How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
brownrexx
Reactions: 661

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Certain politicians say that if they are elected they will "get the virus under control" Baloney. No one can control a virus. It's people and their behavior that need to be gotten under control!

karstopography
Reactions: 554

Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Yep, this is a marathon, not a sprint. The USA in the three biggest, most populous states, California, Texas, and Florida have had their first big surge, they didn’t really get the big initial spring surge of deadly cases like New York and New England, and now are on the downward curve in new cases and deaths. Other states that had earlier surges are now seeing some uptick in cases. No way to make this thing go away on its own. Too catchy, too stealthy, too long of a communicable window. Weld the doors shut for a month and it would still find a way to survive, just by being passed around households.

I wonder how long the immunity is for on this? Is it months or perhaps longer? Why do some people have immunity in spite of never being exposed to this specific virus? What will the efficacy of the vaccines be? When do those get through testing and into mass production?

I believe the long term trajectory of this depends on the answers to these questions. At lot at risk, it’s been very destabilizing in many ways, this virus.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 274

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:38 pm

5 months immunity is my guess based on the family I know of in Italy that took that long to catch it again. On the bright side, if you catch it, you can plan your dream vacation for after you recover and enjoy some low priced travel.

The very best case scenario would be to get a vaccine through phase 3 and be distributing doses to the people most at risk, elderly and healthcare workers, by the end of 2020. Continuing with all best case assuptions, the vaccine should be available to the public in mid 2021.

The conundrum is in being able to make enough vaccine for everyone on the planet. There will likely not be enough raw materials to do that with any one vaccination technique. It will have to be several different vaccines, made from different materials and equipment. So not only do we have to do something never before accomplished, making an effective coronavirus vaccine, we have to do it multiple ways, all at the same time.

Sue_CT
Reactions: 636

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:52 pm

I would not plan any vacations banking on immunity if it were me. There are also people that went back into infected households, got it again quickly and died, probably because their bodies were still weakened by the first episode. There is no reliable data about immunity after being infected that I have seen to date.

Bower
Reactions: 934

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Our youngsters are back to school here tomorrow. But meanwhile in other parts of Canada, chaos has already ensued. In Quebec, the first week of classes they had at least one covid case in 50 schools. The 'second wave' is showing in the daily case numbers, for all the most affected provinces.
We are seeing the same as in Europe, a bit of a call for people to go back to the office, stop working from home and start spending money in restaurants and so on. Halifax, they complain that with only 25% of people back in their office lifestyle, there's no lunch rush or happy hour crowd to keep restaurants and bars profitable. They say the restaurants are doing 50% or less of their business this time last year.
TBH, I can be callous about the restaurants and bars. I don't care if we never return to those lifestyles. They will persist in some form or reduced, but there is lots of opportunity for other food based industries to cater to the need to eat. I'm not saying I don't care about people losing their jobs, I'm saying there are other jobs and other opportunities coming for them.
Before the pandemic, it was already known that a move to working remotely instead of commuting to offices would save an untold amount of energy use, reduce carbon emissions, reduce pollution, and frankly, also cuts an hour or more of travel time from workers' day which they can spend in some other way more positive to their lives. Companies were reluctant to take that step until they were force put, by this less than good situation.
But since we have tried it out now, I would much rather see our society move on to permanently doing things in a different way, take positive steps to deal with the other elephant in the room (climate change) and use this bad pandemic scene as an opportunity for positive change.
@worth1 mentioned the airlines.
We know what a huge role air travel plays in needless contributions to emissions... There should be less air travel. Yes it is a huge snafu for those of us whose business depends on tourism, but... maybe that has to change too. IDK what it is, but there's something else we could be doing, I hope, that doesn't put such a huge burden on the planet.
2 cents but what are they worth? IDK.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Sue_CT
Reactions: 636

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Major changes in lifestyles and economies are always painful, and I would never discount that. The pain being felt by people in those industries and who have lost jobs is real. But we change and adapt. Therefore, so does society. But it can very painful to change.

karstopography

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:19 pm

Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

SpookyShoe
Reactions: 922

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:21 pm

In large metropolitan areas, like the one in which I live, restaurants and bars are a very, very big deal. They are a large source of social activity, entertainment, and enjoyment. It's called having fun. I do not want to see them go. I met my husband at a country and western bar.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

karstopography

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:26 am

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

Face masks could lessen the severity of the disease. You still get it, but with a much better outcome.

