Mayonnaise Musings.

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
worth1
Reactions:

Mayonnaise Musings.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:08 am

All things mayonnaise.
Your favorite, what you do with it and much much more.
I'll start with my favorite.
Duke's mayonnaise.
Another is or was imported from Germany but it's hard to find' can't remember the brand but if I see it I'll recognize it.
I like Kraft mayonnaise too.
Then there is the Kewpie Japanese mayonnaise that many rave about.
I would never order it so haven't tried it as of yet.
But that will soon change.
As I was in the store this morning I saw some.
Rather expensive but what the who, might as well go ahead and see what all the fuss is about, right.
No way would I replace my Duke's with it due to cost no matter how good it was.
Simply because I use si much.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Mayonnaise Musings.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:58 am

My greatest fear is no more.
Tried a taste tested with absolutely no bias and Duke's mayonnaise wins.
Not saying that Kewpie isn't good because it surely is but not so good as to forsake my favorite mayonnaise for it.
Not even close.
Price or no price difference I would still choose Duke's.
I think it might be the paprika and cider vinegar that I like in Duke's.
Worth

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:06 pm

I use Chosen Foods Avocado Mayo because of the type of fat. It has monounsaturated fat (MUFA). I try to avoid polyunsaturated fats (PUFA). I don't feel qualified to comment on the health benefits but a google search will yield results of PUFA vs MUFA. Nothing to do with cost or flavor, just health.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:37 pm

I've hated mayonnaise, and anything made with it, since early childhood. I can't even stand the smell of it, though I will admit that it is mainly the white vinegar. However, once I learned how to make it, I would occasionally use it in some way, usually a sauce, food fish or seafood. The best thing about the homemade version is the use of a good olive oil, plus lemon juice and white rice vinegar, which gives it a unique and delicious flavor.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Hellmans. Can't find Duke around here very much, but I have tried it and that would be my second choice. I have a container of Kewpie in the fridge, tried it once and never used it again. Just didn't care for it. Kraft is readily available but haven't tried it just because I grew up on Hellmans and it is always available here. Never made homemade, but I would like to some time, just to try. I use a lot of Mayo because I dislike mustard, only use ketchup/catsup on fries, and just about every sandwich I make has mayo on it, not to mention salads all summer like potato and pasta salad.
Last edited by Sue_CT on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:21 pm

[mention]Sue_CT[/mention]
When my wife was alive Hellmans was all we bought. I still like it very much.
I have made homemade and it is on a different level all its own.
Not even comparable to any of them from the store.
Not better or worse just different.
Now a mayonnaise made from family farm ducks or geese eggs would just have to be over the top.
Seriously, the eggs alone are heavenly beyond anything a chicken can put out.
Worth

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Hellmans make seems to have the market very much where I live, although Heinz have tried to muscle in. Unfortunately, my wife has a reaction to egg products, don't ask, but if I can get away for a big Mac and fries, a handful of mayonnaise sachets goes down quite nicely and does the trick when the urge comes on.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:48 pm

We don't eat mayonnaise regularly (I use it in spurts, and go without it for a long time; stuff like that), but when I do use it, here are some things I've been known to do with it:

* Homemade salad dressings
* Homemade tartar sauce
* On bread for sandwiches
* On hamburgers. I like the combination of ketchup, mayonnaise, and things like onions on hamburgers.
* Mixed with mustard (no ketchup) for a tater tot dip.
* Tuna sandwich mix
* Tuna dip mixes for corn tortilla chips
* Deviled eggs
* Fry sauce (I rarely do this, but it's been known to happen. By fry sauce, I mean ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. Yeah, I do add them both on hamburgers, though, but not all the time, and I do that a lot more often than I mix it together to dip French fries or such in it.)

My sister likes to spread it with butter on the bread for grilled cheese sandwiches (when actually grilling them in a frying pan, as opposed to toasting/broiling them or something). I would probably do it, but I haven't, yet (unless you count with the mayonnaise I made that tasted like wasabi--it's a lot better with regular mayonnaise).

