Floridians-out in the garden

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
MsCowpea
Reactions:

Re: Floridians-out in the garden

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Procrastinators Club is a real club! Started in the 50s.
The group's motto is "to promote the philosophy of relaxation through putting off until later those things that needn't be done today." Wiki
Does tend to make for a miserable life at times when things go south.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:01 am

MsCowpea wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:46 pm Marsha, where did you get the outdoor marker pen you gave me? I found one of your labels and it is still totally legible which is remarkable in this heat and rain.
How long did it last and what is the medium? I find the red Milwaukee sharpie like markers to last well for me. I use large wooden craft sticks like a doctor might use as a tongue depressor. The writing last more than a season with no fading.

Still I switched to oil based pens on cedar stakes because the craft sticks start decomposing by the end of the season.
Ginger2778 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:27 pm They amazed me. I get them by the dozen. Heres Amazon with free shipping.
Sakura Identipens on Amazon
Same question. How long did it last and what is the medium? What were some other markers you tried and how do they compare to these? I find marker on wood last longer than on plastic.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am

MsCowpea wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:49 pm I need to replenish my transplant trays and went to a big nursery supply place today that used to carry them and they are out and not planning on reordering. I want really heavy duty trays as I also use them to harvest greens, tomatoes etc.

Can’t get these anymore: They were good for transplants and harvesting. Need a substitution. Thanks.
4B75F502-1FE6-4391-B2AB-B4DDE03CCCDA.jpeg
What are the specifications you are looking for in terms of size, capabilities?

I like the 1020 perma trays for my seedlings. For harvest and storage, I like these bulb crates that I get for $2 each from a local supplier. They look like these.

https://buyusedcontainers.com/used-cont ... ates-small
4E76A0AB-73A7-4EE0-8B20-D48F9DBBB437.jpeg
Those SSI Schaefer crates look great but $17 each kills me. I don’t mind paying for quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 am

ponyexpress wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:01 am
MsCowpea wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:46 pm Marsha, where did you get the outdoor marker pen you gave me? I found one of your labels and it is still totally legible which is remarkable in this heat and rain.
How long did it last and what is the medium? I find the red Milwaukee sharpie like markers to last well for me. I use large wooden craft sticks like a doctor might use as a tongue depressor. The writing last more than a season with no fading.

Still I switched to oil based pens on cedar stakes because the craft sticks start decomposing by the end of the season.
Ginger2778 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:27 pm They amazed me. I get them by the dozen. Heres Amazon with free shipping.
Sakura Identipens on Amazon
Same question. How long did it last and what is the medium? What were some other markers you tried and how do they compare to these? I find marker on wood last longer than on plastic.
It lasts basically for every single day until the last day of the season. It could potentially be years but I always tear down my plants and markers at the end. As for the medium, I have no idea , but if you really want to know, just click on the link and do your research.☺
- Marsha

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 am

ponyexpress wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am
MsCowpea wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:49 pm I need to replenish my transplant trays and went to a big nursery supply place today that used to carry them and they are out and not planning on reordering. I want really heavy duty trays as I also use them to harvest greens, tomatoes etc.

Can’t get these anymore: They were good for transplants and harvesting. Need a substitution. Thanks.
4B75F502-1FE6-4391-B2AB-B4DDE03CCCDA.jpeg
What are the specifications you are looking for in terms of size, capabilities?

I like the 1020 perma trays for my seedlings. For harvest and storage, I like these bulb crates that I get for $2 each from a local supplier. They look like these.

https://buyusedcontainers.com/used-cont ... ates-small
4E76A0AB-73A7-4EE0-8B20-D48F9DBBB437.jpeg

Those SSI Schaefer crates look great but $17 each kills me. I don’t mind paying for quality.
Those SSI Schaeffer trays are the very definition of sturdy and quality. They will only be bought ONCE. I am willing to pay, especially since the shipping is free, and they will outlast me! Plus, this is my retirement my hobby, and what gives me joy, so I want the best. And they hold 6 more pots each than the 1020 trays, and I plant a lot of seedlings and transport them.

Also, [mention]ponyexpress[/mention], did you notice that you have to buy 55 of the ones from your link? They only sell by the pallet! Shipping must be extraordinary on that!
Last edited by Ginger2778 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 am

PonyExpress, the bulb crates look great and at $2 local you can’t beat that. I would have certainly got those had they been available to me
locally. I presume they are the strong type of plastic as they are used commercially. One thing that is no good at all is Dollar Store type of plastic crates/trays - -they don’t hold up in sun and weather.

But the Schaefer trays while expensive will last forever.
Oh well, as Marsha says it is a big hobby and you want what you want once you find something you like (and can afford). Particularly if you grow mucho transplants and need to haul them around. I won’t need too many anyway.

I have perma trays with no holes so they just won’t work when you grow seedlings outside. They are good for bottom watering though.
I also am just not fond of that type of plastic. Sorta of brittle after awhile so they can break or chip.

