Nature's Perfect Shape

Everything About Tomatoes
Rockoe10
Reactions:

Nature's Perfect Shape

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 pm

I had a tomato last season that had straight sides. The majority of them were hexagons, though the one i took a picture of had closer to seven sides. Would anyone know what causes this to happen? Or maybe if this is a particular varieties trait? It was supposed to be a money maker, but the packet of seeds i purchased had several off types, this being one of them.

This is the one from my garden
20200812_190017.jpg
This one is a really good hexagon shaped tomato i found online in my searching for answers.
iR2q8Xf-uUNX7U-tMMMwRzeReSBL96v2BhtVt0X7_4w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

bower
Reactions:

Re: Nature's Perfect Shape

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:14 pm

Cool! 8-)
Shape genetics are really complex. It's often hard to know how they will interact with one another.
There are at least two major genes that increase locule number, my guess your hexagon tomato has one but not the other.
Some other genes or qtls governing the extension of skin and filling of the space between seed locules has given the flat sides.
Nice looking mater!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 pm

I recall someone telling me way back in the '70's that breeders were trying to come up with a square tomato to make for less wasted space in packing and shipping. I guess this is the result!

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Did these maters grow in clusters? The others pressing on it could account for some of the shape.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:53 pm

Wow, so interesting. Hexagonal, everyone gets an even slice and it sits on the plate nicely- well, i suppose if there are six in the dinner party but you know what i mean. Other than the obvious shapes does anyone else know anything more about this ?
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Interesting [mention]Growing Coastal[/mention], this could be a result of some industry's experiment. Thankyou to whomever put in the work, i enjoyed this surprise.

[mention]Nan6b[/mention], yes they were in trusses, but not too the point that they would cause each other to be shaped like this. And nearly all of them were like this. If anything, id go as far as to say this one has an odd 7th side due to possible bunching 😁. The hexagonal shape was definitely due to heredity. Though I'm not sure what role the environment played with this particular variety. That is to say, temperature and water could have caused this particular plant to produce this shape. However, it was only this one plant that did it. Which sparked my interest in the plant.
- - - - - - - -

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:41 pm

A nice shape. But when like that, the flavor is almost always off, in my garden. I get that shape along with the issue of internal white tissue.

For me, the perfect shape is the Fibonanni fractal found in Romanesco broccoli. It's been perfectly impossible for me to get it to head.

HenriSportif
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:41 pm

That is pretty cool, Rob - did they taste good, and did you save seeds? Very interesting that it was consistent on just that plant.
~Bee

This then is life - How curious! How real! Underfoot, the divine soil - Overhead, the sun.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:05 pm

[mention]Tormato[/mention] ,i just looked up that variety of broccoli. Is that for real?!? Very cool!

The taste was not abnormal, and was similar to the other Money Maker tomatoes I got off of different plants.

And I sure did [mention]HenriSportif[/mention] ! I labeled the seeds "Star" for now. Wasn't sure what it was, or if it was purely environmental.

Took me a while, but i finally got the joke Gary. Thankfully not as long as the sequence.....
- - - - - - - -

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:05 pm @Tormato ,i just looked up that variety of broccoli. Is that for real?!? Very cool!

The taste was not abnormal, and was similar to the other Money Maker tomatoes I got off of different plants.

And I sure did @HenriSportif ! I labeled the seeds "Star" for now. Wasn't sure what it was, or if it was purely environmental.

Took me a while, but i finally got the joke Gary. Thankfully not as long as the sequence.....
The broccoli is real. But, I've never heard of a home gardener having success with it. I haven't seen it in a supermarket in about a decade. Last time was a 5 lb head @ about 2.99 a pound, $15 total and worth every penny for that flavor.

rdback
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:39 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 pm I had a tomato last season that had straight sides. The majority of them were hexagons, though the one i took a picture of had closer to seven sides. Would anyone know what causes this to happen? Or maybe if this is a particular varieties trait? It was supposed to be a money maker, but the packet of seeds i purchased had several off types, this being one of them.

This is the one from my garden
20200812_190017.jpg

This one is a really good hexagon shaped tomato i found online in my searching for answers.
iR2q8Xf-uUNX7U-tMMMwRzeReSBL96v2BhtVt0X7_4w.jpg
[mention]Rockoe10[/mention]. I have grown Moneymaker as well, and also experienced the flat-sided fruit. I purchased the original seed from Trade Winds in 2019. I saved seeds and grew it again from those saved seeds in 2020 and the flat-sided trait repeated. Just an fyi.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Thank you [mention]rdback[/mention] . So it's looking more and more like this is a trait that i could keep and play with if i would choose to.
- - - - - - - -

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:15 am

I've grown romanesco a few years ago. I have seen it for sale at our local grocers regularly so there must be a local farmer around here, it is a pretty head.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Tomato Talk”