The dose is the difference. How big a load of virus gets in makes a difference in how sick one gets.

Bower
Reactions: 934

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:30 am

The virology theory that the amount of inoculum plays a role in severity of disease is something I've always followed. Really exciting to see the data that supports the use of masks to do that for covid.
Also although surface transmission is not clear for covid, cautious mask handling and hand washing makes all the sense from this point of view. Anyone knows that small children with runny noses are like a virus bomb for the usual colds and flus... the sheer amount of inoculum is the apparent reason. I'm pretty sure the same would apply to contact with covid-rich nose drippings. It is most likely to cause you a rapid and severe case.
With kids going back to school and the usual viruses and runny noses starting to circulate, covid could be an unwanted hitchhiker (since it isn't famous for runny nose itself). So washing up as well as masking up is going to be my mantra going into this fall.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 274

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 am

Runny nose is actually a quite common symptom. A family member of mine is a contact tracer and deals with positive people daily, which is my source for that info. I don't know if it has been reported in cdc or official sources.

karstopography

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:58 am

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Infected people have had a wide range of symptoms reported – from mild symptoms to severe illness.
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
Fever or chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
New loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea
Look for emergency warning signs for COVID-19. If someone is showing any of these signs, seek emergency medical care immediately:
Trouble breathing
Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
New confusion
Inability to wake or stay awake
Bluish lips or face
Call your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning to you.
Learn more on cdc.gov

rxkeith
Reactions: 102

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

my son is on a club soccer team.

the latest edict from our guvnor says that soccer players must wear masks while on the field.
the team parents will have no truck with that nonsense. yesterdays game with ironwood was cancelled
because the team did not want to go against the edict. another team contacted said they would play
without masks. there will be push back on this one. parents don't want their children to get sick, but we
recognize stupid when we see it.

keith

worth1
Reactions: 1744

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:43 am

I sneeze all the time my nose gets runny and I have to blow it in the morning.
Most of this is from hot pepper addiction.
Woke up Saturday morning and I had lost my ability to reach the high notes when calling my cat.
I was horse for whatever reason.
Took a day or two and back to normal.
I think I slept with my mouth open under a fan.
Don't freak out the other critters ate still around.
19 didn't take their place.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

brownrexx

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:36 am

karstopography wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:19 pm
https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/ast ... n-the-u-k/

One vaccine on the ropes.
This is not all that unusual. We usually don't know all of the details of trials but this one is highly visible and publicized. Any illness that happens to a participant during a vaccine or drug trial must be investigated to see if it was related to the vaccine or drug being trialed. Sometimes, but not always, it is discovered that the illness was unrelated.

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 74

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 pm

@brownrexx so true. I remember some drug trials some years ago (2006 ?) and some of the participants ballooned up with very serious reactions, some had to have amputations. All I remember was it was quite shocking at the time now a drug could get so far as human trial and cause such a reaction

On YouTube when a drug trial goes wrong
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 468

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Bars and banquet halls have been shut down again here.

slugworth
Reactions: 95

Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:32 pm

Sister went to the eye doctor,covid spacing between chairs but the chairs were back to back with somebody else.
I would think that bends the rules.
10 people and she had to wait 1 hour for her turn.
Doc wore no gloves and touched her eyelids during the exam.

brownrexx

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Hand washing kills any germs on the doctor's hands. Gloves are no more effective than hand washing.

worth1
Reactions: 1744

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Gloves are worse if not changed constantly.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Return to “Area 51”