The Dawg Patch

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fall Clean Up Continues

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:23 am

The fall clean up continues. Yesterday the Colossus field peas were ripped out. Good grief, that one bed generated a ton of vines! Off to Mount Brushmore.

Now you see them....

...now you don't. Those are the September peas in the other bed. They are starting to flower.

I think the next thing headed to the brush pile will be the marigolds. They're pretty much done and all splayed out in different directions. I didn't see any butterflies stopping by them to visit so it's time. The autumn mums (I think that's what those pass-along plants are) are loaded with buds so the butterflies won't have much longer to wait for those. Those plants bring in a different set of butterflies including the first Monarchs I've ever seen.

The cool weather continues and I'm not complaining. Neither are the brassicas out in the garden. The next round of those went out to the porch this morning for hardening off. Just to celebrate, I started another six pack of kohlrabi this morning. And so it goes.

Thinking about Whwoz's fruit trees starting to bloom makes me smile as we slide into fall here.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: The Dawg Patch

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 am

It's a boring time in the garden right now. A waiting game. Some fall plantings are in, some subsequent plantings (other half of turnips and carrots, more brassicas) are waiting in the wings. I've already done the basic garden layout map for spring, indicating which plant families will be in which beds.

For sure, there are chores that can be done. Dismantling the tomato cage set up and dumping out the buckets needs to happen but that can be done when the urge hits. Most big clean up has happened.

One thing that never takes time off is funk. Last evening after I picked some okra I strolled by the Red Ripper field peas. "Houston, we have a problem." There's a leaf spot I've never seen before. An internet search indicates it could be a leaf spot called Ascochyta pisi.

Top leaf surface:

Leaf underside:

Apparently it is one of three variations of Ascochyta that is common to field peas.

Wikipedia says:
"Areas where rainfall and/or high humidity occur during the growing season are most conducive to the success of Ascochyta blight.[9] When the crop canopy closes, the infection often intensifies due to the dense growth that prevents dry air from entering the canopy. Incidentally, the disease symptoms are often most prevalent at the base of the plant initially and spread up the plant with time."

Well, the peas had 2" of standing water due to TS Sally passing through the area so I'm not surprised. And the four rows have grown so much the canopies are pretty closed. Limited air flow. Temps are now in perfect fungus range. Last night I sent the photos to our extension agent who might have to forward them to UGA for diagnosis. We'll see.

Meanwhile I will just use what fungus spray I have. Not today as it's misting with on and off drizzle. The next dry day. I've never had a single problem with field peas before but there's a first time for everything.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

More Fall Progress In Da Patch

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:53 am

Yesterday was cool and overcast, a fine day for transplanting. I got several more broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower plants set out. The fourth and last batch is under the lights.

There are now three Packman and three Umpquas broccolis out now, each planting about two weeks apart. These are the Packman plants, set out 9/7, 9/19, 9/28.

In the front are six of the eight cauliflower plants with collards and kale on the other side of the bed. The cauli were planted in sets of two on the same dates as the broccoli.

The bush beans are getting bigger and flowering. I remembered how they flopped towards the middle of the bed in the spring, making picking a stretch until I ran some baling twine down that side of the plants to hold them up. So that's what I did yesterday before they got that big although they were already starting to lean over. I can add a second string higher later if necessary. Contender beans on the left, Provider on the right.

Two more straightneck squash were transplanted out on Sep 4 and are being grown to a stake, something tried for the first time this spring and that worked really well. I think being off the ground is keeping them healthier. Yesterday I picked the first squash from each plant. Loads of flowers too! Tomorrow I need to mulch these and the other recent transplants after today's promised rain has passed.

And finally, it's always nice to enjoy the fruits of the labor. One lunch this week was kielbasa simmered in homemade kraut, carrots, green beans simmered with potatoes. Good stuff and a lot more on the shelves.

Last edited by GoDawgs on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:14 am

YUM! That looks so good. I thought you were saying you made homemade kielbasa too, and I was going to have to buy a hat in order to tip it to you. I was never that fond of either kielbasa or sauerkraut as a kid, but cut to about 18 years ago. I walk into a funky antique store / lunch counter place in Jacksonville, and the lunch guy had made this intense kielbasa sauerkraut soup that smelled like my Pennsylvania Dutch / Eastern European heritage just exploded in a bowl. I'm hoping the cooling off trend here in Florida is real, because a hearty soup sounds good. What are your overnight lows getting to? - Ann

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Bugs And Trellises

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:10 pm

For the past two weeks we've had a hatching or whatever of a bug we've never seen around here before. After doing some looking on the internet I found that it's the lovebug, a harmless bug that usually swarms Floridians and their vehicles in March and September. It's the first time I've seen them here. They are *everywhere* but I think they're finally going away.

