What's your favorite pepper?

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
karstopography
Reactions:

Re: What's your favorite pepper?

Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 am

I like Super Chili. Mine seemed to ripen almost all at once, which is desirable when I want to make a hot sauce. I made 3 different hot sauces this past season and the super chili based one was the consensus favorite. Super chili plants aren’t space hogs either, with a compact and productive little bushy growth habit.

I like the long thin cayenne peppers for flakes. Tabasco peppers are my fav for spicing up pickled okra. That 5 digit level of heat is generally plenty enough for me. Tabasco peppers thrive in hot and humid weather and keep on producing when some of the others fade due to excessive heat.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:46 pm

After reading all the posts. I think Poblano won the vote for most favored pepper. Perhaps that is why it is the most grown pepper in Mexico? I do think it is the most easy to grow for me.
1. I like Santa Fe Grande for a hot pepper. I can vein them, and eat them raw. Those with heat tolerance can eat the entire Fe Grande pepper, seeds and all. I use them for canning mostly. Most of the pepper rings you see on a store shelf, is the Grande peppers. Hungarian Wax has no heat consistency for me. I have grown them too hot to eat. Santa Fe has a more stable heat each year. Which is about half of a Hungarian Wax. I know-- I'm a heat wuss.
2. Sweet Pepper ? That would be a Sheepnose Pimento. Let them turn full red for flavor. Excellent in stir fry, and great every way you can imagine-- except stuffed.They are small with thick walls. Which means little cavity to stuff.
3. All purpose peppers ?? That would be Sweet Golden Maroni, and Poblano. Both are a work horse for me.
PS-- I've accepted the fact that I'm not a good bell pepper grower. I grow many bell pepper plants that perform well for the friends.
I grow them also, but generally I'm ashamed of my production compared to theirs. I found it odd no one mentioned Cubanelle. It is a easy to grow-- highly productive ?

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 pm

[mention]TomHillbilly[/mention]
Have you tried shredded wood mulch or black plastic? I read that peppers like black plastic, and I know from experience they like shredded wood mulch.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

kath
Reactions:

Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Oranos F1 was a very tasty sweet orange winner this year but a bit stingy compared to Cornito Giallo F1, which is my favorite sweet yellow. Cornito Rosso F1 beat Palanacko Cudo this year for taste and production but attracts lots of stinkbugs. Jaluv an Attitude meets all of my hot pepper needs, is very prolific and doesn't crack when it ripens.

goodloe
Reactions:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:03 am

20210804-171937 (1).jpg
My new favorite pepper these last couple of years is Prairie Spice. Very productive, good size, and a nice "sneaky" heat...
More info here: https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... rie-spice/
20210620_1108542.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:36 am

I love the big red bells that I buy in Walmart in the winter. Wish I knew the variety name!

Linda

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:45 pm

This year, these sweet peppers are looking pretty good:
* The orange version of Golden California Wonder
* Jimmy Nardello Italian
* Ajvarsky
* Coral Bell
* White Cloud

I still need to taste most of them.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

mama_lor
Reactions:

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:13 am

If I could only grow one pepper it would be Padron. And for powder, it would be a frutescens.

rdback
Reactions:

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:19 pm

goodloe wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:03 am 20210804-171937 (1).jpgMy new favorite pepper these last couple of years is Prairie Spice. Very productive, good size, and a nice "sneaky" heat...
More info here: https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... 108542.jpg
Prairie Spice is a good looking pepper! Might make a good stuffer. Alas, the seeds are "Out of Stock". Perhaps a MMMM candidate?

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:27 pm

For disease-resistant bell peppers and my overall favorites, "Alliance" and "Declaration." For disease-resistant sweet long peppers, "Carmen" and "Atris." For decent performance from old standbys, "Park's Whopper II," "Big Bertha" and "Gypsy." All of these recommendations are for the hot, wet, humid mid-Atlantic and upper South.

More details for people who like reading long-winded essays:

We had just about given up on growing peppers because we had several years in a row of awful disease that stunted and killed the plants before we got any decent peppers. The leaves would become mottled and misshapen and then drop off, usually not too long after the peppers began to form. We'd end up with sad-looking sticks with a few small, wrinkly, leathery diseased peppers hanging off them until they, too, dropped off. Very depressing.

Last year we planted about a dozen varieties of sweet peppers as a trial: Alliance, Declaration, Park's Whopper II, Big Bertha PS, Gypsy, Colossal, Crispy, Jupiter, Snapper, Thunderbolt, Godfather, and Atris. Alliance and Declaration were a miracle for us -- healthy, beautiful plants which held their leaves almost until frost and produced about two bushels of peppers from four total plants (two of each variety). The peppers were flavorful, large, solid, heavy and perfect, very few lost to any kind of rot or damage. They also produced steadily all through the heat of mid-summer, no significant lull. I really recommend them highly for this climate. Both are available from Harris Seeds, but prices are pretty high now (about $10 for a pack of 50). I got a pack of Declaration seeds from Harris during their May sale for $3.26, but Alliance wasn't on sale. Other companies do sell Alliance, including a sample pack of 8-10 seeds at Seeds'n'Such for $2.79.

Park's Whopper II, Big Bertha, Gypsy and Atris were the other decent producers in the trial. Whopper and Big Bertha had more disease than Alliance and Declaration but still produced decently, especially in late summer as the temperatures started to drop. Atris was healthy and a heavy producer but the peppers were slow to turn red. Gypsy produced well early but went down to disease in August.

Colossal produced well initially but succumbed to disease quickly. All the rest were utter failures, with basically no production before death by disease.

This year, Alliance, Declaration, and Atris are all doing great again. Whopper is doing very well. Carmen is healthy and loaded with peppers. Giant Marconi has produced maybe 6 large peppers, with a few more still on the plant, but the plant suddenly dropped most of its leaves this week, so I think it's near the end of life.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”