Favorite tangerine cherry? (does it have orange anthers?)

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Favorite tangerine cherry? (does it have orange anthers?)

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Bower wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 pm @Shule don't tell me to breed a brown tomato shaped like a stick, it's too much! :lol:
Hmm. While that would be interesting, I just meant to suggest doing the following:

* Get a dog trained in recognizing and eating only beta carotene tomatoes. Since dogs tend to recognize and enjoy the smell of beta carotene (in such as carrots and pumpkin), training them shouldn't be that difficult, compared with many other things.
* Pick all your orange tomatoes of unknown genetics, and set them before the trained dog.
* Let the dog have at them.
* Plant the ones the dog doesn't eat, since they might be more likely to have tetra-cis lycopene instead of beta carotene. (Unless, of course, dogs also have a preference for tetra-cis lycopene, which is a possibility—but you could train them to avoid it, I'm sure, since it probably smells different.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they could use trained dogs to help identify tomatoes and plants with all sorts of chemicals. Of course, the dog wouldn't have to be trained to eat them.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Daniel Ricks
Reactions:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:29 pm

Clkeiper wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm I have several growing in my high tunnel still at this late date. there is not any red blush to any of them.
*Shrugs shoulders* I'm still quite the newbie in this world. I probably speak more assertively than I ought more often than not. Looking to learn, so this is good to hear your experience (so thank you!).

Daniel Ricks
Reactions:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 pm

Shule wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm
Bower wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 pm @Shule don't tell me to breed a brown tomato shaped like a stick, it's too much! :lol:
Hmm. While that would be interesting, I just meant to suggest doing the following:

* Get a dog trained in recognizing and eating only beta carotene tomatoes. Since dogs tend to recognize and enjoy the smell of beta carotene (in such as carrots and pumpkin), training them shouldn't be that difficult, compared with many other things.
* Pick all your orange tomatoes of unknown genetics, and set them before the trained dog.
* Let the dog have at them.
* Plant the ones the dog doesn't eat, since they might be more likely to have tetra-cis lycopene instead of beta carotene. (Unless, of course, dogs also have a preference for tetra-cis lycopene, which is a possibility—but you could train them to avoid it, I'm sure, since it probably smells different.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they could use trained dogs to help identify tomatoes and plants with all sorts of chemicals. Of course, the dog wouldn't have to be trained to eat them.
That would be fascinating!

P.s. Shule, I'm still working my way through the list you posted earlier on, learning about some of the different varieties. Your comment about the Lemon Boy F2 was HILARIOUS. I actually laughed out loud. Twice (1st read, 2nd read). :lol: Pre-edit: Three times, after finding quote.
Shule wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:21 pm and at least these yellow/gold ones (in the past):
* Mexican Yellow (good production; I recommend)
* Lemon Boy F1
* Lemon Boy F2 (This is the most dangerous tomato I've tasted. It felt sour enough to strip tooth enamel. I didn't eat more than one or two—probably just one—and that with great caution and amazement.)

Daniel Ricks
Reactions:

Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:55 am

I reached out to Frogsleap Farm on Facebook to see if any of their releases had the tangerine genetics, and they responded back (yay!). Their releases are going through the name Cream of the Crop Tomatoes, being sold by A.P. Whaley Seed Co.

They responded that their Apricot Zebra (a golf ball-sized orange tomato with stripes) is homozygous for the "tangerine" allele.

That felt so weird, because I felt like it was a response from a celebrity, given that I've learned so much over the last couple of years from their blog Frogsleap Farm!

Daniel Ricks
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:36 am

I reached out to Fred Hempel at Artisan Seeds to double-check some information about Orange Jazz tomato, an orange beefsteak tomato with stripes that is supposed to have reduced catfacing. He got back to me and confirmed that Amana Orange was used in the breeding of Orange Jazz, so that should be another one that is homozygous for the tangerine allele, since that's where Amana Orange gets its color from.