They are sometimes called the two-headed bug as during and after mating they fly around still hooked up butt to butt.

I was thinking about next spring and trying the Tahitian Melon Squash alongside the Zuchetta Rampicante I did this year. In my internet wanderings I came across a blog where the gardener trellised her winter squash with great results. I think I will try that for these two rambunctious viners. It will keep the vines off the ground and out of the way. The gardener uses cattle panels cut in half and mounted vertically with t-posts. Easy to do and sturdy enough. Here's a link to that article:

https://abundantminigardens.com/bountif ... ed-squash/

She also does watermelons that way:

https://abundantminigardens.com/growing ... trellises/

That got me thinking about next year's sweet potatoes. That one extra slip I planted on a trellis last year made some great sweets. Pickles and I were talking about it and have decided to also do the sweet potatoes on a trellis in a bed instead of wandering everywhere over the open non-bed spaces. They won't need the heavier cattle panels and so I'll use the regular field fencing for them.

Geez, the fall garden is really just beginning and already thoughts of spring are popping in. :shock:

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Some of the sweet potatoes that I planted this year are close to a chain link fence, and the foliage climbed up into the fence

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Bean Issues (?) and Radishes

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 am

It’s time to plant radishes. I’ve decided to plant a few feet every other week Now let’s see if I remember to do that!

Yesterday I planted a daikon radish whose seed I bought at a Korean grocery store last week. It’s just about the same one I bought there three years ago. Fortunately I don’t need to know how to read Korean to plant radishes. These big honkers need a 4” spacing.

I planted the radishes in the middle of the carrot bed. Might as well use the space as it won’t be needed until flowers get planted there next spring. 2’ of the daikon went on the left. On the right there’s 1’ of French Breakfast with 1’ of a freebie Philadelphia White Box behind them. Come to think of it now, I should have planted the daikons on the other end as their leaves will get really big. I will next sowing.

The Provider and Contender beans are coming along fine and starting to make. However I noticed a difference in plant size on both ends of the bed. This is the left end where plants of both varieties are definitely smaller.

On the right end, just the Providers (closest to camera) seem smaller. I wonder if it’s nematodes at work although the plants still seem healthy, have had a ton of flowers and are setting beans.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Gettin' Close To "Done"

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:12 pm

It's officially fall here when the Camellia sasanquas start blooming. Last week I noticed the first 'Apple Blossom bloom, a pretty white single form tinged with pink.

Then today I noticed the first few blooms on the "Leslie Ann", a white double form, also with pink edges. Both shrubs are blooming about 7-10 days earlier than last year.

The first light frost is still a few weeks away, usually by the end of October before the first killing frost hits mid November. The houseplants have been vacationing outside all summer (happy, happy, happy!) and this past weekend sister Pickles did some repotting, dividing, etc getting them ready to come back inside so there will be no last minute rush to do that later.

Today I set out the little onion plants I started in early August. They're little but they'll do fine, especially with the clouds that rolled in after lunch and the Delta rain we're supposed to get tomorrow. The right side of the bed has some bulbing onions; Australian Brown, White Creole and Texas 1015. On the left are the scallions; Guardsman and half of the Shimonita. The rest of the Shims will get set out in 2-3 weeks. That will help stagger the finish.

In a few minutes I'll go sow the other 9' of turnips. The first 9' went in Sep 11 so there will be a nice stagger there for fresh eating. Once that's done the only things left to plant in the fall garden will be some kohlrabi plants in a week or so and some radishes sown now and then at intervals.

Y'all have a great weekend!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Pickin' and Grinnin'

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Over the weekend I cut into the bowl portion of one of the two zuchetta rampicante and baked it. The wall of that part of the squash was pretty thin, about ½” thick and baked up in just 15 minutes! The lesson is that most of the goody in that squash is that long solid neck. Then I saved all of the nice fat seeds, tossing anything that felt immature.

One minor disaster occurred with the deer netting enclosure around the field pea bed. Pickles was mowing and although she didn’t get real close to the netting, somehow a piece of it got caught in the mower blade and in a heartbeat one whole side got torn off. :o I think the wind must have blown it out into the grass which covered it. She had to get the mower jack out to raise the riding mower and cut all that mess off the blades. Oh well, I was going to take the netting down soon any way.

