Favorite gardening tools

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
ponyexpress
Reactions:

Favorite gardening tools

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:28 am

I have a few favorite gardening tools that I’m very passionate about. One of them is the McGuire Bamboo rake. I’ve been looking for another one because invariably someone grabs the McGuires and I get stuck with the crappy one. I finally decided to do a search and it appears they are no longer made. :cry:

The rake is the middle one of the three. Not sure how old it is, probably at least fifteen years I’m guessing.
9089E5B6-4DBD-47AE-90F3-7773CA984AC6.jpeg
I did stop by my local hardware store and picked up this rake that is very similar to my beloved McGuire.
70785B51-F638-4C2D-82F7-A605B9EFE0D2.jpeg
Haven’t used it yet.

My other favorite tool is the bonsai scissors from Chikamasa. They’re lightweight, small, and easy to use to trim in the garden or to divide up my dahlia tubers.

They are the two top (red) scissors in this picture.
81B68290-DEAF-4966-95FA-107DEC8EA9D4.jpeg
Another favorite that use to be easily found in stores are the Gardena quick connect fittings. They are made in Germany but are harder to find in the US. I’ve tried other quick connect fittings but they are not as good as the Gardenas. You can add and remove the fittings while still under pressure which you can’t do with other fittings that I’ve tried.

They are the red/orange gray fittings in this picture versus the black gold junk from Home Depot.
444EEC7A-D5DC-4709-978C-567885A24209.jpeg
These are some of my favorites. What are yours?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Favorite gardening tools

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:34 am

B1FF5D17-ACD1-419F-B8E6-17867BA6051D.jpeg
This Hoss Tools Gardening Fork. I don’t use a motorized rotor tiller to work the soil, the garden fork takes care of that. This one is indestructible and won’t break even when the oak tree sends big roots into my plot. No corrosion, no wood handle to inevitably break, total beast of a fork.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:47 am

karstopography wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:34 am This Hoss Tools Gardening Fork.
That's a very nice fork. It looks very similar to the King of Spades shovel that I have. Could they be made by the same company?

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:51 am

One in the same, Hoss tools. :)
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am

[mention]pondgardner[/mention] I also love those quick-connect fittings, but I only use the plastic ones on ones I don't dis-connect as often as the ones like the hand sprayer for the hose - I've broken a number of plastic ones on that, and a couple of others. The metal ones I use are the solid brass ones, from Harbor Freight. The rubber seal lasts about 2-3 years, before cracking, but they are cheap, and the male fittings last forever. They are usually $4.99 for 4 male and 2 female fittings, but in spring they usually have a dollar off coupon. The metal on some types I have tried is brass coated aluminum, and it eventually corroded while connected, and was not easily disconnected.
ImageHarbor Freight quick connects. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cutting implements of all types are my most used tools - knives, scissors, and pruning tools - as well as the most numerous out there! I have a couple of knives out there that aren't as good as what I have in the kitchen, but they are fine for what I cut up out there!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:52 am

This is my favorite hoe for close-in weeding. It was passed on to me about thirty years ago by my garden mentor who was in her early 80's at the time. She called it a finger hoe. Heaven only knows how old this hoe is. It has a handle about 5' long but so light I can use it with one hand if necessary and you can get in real close to plants with it.

This is The Beast, my name for the broadfork. Made of steel, it's heavy but those 16" tines really loosen up soil in the beds. I can't remember who made it or where I ordered it from but I've had it about ter years now.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:06 am

Anything like a grape hoe.
The ones the the handle going through an eye in the hoe.
Best hoe ever.
XAE1.jpg
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 am

karstopography wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:51 am One in the same, Hoss tools. :)
Hoss do make some nice tools that have a pretty green color. They also sell stuff from other vendors. So your fork and my spade are made by WW Mfg. It's interesting that the WW stands for Walt's Welding.
pepperhead212 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am @pondgardner I also love those quick-connect fittings, but I only use the plastic ones on ones I don't dis-connect as often as the ones like the hand sprayer for the hose - I've broken a number of plastic ones on that, and a couple of others. The metal ones I use are the solid brass ones, from Harbor Freight.
Even though the Gardena are made of plastic, they're surprisingly durable. I can't recall breaking one. I did break one of the knockoffs from Melnor. Gardena does have some made of metal & plastic that are more durable. I got very frustrated with the other companies quick connect offerings. They're just not reliable and will leak or be difficult to connect after a short while.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:06 am

GoDawgs wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:52 am This is my favorite hoe for close-in weeding. It was passed on to me about thirty years ago by my garden mentor who was in her early 80's at the time. She called it a finger hoe. Heaven only knows how old this hoe is.
Looks nice! My favorite hoe is a stirrup or hula hoe. I have two. One I bought myself and the other was given to me for free on Freecycle. I have several tools with old, weathered wood. I hope to give them a light sanding and then wipe them with boiled linseed oil. Have you done this with your tools?

