Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm excited about growing 'Ҫekirdeği Oyali' watermelon again this year, more for the beautiful seeds than anything else. Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:19 am

looking to see what develops from my uncle steve/grandma gina pole bean cross.
i have four different seed types to work with. i am at f4 i believe this year. looking
to stabilize something good.

my anna russian cross i am working on. the two candidates i plan on growing are from the
mama helen line. one is a large saladette that is deep pink. the other is small pink plum type
with robust growth characteristics, both with good flavor. they are f5 this year.
my lempi line has four types worth growing out, but they have to wait a bit, just too many other
things need growing.

we really like the winter squash. hubbards do great, as do thelma sanders, scarchuks supreme. i want
to get a buttercup in the mix too.

there will be a new bean or two to try.

looking forward to growing some of the micro tomatoes that gary sent me.
no telling what other tomatoes might show up in the garden this year.

i would love to be able to consistently grow some good melons and watermelon, but weather is
a factor. might try growing in a gallon pot in the back of the truck for added heat. peppers seemed
to like it last year.

keith
Last edited by rxkeith on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:54 pm

rxkeith wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:19 am looking to see what develops from my uncle steve/grandma gina pole bean cross.
i have four different seed types to work with. i am at f4 i believe this year. looking
to stabilize something good.

my anna russian cross i am working on. the two candidates i plan on growing are from the
mama helen line. one is a large saladette that is deep pink. the other is small pink plum type
with robust growth characteristics, both with good flavor. they are f5 this year.
my lempi line has four types worth growing out, but they have to wait a bit, just too many other
things need growing.

we really like the winter squash. hubbards do great, as do thelma sanders, scarchuks supreme. i want
to get a buttercup in the mix too.

there will be a new bean or two to try.

looking forward to growing some of the micro tomatoes that gary sent me.
no telling what other tomatoes might show up in the garden this year.

i would love to be able to consistently grow some good melons and watermelon, but weather is
a factor. might try growing in a gallon pot in the back of the truck for added heat. peppers seemed
to like it last year.

Do you use "plastic" mulch for melons?

keith

bower
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:38 pm

I'm excited about peas! Dry peas, soup peas whatever you want to call them, are a new crop for us. This year I grew seed for a crop + just enough for a few tasters. I still have a bunch of varieties from a friend in UK last year which I still have to try, plus another ten came from Nicky's swap! Over the moon about several dual purpose peas which can be eaten fresh or dried. Got to get ambitious about trellis, and hope to go home in 2021 with bags of peas for winter, and another set of seed to crop in 2022. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm

I am excited this year by a couple of varieties I ordered from Bunny Hop Seeds:

Kewalo - because it sounds like a good one for North Carolina's heat, humidity, and disease problems
https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... ct/kewalo/

Charles Wright Pot Belly Okra - it has a good story and looks like a fun okra to grow.
https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... ders-only/

I am also excited to grow two of the Nu-Mex Peppers. I have grown these before and they are a staple in my garden.
Nu-Mex 6-4 Heritage Pepper and the Nu-Mex Jalmundo Jalapeno Pepper

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:04 pm

I bought two packages of cilantro seeds.
Going to see how they do here in the winter in Central Texas.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:16 pm

friedgreen51 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm I am excited this year by a couple of varieties I ordered from Bunny Hop Seeds:

Kewalo - because it sounds like a good one for North Carolina's heat, humidity, and disease problems
https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... ct/kewalo/

Charles Wright Pot Belly Okra - it has a good story and looks like a fun okra to grow.
https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... ders-only/
These both look interesting! And I just received Kewalo (along with 150+ other packs of seed) from the MMMM swap!!

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:32 pm

friedgreen51 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm
I am also excited to grow two of the Nu-Mex Peppers. I have grown these before and they are a staple in my garden.
Nu-Mex 6-4 Heritage Pepper and the Nu-Mex Jalmundo Jalapeno Pepper
The Nu-Mex Jalmundo is my all-time favorite jalapeño...seed I purchased last year was a total dud and I hope to have better luck this year.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Tracydr
Reactions:

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:46 pm

Squash and pumpkins. The Seminole pumpkin did so well this year for me. I have a couple of hundred pounds of delicious,sweet, low fiber pumpkin to use for purée.
I’m going to plant some other highly resistant squash such as Anna Butternut at a better time,rather than too late in summer.
Also would like to dedicate more to green beans. Had our first small patch of bush beans and they were so tasty and productive. Along with long beans which we enjoyed later in the season.for tomatoes, going to try some of Hoss tools determinate varieties for canning in hopes of more production.
Hoping to have more room for non-pepper/tomato crops to have more variety since we are trying to eat mostly what I grow and preserve.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm most excited about all the as yet ungrown tomatoes! This year I am going to grow some along a theme (one is French heirlooms, the other is trialing Brandywine varieties side-by-side), plus of course continuing to select for a ribbed cherry tomato from a cross I received some years ago.

