What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Everything About Tomatoes
Nanooknorth
Reactions:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 am

6772F580-A3EA-4522-A6AE-90AF1EF0FC4B.jpeg
I don‘t know how to post pictures of the tomatoes I am impressed with this season. All time favorite cherry scores again with Pink Princess. So sweet but with a decided flash of tang. Productive, little splitting despite the thin skin ( a requirement). Pretty rich pink color. Also impressed but again with Maglia Rosa. What a machine. Healthiest plant left in my container garden. Not as bright a flavor as Pink Princess, but still very good. No splitting.

I grew out Marizol Gold for the Carolyn tribute from some old seed. Wow, what a beauty. Large, some over a pound. Not a gold tomato, but a bicolor with marked red marbling. This this the kind of tomatoes that drips it’s juices down your chin. So sweet, but not the least bit bland, though. Lots of meat, so I was surprised by the juiciness.

I received seeds from Shawn for a variety called La Nanesse. Very nice red beefsteak tomato with generous meatiness. Very productive for me. Scores with excellent flavor, as well.

Finally I will mention Jazz. I am a sucker for pretty tomatoes that please the palate. I didn’t expect much from this one, having grown Orange Jazz and not being impressed with the flavor. These plants got off to a poor start and I was only able to get one plant make it to the garden. That baby took off. I have 7 sitting on my counter, 8 ounces to 1.3 pounds. It checks all the boxes for size, vigor, Beauty and flavor. What a nice find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:48 am

[mention]Nanooknorth[/mention]
That Marizol Gold looks really good. Thanks for the reports. I'm not familiar with Pink Princess. It sounds pretty nice.

[mention]Barmaley[/mention] would likely appreciate your post, too, especially with you growing in containers.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

rxkeith
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:18 pm

pervaya lyubov always impresses me with its earliness, and taste. it is the
earliest full size tomato out of my garden. and the color is just beautiful.

my mama helen #2 plant out earlied sun gold in the small tomato department.
mama helen #2 is a small pink plum at the f4 stage of my anna russian cross grow out.

keith

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:48 am

It's hard to name a star because I have quite a few good ones this year. Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart has been a star though. It's one of those varieties you just can't find and I understand there was some discussion about its original identity. Before it disappeared though, it happened to make it into the New Zealand Heritage Food Crops Research Trust tetra-cis-lycopene trials and had some of the highest measurements. I absolutely had try it for its health qualities and made a donation, acquiring the seeds directly from the trust. They almost didn't make it because USDA was removing tomatoes from their small seed lot permits right at that time. They finally released them, actually misaddressed them the first time, and then forwarded them to me a second time! But alas, they' arrived and they're wonderful! The plants are fairly early and very heavy producers of medium large dark golden oxhearts. The flavor is very good.
Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Debbie

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 pm

[mention]OhioGardener[/mention]
Sounds like a great tomato.

@all

So, today, for me, I was impressed by my Galapagos Island tomato. It's been a lot sweeter, this year, particularly today. It even tastes fruity; one fruit even tasted like a Capri Sun beverage; some tasted citrusy; some tasted kind of like Garnet did earlier this year. The fruits were looking oranger than usual, yesterday, too, as opposed to strictly yellow/gold. Nice and plump and abundant. I was craving some; so, I just went out and ate a bunch right off the plant (probably like 70 of them, and some Sprite tomatoes, too). This tomato hasn't normally been particularly sweet or fruity for me (in my garden, it's usually been predominantly tart/tangy, but not too far away from balanced), and although I've long liked it, I haven't historically craved it much. It was somewhat sweet last year, but not as sweet as this year. I'm tempted to credit the high UV this year and the black plastic for the sugar, but I don't know the cause, and fruits without eastern sun are just as sweet as those with it (so, maybe it's not the UV). It could be acclimatization. A lot of other tomatoes have been extra sweet, too. Acids have been up in at least some varieties, too.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:35 am

My little 9 inch tall Pygmy which has 70 tomatoes on it!
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

root_grow
Reactions:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:46 am

I'm still stuck on Gobstopper. They are finally slowing down now, these 2 plants have been consistently loaded with fruits. And despite that, I didn't even get pictures of ripe ones until today because I can't resist eating them all. :)

And its neighbor, Galina, was completely defoliated at one point due to disease. Gobstopper never blinked.
IMG_2653.JPG

LK2020
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:51 pm

GGWT (the 2 big ones on the left) and Carbon (the next two, with an EM Champion on the right) have been holding down the fort for me, giving me scrumptious tomatoes long before the others (except Fourth of July and the cherries) have ripened. Got my plants in very late, and then Isaias came roaring through, but things are chugging along, just a bit delayed. But these guys are so good ... Yummy, yummy, yummy!

IMG_4028.JPG

LK2020
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Also Rosella (you can see a few of these dusky rosy purple cherries in the bowl) has been fantastic, very productive and love the tangy flavor. A great new regular for my garden.

Then there is the pink tomato in the front on the right, next to some Fourth of July's. This is the second one from my Cherokee Purple in-ground plant ... that is, my Not Cherokee Purple plant.

I got the seeds from Seed Savers Exchange and grew 2 plants - one in-ground and one in a 5 gallon container. Just a few fruits on the container plant and it is way behind the in-ground one, but those fruits are showing some striping and green shoulders, like a real CP.

But I was very surprised to see my first in-ground CP fruit ripening a lovely uniform shade of pink! And even more surprised to see how productive the plant is - and even MORE surprised when the pretty pink tomato was delicious! So it's got 7 or 8 more similar-sized fruits on it (CP often dies after 1 or 2 in my garden, unfortunately, so I'm thrilled), and despite the cracking they are otherwise pretty blemish-free. It's not CP. But it's a really tasty productive tomato, so there you go ... always at least one surprise in the garden, right?
IMG_4047.JPG

KathyDC
Reactions:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:06 pm

I have to give it to Grosse Cotelee. It was the first tomato to fruit, first to ripen, and is STILL putting out fruit. I did lose one plant to fungus about midseason, but the other one has been a production machine, and it still has greenies on it.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 pm

IMG_20200917_201349.jpg
There's always one twin slightly older than the other.....oh constiluto fiorentino
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Tomato Talk”