
254.JPG
255.JPG
256.JPG
257.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Cuostralee's a good one. I had my largest fruit ever on it. I like its flavor in sauce. It is late, but has the potential to produce well, if it has enough time. The fruits produce a lot of nice seeds well; so, it's really easy to save them.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Talk”