I did look for agricultural harvesting crates as they would last forever too but they were even more expensive.
You have to buy some stuff locally to avoid shipping charges. But some wholesalers aren’t open to public.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:03 pm

I did not have to go out and buy one pen. I HAD THEM ALL !!! I just needed to rummage around for them.

I hope they all work as I will test them out over the season.

BUT without a doubt the best pen ever is the one Marsha recommends —IDenti Pen!!!
She kindly gifted me one but when it came to buying more I mistakenly bought Staedtler and it is a lot more money.

Now I just got a whole box of Sakura IDenti Pens which I need as my house is a black hole for pens. Paid $23 for a dozen which is a great price.
They are currently unavailable. Paid 10 bucks for 2 Staedtlers couple weeks ago.

I can’t tell you the number of times Sharpies have faded on me. The pain!

And one big mistake in Florida for me was pencil on wood. It got black with mold and I couldn’t read it.

The Margaret Curtain label is one of Marsha’s and it was outside for a year. I just went down to the garden and found it . Most were pitched long ago. No pen has ever lasted for me like that in Florida.

(ADDED: I NEVER PAID ATTENTION TO LONGEVITY OF MILWAUKEE INKZALL and I JUST GOT AM LEONARD so they may be good pens as well. The more expensive Staedtler may last longer but not testing how long the pen will write.)
3F0F806A-E850-4B93-994E-819A533C3A07.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:52 pm

I will get a wooden paint stick and mark on it with pencil as well.
1FE31C41-6E1E-494E-8160-07E093D45281.jpeg
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sakura Identipens

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:50 pm

I just ordered 12 from here. $1 each as base price, plus $9 shipping and tax, came out to $22.46 for a dozen.
https://www.cleanitsupply.com/p-119789/ ... 44101.aspx
- Marsha

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 am Those SSI Schaeffer trays are the very definition of sturdy and quality. They will only be bought ONCE. I am willing to pay, especially since the shipping is free, and they will outlast me! Plus, this is my retirement my hobby, and what gives me joy, so I want the best. And they hold 6 more pots each than the 1020 trays, and I plant a lot of seedlings and transport them.

Also, @ponyexpress, did you notice that you have to buy 55 of the ones from your link? They only sell by the pallet! Shipping must be extraordinary on that!
I agree with buying quality. No argument from me on that. I have a bunch of bulb crates that I use for seedlings, onions/potatoes/tubers and garden produce. I have a local source where I get these very cheaply. They get so many that they sell them cheaply to get rid of them. I thought that maybe you have a similar place down in FL. The link that I posted was the first one that I found with a crate similar to mine. It's not a suggestion to buy them there.

I also get free crates from my local asian grocery store. They're not as strong as the bulb crates but they're free.
MsCowpea wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:03 pm I did not have to go out and buy one pen. I HAD THEM ALL !!! I just needed to rummage around for them.
:lol:

Same here except that I don't have the Identipen. That's a great idea to do a test. I wrote myself a note to do the same.

A good pencil that you might already know is the indelible ink pencil. I use them for marking my dahlia tubers and I can still read the marking clearly after a full season being in the ground. I don't think it will work on plastic.
MsCowpea wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 am I have perma trays with no holes so they just won’t work when you grow seedlings outside. They are good for bottom watering though.
I also am just not fond of that type of plastic. Sorta of brittle after awhile so they can break or chip.

I did look for agricultural harvesting crates as they would last forever too but they were even more expensive.
You have to buy some stuff locally to avoid shipping charges. But some wholesalers aren’t open to public.
I agree on the brittleness of the perma trays. I try to be careful. I do put my seedlings outside in the "greenhouse" when it's sunny and bring them inside at the end of the day or if it's cloudy. They go right into my grow racks which is sized for 1020.

Regarding buying agricultural harvesting crates, maybe you could go to a wholesaler and say that you're getting into a small CSA business? Some of the connections I have are from helping a small CSA. I volunteered a few times helping with pick days and dahlia tuber harvest. So I become friendly with the owner and workers who give me insight into the business and where to get stuff.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:15 am

[mention]MsCowpea[/mention] [mention]Ginger2778[/mention]
I forgot to mention but have you tried oil based paint markers? I been using them on cut cedar shingles. I also have acrylic paint on river rocks that I use for my permanent strawberry beds. They seem to hold up well.
E024F053-D435-428A-967F-86BD9FEE9E13.jpeg

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:43 pm

Barb, I changed my mind and am going to try some of the white trays after all. The trays Marsha recommends are super strong and VERY HIGH quality and will work great for harvesting too but I still want some lighter trays that don’t hold so many pots. I guess I will just end up having several types of trays.