This afternoon I did the second picking of the Contender beans and came away with just shy of 3.5 lbs. Pretty beans! I’ll be doing the tip ‘n tail when I finish here as they’ll get canned tomorrow with the other 2 lbs of Providers picked yesterday. I also got more jalapenos and some of the last okra.

Finally, I’m down to just a few more fall plants to put in. Three cabbages, a 6 pack of kohlrabi and a 6 pack of arugula which will go into a window box on the porch. I believe I’m finally glad to see the last of stuff needing planting! :D

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Puttin' Up and Other Putters

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:37 am

Yesterday I put up 6.5 lbs of beans, roughly half Contender and half Provider. That made an even dozen pint jars with none left over. That also makes 34 jars on hand. We always put up extra beans in the fall in case next spring’s bean planting fails for some reason. That happened one year so we’d rather have extra on hand than run short. There will be one more wave of beans in a week or so and those will be eaten fresh and/or given away.

I noticed a dark moth on the ceiling of the front porch yesterday morning so I got out a step stool for a closer look and took a photo. It wasn’t that dark after all; it was just in the shadows. It is a Large Maple Spanworm Moth, Prochoerodes lineola. Wing span is about 2”. I've never seen one like this before. We don't even have that many maples around here!

Today's clouds make for a good planting day today. There are just a few plant putters to do. I need to plant the six arugula starts in a window box for the porch. We're out of potting soil but there are all those big buckets of soil the tomatoes grew in and I can add some compost to that. Then there are six more kohlrabi plants to set out and more radish seed to sow. And if I feel like it, I can broadfork the garlic rows. Southern Exposure, the folks I ordered more garlic from, quickly replied to my inquiring e-mail that they will be shipping to Georgia in about two weeks. That will complete the fall garden.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Staggerin' In The Garden

Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 pm

Garden chores are now a series of small putters. That's good because I think burn out was starting to set it! Six arugula sets finally got planted out in a window box on the front porch. They’ll be a nice addition to salads. This year I’m going to try to remember to start more for a second box so there will be more arugula ready when these first ones think about bolting but I can’t remember when that should happen. I'll have to see if last year's notes have any mention of that.

There are now three sets of six kohlrabi in progress. The first set was seeded on 9/2 and planted out 9/27. The second set was started 9/22 and planted out this past Wednesday, 10/15.

The third set of 6 was started Thurs 10/15 and they were up this morning. I'm looking to plant these out on 11/6.

I’ve been planting radishes down the middle of the carrot bed. The first group sown on 10/5 are up and running while the next 2’ line of each were just sown on Wednesday and they’re not up yet .

These are the stair-stepped cauliflower on the near side of the bed. There are four pairs , each pair started about two weeks apart. I’m hoping this will result in a nice even supply of cauliflower instead of an avalanche all at once. There are two collards and two kale on the other side.

I’m doing the same staggered planting with the turnips. The older ones in the back were sown 9/11 and the new ones on 10/9.

Finally, I picked more beans this afternoon, about a pound and a half. The few Strike plants are done. The Providers and Contenders have a second round of little beans making so we’ll be eating fresh beans for a while yet provided the "F" word doesn't decide to visit any time soon. :lol:

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 am

At some time I had mentioned here or elsewhere that I couldn't find a good OP broccoli that does well here. Someone suggested Umpqua so I'm growing it along with my usual hybrid Packman. Several days ago I had to cut the first Umpqua head prematurely at just 3” wide as it was loosening up. Then I found out it’s named after the Umpqua River in Oregon and although it’s OK for zones 3-10 it is best suited for the PNW. We're having a warm October (highs in the low 80's) so it's not happy. My bad. I should have researched it better first. Lesson learned. Since the plantings are staggered, maybe the later ones will do better when temps finally cool down.

The new-to-me garlic I had on order arrived. It’s Lorz Italian, a softneck which is supposed to do well here in the South as it will resist bolting through our very variable spring temps. It also has all large cloves which I really want since I detest messing with small interior garlic cloves when I cook. I ordered a half pound and the bulbs are pretty, the cloves really fat. I will wait until Oct 31 to plant, the next moon day for planting root crops. The rest of the two rows will be planted with some Russian Inferno and Siberian which was planted last fall and harvested this spring.