I'm also really excited about trying to grow some cucumbers and pole beans. This year I grew a cucumber that was unexpectedly gifted to me and I wasn't really able to plan for it very well. This year I'll be more deliberate with trellising. I'm going to grow a red cucumber and Mexican Sour Gherkin, which intrigues me as at maturity they're supposed to already taste like pickles (!!).

And I've never tried to grow beans, so that will be an adventure.

JenniferBella
Reactions:

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm

@goodloe A few more may have made into my cart! Shimo was sold out (a friend has!) but I was able to get Groovy Tunes and Sweet Electra. I am holding off on Sweet Electra but Groovy Tunes is such a beautiful colour. I also got carried away and I planted Dean Haley's Rainbow - gorgeous! It will find a spot beside my Painted Lady runner beans near my furnace under lights lol ok there is already many things under lights but it had to be done! My daughter is under two and her little fingers go for the micros when we are tending to our indoor garden, she loves tomatoes, so I think this will be our tradition in the winter. The sweetest are Venus and Monteka - definitely will do those again. Micro Tom is closest to a regular tomato and I have no idea what Rosey Finch tastes like as hubby ate the last one that I was saving to get seeds. The heartache! One will ripen soon! Loving the baby maters!

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm

I so excited to grow tomatoes this year all new varieties but super excited for corn because I grew it last year for the first time and it was amazing I love growing green beans and zucchini gonna try the white scallops this year never tried it so hope it taiste good but my main and always is tomatoes oh and cucumbers never had any luck yet but I try every year same with peppers always nothing

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 pm

I had a great year for carrots so I’m looking forward to growing them again, especially the variety called Sugarsnax. Amish Bottle Onions will be exciting to watch as I have a bunch of sets to grow out to full onions and hopefully will get some seeds to grow into sets again.

There’s a new vegetable called Kalette that I will try which is kale/Brussels sprout hybrid.

I’m excited about the many strawberry varieties that I will grow: gariguette, jewel, seascape, honeoye, albion, and Mara des bois.

Gabby1
Reactions:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 am

Nan6b wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm I'm excited about growing 'Ҫekirdeği Oyali' watermelon again this year, more for the beautiful seeds than anything else. Image
I seen someone made some beautiful earrings with these! So cute!

AZGardener
Reactions:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:53 am

I'm excited to grow some of the new dwarfs and micro-dwarfs. Cowpeas, beans, and peppers. Started seeds on the 12th for tomatoes, peppers were started the 5th.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 am

One more item I'll be excited to grow is the Chinese String Eggplant from Baker Creek. It's definitely different!

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 am

I'll be planting a couple peppers
Two will be a Jalapeno and a Tobasco that i brought in for the winter. The third will be a cross i made of the two this winter. Its my first time crossing and the pepper is turning color now. I hope it worked 🤞
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

LindyAdele
Reactions:

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:17 pm

I have a radish addiction. Last summer I discovered I loved them ( they were the only things the racoons/rabbits didn't touch). I eat them every morning for breakfast with a little butter and salt! So this year I'm growing 5 varieties of radish. They fit nicely in and around other things!

I'm excited for sweet garden peas, magnolia is my favourite but hard to source. A friend saved me seeds from her crop last year, I haven't grown them in a while!

I'm excited for new tomato beds I'll be building in a sunnier spot in my yard, and hoping for more productive tomatoes!

I'm excited to try some new to me tomatoes - Orange Accordian and Granny Cantrell , and I might try a few dwarf plants for the first time?
LINDY

zone 5
short season, with hot summers, Ontario Canada
Enchanted by colourful vegetables that can be grown in her city backyard, world cuisine, forests and firelight.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:36 pm

I am just so excited with the mmmm varieties. I planted the first 50 today. Miss Parton and Miss Scarlett made the cut with SOTW and another 22 varieties.

Changed my mind and couldn't wait till next week so did another 50 today - lots of peppers and more tomatoes (Hawaiian pineapple and some more F1 crosses I made) and three varieties of aubergines :-)

Looking forward to seeing the fish pepper, escamillo F2, takanotsume, sugar rush peach and shishito and loads more....

Ordering another 200 wooden labels and plastic drinks cups.

Thank you all
Last edited by Amateurinawe on Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm

Always excited to try to me tomatoes. Usually try to grow something new or different as well—this year it will be peanuts. Hopefully we have a warm summer. Will roast in shell and salt.

Return to “General Discussion”