Trialing various products and ideas but still need to figure out all the details.
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:00 pm

We had really bad weather since Saturday and all of Sunday. Rain / Wind / Intense Wind. I put the shade cloth up as wind barriers and took it down this am. Today was suppose to be bad also but just windy - 24 mph. Tomato plants are out in the sun/wind getting thick stalks.
DSC_1339.JPG
DSC_1340.JPG

Last 2 pictures are fruit set - Magic Mountain and Ruby Crush. Could be a record for eating early tomatoes. Just need any Tropical Storms or worse to stay away. No orchid bees yet; so have been buzzing daily.
DSC_1341.JPG
DSC_1343.JPG

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 pm

I can appreciate your battles with the rain and wind. Same conditions here though I am sure the wind you get is stronger and doesnt relent.
You are way ahead with your tomatoes.

The rain wouldn’t stop. All night long. And all day too,

The plants that couldn’t fit on covered trailer were drowning. I had just repotted a bunch. Had to rig up something just to keep the plants dry temporarily but that tarp is leaky and the plants are really small. :( I have clear plastic to switch out with the tarp if it would just stop raining.
BB0CC17F-F562-4D2B-BF32-E23B14D795CF.jpeg

My trailer was covered , thank goodness, discovered a few years ago that cross pieces have to bow out to keep the structure much cooler and aerated .
You cant have that plastic hugging the frame when it is hot or you will cook the plants.
E7463D2C-3BF6-4A6A-AD3A-20EA0A9CCA32.jpeg
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm

That looks good. For the extras that don't fit, why not put them underneath the trailer. That should work well unless you start flooding.

The shade cloth from greenhouse megastore is really good. I've had the same shadecloth for years (lots of years).

Here's one that may work well for your trailer. https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cov ... ount%3d120 I've bought a bunch of them over the years and cut one to size and cover the EB screen so mix didn't fall into the reservoir. Other than needing to pressure wash them at the end of the season, I just reuse the same ones. I wasn't going to this year, and just from solarizing, caused so much mix in the reservoir, I'm dumping the EB to add it back in. That Walmart Promix is great for the wicking squares so i'm doing that at the same time.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Wayne's handywork is doing a great job holding off all the rain. When it stops, I'll get you guys better pictures. You can see the one tray that wouldn't fit under all three of these raised beds, but it's still protected off to the side. The dropcloth top is working out great, it's 6 mil thick, and reflects a lot of the heat. The plant teenagers aren't getting hot at all. That blue pot is where I put the clips during the day when I open the cover to let light in. The West side stays clipped, I just unclip the East, and center, and fold it over. So easy! Elaine, thank you so much for the idea, it's peace of mind for sure.
20200921_144002.jpg
- Marsha

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Barb, its glorious that you are getting tomatoes already. Mine are young! The Broward Rare Fruit Council has ordered 210 tomato seedlings to be ready for November 6, so I'll be starting those seeds on Thursday. Hopefully most of these seedlings will be gone so there will be room under the dropcloth for more.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 pm

So easy! Elaine, thank you so much for the idea, it's peace of mind for sure.
Added: you’re welcome.

Barb, that is a good idea though the water rushing down the driveway may cause them to take in a lot of water through the bottom.
I think that may be happening on the patio now. Normally I try and get them off the ground. The rain has been intense and constant.

I have a huge piece of very good shade cloth but it is too big and too ‘shady’. It was bought for a special project. I ordered a finished piece of shade cloth to fit trailer but with covid won’t get for a long time, I got this cheapy one but I don’t like black. This is a week ago before it was packed with plants. I have used orange security fencing in a pinch.
This time I put the plastic over the shade cloth. I do like the higher height with taller hoops as it places the plastic further away from the plants in case of killer afternoon sun. I can also lift the sides and work under it too. I use the trailer so all this is easily disassembled once transplants are finished growing.
1F49C52D-4E64-4694-A8EC-51C873D92F84.jpeg
Last edited by MsCowpea on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Growing tomatoes in Florida is not for the faint of heart. Where there is a will, we do find a way.

Marsha - I remember Ginny from TV saying "it was like cheating" when she grew tomatoes over the summer in Philadelphia.
Great news on the seedling order. Can you pick whatever you want to grow for them?

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Barb_FL wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:22 pm Growing tomatoes in Florida is not for the faint of heart. Where there is a will, we do find a way.

Marsha - I remember Ginny from TV saying "it was like cheating" when she grew tomatoes over the summer in Philadelphia.
Great news on the seedling order. Can you pick whatever you want to grow for them?
interesting question Barb. He tries to put in an order, saying "this is what I liked before", but I tell him I dont have the seeds, unless I do. He thinks I grow the sane things year after year, and so I always have a ready seed supply. I told him I have over 800 varieties and I can't possibly have the garden space to grow every one of them every year. So I think he got over it because he still loves my tomatoes, no matter which varieties he gets. And they sell really well cuz no one else in South Florida is selling the type of stuff I grow.
- Marsha

Return to “General Discussion”