It's been garden clean-up time. The zinnias and marigolds were yanked out as they had given their last. The deer netting enclosure around the field peas was taken down. Boy, what a mess! Peas had grown through the netting along the edges and I had to cut vines to release the netting. We laid the netting panels in an open area so that when the vines dry it will make them easy to just crumble out of the netting.

And finally, the fire ants have been working overtime lately. I discovered a mound being built around the bottom of some stacks of 1 gallon pots! Time to mix up a few more gallons of dishwashing liquid. "Death From Above!"

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Last Of The Beans & Garlic Prep

Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Yesterday was garlic bed prep day and I tried a different way this fall. The bed had already been loosened with a broadfork's 16" tines. I dug a trench on each side of the bed and filled that with compost from the buckets that the tomatoes had grown in. A pickup load of this compost had been bought this spring for the tomatoes and I didn't see any need to waste it. It'll all go into the beds eventually.

Then I applied 10-10-10 and turned that it. Finally I raked the soil that had been dug out back over the filled trenches. All ready to go now. Until I see how much garlic I have left after planting I’ve been buying a few bulbs for kitchen use. The most recent one is from WalMart and is a beautiful white bulb with really big cloves and zero small ones in the middle. I have no idea what variety it is but I’m going to plant a few cloves to see what happens.

The fall green beans are now history. From the two 18' rows in one bed we got just shy of 15 lbs of beans total in the 15 days since the first picking. However, one 5' stretch of plants on the Contender side of the bed started looking a bit stunted a while ago and I suspected nematodes.

I pulled one of those plants and the roots did indeed show that was right. All 'toded up! The rest of the plants in the bed all had some signs of nematodes but grew just fine and produced well.

This afternoon I sowed some mustard seed in the bed, with the goal will being to grow and turn under several sowings of mustard. Hopefully that will knock the ‘todes back enough to allow successful planting of something else in the spring.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Garlic Planted And Other Progress

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 am

The garlic was planted yesterday and I mulched it this afternoon. I had the hose to soak the leaf mulch as it was put down because a wind is kicking up out there. The mulch is a mix of leaves, grass clippings and pine straw so the grass clippings part of it weighs it down a bit more when it’s wet. The former bean bed now with mustard freshly sown down the sides is on the left.

This planting is quite a mix. On the right side is 7.5’ of Lorz Italian which is new to me this year. The rest of that side has some very fat cloves from a garlic bulb I bought at Walmart for the kitchen, some Siberian and some Russian Inferno I had left over from last year. On the other side is more Russian Inferno, some more Siberian I found and a 6’ mix of Maiskij, Scilla, R. Inferno and Siberian. It should be interesting. The mix is a lesson in learning to remember to mark drying garlic bulbs accurately.

The carrots are enjoying the cooler weather and I planted some radishes in there with them. To the left is the pepper bed. I took all of the peppers off them since we might get our first frost tonight.

The Umpqua broccoli has Head #2 getting ready. The weather has cooled off and this head is 4”, unlike the 3” width of Head #1. It’s still not as big as the 7” wide Packman I cut a few days ago but it’s getting there.

The first two Stonehead cabbages are wrapping. The larger of the two was set out 12 days before the second one. I’ve already cut the first Early Golden Acre and we had some for lunch today.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

First Frost and Toasted Plants

Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:30 pm

We had our first frost yesterday @ 36 degrees. Usually it’s a light one but this year it was pretty heavy . The brassicas would their own out in the open so I protected a few things that needed it. I covered the two camellias by the back porch as they are in full bloom. Just enough cover to protect blooms or the blooms would look like old sad rags in the morning.

I also put a light fabric over the carrot/radish bed and some old sheets over the pepper/turnip bed. The carrots probably didn’t need it but they are young and full of new growth so it was better to be safe than sorry.

After everything was uncovered this morning, the sheets were hung up to dry on the empty tomato cages.

The field peas and okra are toast now. Good riddance to the field peas which were the first I’ve ever grown that didn’t make. After standing in 2-3” of water due to one of the many tropical storms this year and being munched by deer AND being hit with some fungus, baby pods would just dry, shrivel up and fall off. Time to yank them out. There's always next year! However I'm not without peas. The September Vining peas I tried from gifted seed did well. They're well-behaved plants too and have earned a spot in the garden. Thank you, thank you, Seed Gifter!

I’m going to let the okra plants hang around a while to let the pods dry up for seed collection.