I also reached out to Brad Gates at Wild Boar Farms, but haven't heard back from him yet. He's got a new release called Atomic Sunset, which is an extra-large orange cherry with anthocyanin stripes/shoulders where exposed to sunlight. It sounds like it was a cross between Brad's Atomic Grape and Orange Roma but there was a typo that made it less clear, so I wanted to confirm with him. If it does get its orange from Orange Roma and there was nothing from the Green When Ripe Brad's Atomic Grape, it should get its orange from being homozygous for the tangerine allele as well.

I'm sure there are some among the ranks of Tom Wagner's many releases, but I haven't been able to identify any yet.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 pm

[mention]Daniel Ricks[/mention]

That makes me want to grow Orange Jazz even more. It's already on my 2021 to-grow list, though! Did he mention what was used for regular Jazz, by chance? Is Amana Orange in its ancestry, too? I know regular Jazz is not orange.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Have you looked into Valencia and Nebraska Wedding? They're not cherries, but they're not big.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:04 pm

I'm curious how the stripes on Orange Jazz impact the tetra-cis lycopene, if at all. The green-stripe gene is one of those that can help contribute to high zeaxanthin tomatoes, in association with other genes; so, that's why I'm curious. Granted, I think there are at least two kinds of genes that make stripes that look like that (I believe those in Green Zebra and Tigerella are different, or at least have different origins).

I have a striped Amana Orange cross. The F1 wasn't orange (I think it was brown). Maybe I should grow it again and select for orange fruit.

Daniel Ricks
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am

Shule wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 pm That makes me want to grow Orange Jazz even more. It's already on my 2021 to-grow list, though! Did he mention what was used for regular Jazz, by chance? Is Amana Orange in its ancestry, too? I know regular Jazz is not orange.
Your post in the Amana Orange Strains thread tipped me off to Orange Jazz, so it's on my 2021 to-grow list now too. :) Do you already have seeds? I ordered some from Artisan Seeds and they put 50 seeds in a pack, so I could share. It looks like a really nice choice, the stripes of course but then also it's supposed to have less catfacing than most large beefsteaks.

As far as Jazz, I didn't ask and he didn't say. I imagine Amana Orange is in its ancestry, but got selected away from by the going down the red path. He refers to the 'Founding Five' in some of his older Facebook posts, from which most of his releases have descended. Among them are Amana Orange, Cherokee Purple, Striped Roman I think, Black Cherry, and another I can't remember. Hopefully I have those right.
Shule wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm Have you looked into Valencia and Nebraska Wedding? They're not cherries, but they're not big.
No, I hadn't looked at those before. They look like well-shaped medium size options. So many options! Although I'm not sure of their tangerine status or not, but I'm guessing they are since people say that the oldest orange tomatoes were not Beta or Delta, since those hadn't been brought in from wild species yet. I'd be curious to know more about that timeline.
Shule wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:04 pm I'm curious how the stripes on Orange Jazz impact the tetra-cis lycopene, if at all. The green-stripe gene is one of those that can help contribute to high zeaxanthin tomatoes, in association with other genes; so, that's why I'm curious. Granted, I think there are at least two kinds of genes that make stripes that look like that (I believe those in Green Zebra and Tigerella are different, or at least have different origins).

I have a striped Amana Orange cross. The F1 wasn't orange (I think it was brown). Maybe I should grow it again and select for orange fruit.
Yeah, I'd be curious to know too. Also about the different types of stripes. It sounds like Amana Orange has been a good new parent for people! Wondering if your F1 showed any faint striping?

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Yes, you could see the stripes. It was pretty much like Green Zebra's. Amana Orange tasted better, but the fruits were the same shape.

I've never seen catfacing on Amana Orange.

I think I read that Valencia was a tangerine type, on a thread in a different forum. I've grown that one. It tastes about like my other tangerine tomatoes that I've grown.

Yes, I already have Orange Jazz, thanks to Marsha's 2017 SASE seed offer. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks for the infornation about the varieties used in the breeding. Great choices, IMO.

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”