JohnJones
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:07 am

shopping.jpeg
3e219a57-e6d4-4de4-a345-99a50efd02ab_1.e0981f1a7f598b952baab021c29b58e0.jpeg
I bought the two items on clearance at Wally World for less than $5 total last winter. I used them a ton this year.

The bulb planter made popping in transplants a breeze.

I never understood how many ways a garden knife comes in handy. I used it everywhere.

I'll have to upgrade these when they wear out as the quality is not great, but it was great money spent considering how useful they've been.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:26 pm

That looks a lot like my favorite weeding tool. The Japanese Kana hoe. I panic when I can't find it and keep a couple of spares. It has a similar shape but narrows to a point for close weeding. It is a short handled tool.

edit: Of equal importance the Kana hoe is also my planting tool. I dig and prepare the transplant hole with it.
GoDawgs wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:52 am This is my favorite hoe for close-in weeding. It was passed on to me about thirty years ago by my garden mentor who was in her early 80's at the time. She called it a finger hoe. Heaven only knows how old this hoe is. It has a handle about 5' long but so light I can use it with one hand if necessary and you can get in real close to plants with it.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:32 am

Loving the new trowel I got this year from Amazon. Friend kept trying to take it so I bought her one... she loves it not just for gardening but also for gold panning...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000Q6KSUU/ref=dp_prsubs_1]
image.png
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

rxkeith
Reactions:

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:13 pm

i have a couple stirrup hoes i got from jonnys that i really like. weeding is much easier.
the other tool is a triangular shaped hoe that i use for digging furrows for planting potatoes,
garlic, beans, and what not. also used for digging smaller holes for transplants.

keith

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 am

zeuspaul wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:26 pm That looks a lot like my favorite weeding tool. The Japanese Kana hoe.

Kana hoe for weeding and prepping a planting hole.

Flat claw hammer for tougher weeds in harder dirt. Also for digging in difficult dirt.

kana and claw.png

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:04 am

zeuspaul wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 am
Flat claw hammer for tougher weeds in harder dirt. Also for digging in difficult dirt.
Glad that my dirt in Mass is not that hard where I need a tool like this.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:11 am

My soil has never been that hard, even before I started digging all the compost into it. However, a friend, that is digging up several areas on their new property, has hard clay, and could use those! They are going to have a lot more leaves than I get every fall, and already they are looking ahead to fall, and collecting the leaves! They definitely caught the gardening bug! However, they have more varmints to deal with, for sure.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:29 pm

ponyexpress wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:47 am
karstopography wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:34 am This Hoss Tools Gardening Fork.
That's a very nice fork. It looks very similar to the King of Spades shovel that I have. Could they be made by the same company?
I have never had a square ended shovel like this one, but I nearly bought one today. I was wondering if this might be the very item for cutting through really deep sods? If so it would be worth the cash.
I am really fond of my light pick-mattock, which really is versatile and not as heavy as my older favorite pick-mattock now less used... But I ended up hurting my back and neck last week, trying to dig a trench for potato bed setup in my Dad's old garden now disused for a decade. The soil is fantastic down there but oh wow what a job to break through the grass and weeds. I was tidying up the shed there this week and came upon an edger - I tried it out on the field and it seems like this might be the solution, you drive it down with your foot and it seems to cut right through. The square shovel though, if it is meant for the purpose, would cut even deeper... what do you think?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:46 pm

Bower wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:29 pm I was tidying up the shed there this week and came upon an edger - I tried it out on the field and it seems like this might be the solution, you drive it down with your foot and it seems to cut right through. The square shovel though, if it is meant for the purpose, would cut even deeper... what do you think?
This shovel goes more easily through sod/roots than any of my other shovels because it's sharp and strong. I'm not sure that it's a great sod cutter. The challenge I have is that because the spade is tall, it's a bit awkward to use it for a lot of lawn edging when you have to lift your foot higher. I did buy a separate lawn edger tool that is half-moon shape and is only like 4-5" high versus the 12"+ of the spade shovel. So it's easier to do a lot of edging since your foot is not as high in the air.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:34 pm

Tx for advice @ponyexpress . Yeah your shovel looks like a very sharp blade anyway, but the one I looked at today didn't necessarily look so sharp, and it had little crooks on the edges instead of being full straight. Only 12 bucks so half the price of anything else in the rack. Maybe not the real deal. I will see what I can do with the old edger and if that's the miaow I may even invest in a new one.
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 pm

zeuspaul wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 am
zeuspaul wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:26 pm That looks a lot like my favorite weeding tool. The Japanese Kana hoe.

Kana hoe for weeding and prepping a planting hole.

kana and claw.png
For anything so tough you use a claw hammer, I would recommend the 2 lb pick, like this one:
Screenshot_light-pick.png
I do have a small hand pick that I use for weeding but it doesn't have the weight of a claw hammer, and would be useless for really hard dirt. The light pick is a great tool for many jobs (recent injuries notwithstanding!). I use this to weed overgrown beds and it's excellent. Very fast extraction. As long as it's not total sods.
temperate marine climate

Return to “General Discussion”