It's now dark so early and I'm still trying to adjust! By 8:30pm it feels like 11:00! I refuse to go to bed at 8:30. :lol:

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Saving Things

Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Daylight Savings Time is gone but there are still other things to be saved.

These are the very last peppers saved from that first frost. Some Gypsy, green Red Marconi, more jalapenos, a few small bells and the ancho peppers. There’s also the Batch #2 fermented jalapeno sriracha sauce that I canned in the pressure cooker. There are some who say doing that will ruin the flavor but since I don’t know the acidity of the mix, don’t know how long it will last in the refrigerator and am not a purist, I canned it. Batch #3 got started yesterday. I am tossing out Batch #1 as some cayennes ended up in it and it's too hot for my taste. I'm not interested in working my way up the heat scale. :lol:

I did a five seed germination test on the seeds saved from one of those two Zuchetta rampicante squash grown this year. All five are up.

It’s that time of year to start saving leaves for composting next spring’s garden. Pickles has a good start on the first pile and will make a second one about the same size. This year we used just about all of the two piles and what’s left will be spread out on the beds shortly. Making a second pile should be easy as the leaves are just starting to come down. This pile is mostly pecan leafs with some grass clippings and pine straw mixed in. Yet to come are the oak and sweet gum leaves.

The few sweet potatoes that were left from last year got tossed as they were vining like crazy in their basket. However they don’t give up the ghost easily and have covered the area where they and the kitchen scraps go. It will be fun to see what’s in that pile once the vines die back. As they were under the protection of an oak tree, the recent frost didn’t touch them.

And finally, living a peaceful, retired life out in the country has its advantages…

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:26 pm

I'm considered anti social but my profile says otherwise I just need down time to recharge.
Sort of like an all in or all out type of person.
This is why my young 30 year old work mate and I get along so well with each other.
He is the same way.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

It's Really Fall and Clean-up Time

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:54 pm

It really is fall today. There’s been a good northeasterly breeze out there today and the air has been filled with falling leaves. It doesn’t feel like fall though, with highs in the upper 70’s lately and probably all next week. That’s OK. Enjoy it while ya got it!

It’s also garden cleanup time. Two days ago I pulled out the pepper plants and sowed another 9’ of turnips along the edge of that bed. Yesterday I pulled out the four rows of Red Ripper field peas. Those vines had to be 10-15’ long and all tangled up together. What a mess! Big old roots too but the one thing that surprised me was the moisture in the soil. It was pretty damp even though I haven’t watered them in weeks and we haven’t had much rain. Between good leaf mulch and all the vines, the ground stayed pretty covered. And NO nematodes! Each row yielded a pile like this. Another contribution to Mt. Brushmore.

Camellia japonica ‘Berenice Beauty’ has started blooming about three weeks early. These blooms are about 3.5” wide.

I was able to get some French Breakfast and Philadelphia White Box radishes from the garden along with parsley and arugula from the front porch boxes. More fruits of the labor. The Philly radishes were a freebie from one of the seed companies this spring and it's the first time I've grown them. That reminds me I need to plant several more feet of radishes.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mo' Fall Stuff

Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:51 pm

More clouds today as what's left of TS Eta dithers down in the Gulf. Yesterday it got up to 84 with a stiff breeze but today is a much nicer 74 with just a hint of breeze. The soil temp is 70, still great for planting stuff. The 9' of newly sown turnips think so as they're popping up.

Yesterday I prepped six holes for planting more kohlrabi tomorrow in front of older ones. That's the third set of 6 and I think tomorrow I will start 6 more that will be ready to plant in another 4 weeks. Maybe I'll even continue that all winter long just to see if the young plants will do in colder weather. The other night some deer heavily munched the plant on the far left! Harumph!

The older kohlrabi, including the munched plant, are starting to get bigger. It was 25 days from seed to transplant size and 45 days from transplant to this stage. The variety is 'Blauer Spec', a variety with smaller foliage that allows for closer planting. The seed came from Baker Creek.

Meanwhile, the scallions (on the left) and bulbing onions (on the right) are big enough now that I can mulch them well for the duration.

And finally, three of the five garlic varieties are coming up.

And that's about it for now. Y'all have an easy day today. Goofing off IS allowed! :D

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi GoDawgs,
Glad the September Peas did well for you. I had a good crop too! Just picked the last of them last week. Saved some seed for next year. My Dad swore by these for his main pea crop, and I don't remember a year they didn't do well. Our family has been planting them for 50 years. I just got my younger sister interested in planting them again this year. They had a bumper crop too this year.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”