I think another one of my sisters might have used it in a garlic bread recipe (but I could be wrong).

I like it in pasta/potato salads, I guess, but I've never made pasta salad or potato salad.

I like it on BLTs, but I've never actually made a BLT (people have made them for me, and I've probably had them at restaurants). I like BLTs, but they're pretty much the only thing I particularly like bacon on.

I wonder if mayonnaise would be good for mixing with other things to make bastes (for basting breads, meats, and such to bake onto them).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

bower
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Hellman's addict here. We don't get Duke's or Kewpie so I can't compare.
I've come to hate the cheap mayo that uses vinegar instead of lemon. Hellman's is good and lemony. :)
I use Hellman's every time I cook 'oven fries' which is at least a couple times a week. Salt, malt vinegar, and mayo on the side.
Also on pretty much every sandwich, although I don't eat sandwiches as often now. Sometimes I make tuna salad with Hellman's, pickles, chopped apple, green onion, celery etc etc whatever I have to add, and just eat it out of the bowl no bread.
Also use it to make dressing for potato salad or coleslaw, with mustard, vinegar, garlic etc.
I make alioli too for special occasions, from scratch, to make Patatas Bravas or to spread on roasting chicken or meat... so delicious.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Hellman's here. We tried Duke's and it was interesting but I thought it seemed a bit sweet and went back to Hellman's.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 pm

I'm not particular about the brand, but I didn't even know they made mayonnaise without vinegar commercially. I'm trying to imagine what mayonnaise without vinegar would taste and smell like. So, it's good, eh? We usually just use something like Best Foods (or another brand that tastes the same).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

ddsack
Reactions:

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:26 pm

Hellman's here. Duke was fine, but more lemony. Kewpie had too much egg taste for me.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:58 am

We have Duke’s in the fridge at the moment. Sometimes, I buy Hellmann’s. Once in a while Blue Plate. Wife thinks Blue Plate is on its way flavorwise to being Miracle Whip. Blue Plate is a good mayonnaise to consider as a substitute for recipes calling for Miracle whip.

Duke’s texture I find is creamier than Hellmann’s. Hellmann’s seems more lemony. I know I like Blue Plate, too, but can’t recall the exact taste. I don’t particularly like Miracle Whip so Blue Plate must be far enough removed from that. Never been a big fan of Kraft Mayo, seems a bit watery, bland or something, lacking any depth of flavor.

I adore most any kind of cold cut sandwich and mayonnaise is an essential accompaniment to most of them. Duke’s might be more of a neutral or less assertive mayonnaise than Hellmann’s. Any good Mayonnaise and possibly yellow mustard go on a hamburger, but please never ever ketchup. A hamburger with an untoasted bun semi-saturated in ketchup might be the worse thing ever. However, a hamburger on a toasted bun, dressed with a moderately thin layer of mayonnaise, along with cool fresh tomatoes, crisp lettuce and a few dill pickle slices is food of the gods. Miracle whip alone or in combination with ketchup definitely ruins a hamburger and most sandwiches.

I think Duke’s might be a better BLT mayo and maybe Hellmann’s wins on Egg salad. Blue plate is a good BLT mayonnaise. I like Duke’s for adding to Hidden Valley Ranch. There’s probably a million other things we use mayo in, I just can’t think of them all right now. But, we likely go through a quart every two or three weeks.

Tartar sauce, there’s another essential side to most fried fish or shrimp. No way do I buy premade tartar sauce, perish the thought. Hellmann’s is the best mayonnaise for tartar sauce.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:15 am

There was a guy in Prudhoe Bay that was fit to be tied because they didn't put out tartar sauce with the fish.
I saved the day and showed him how to make his own from readily available ingredients.
Mayonnaise was part of it.
If memory serves me Best is what Hellmans is west of the rockies.
I didn't put mayonnaise on French fries until I was in Europe where that's what practically everyone did and at that time ketchup was at least for me hard to come by and a sure sign of an American is you were seen using it.
Not so much these day from what I have read.
If I would have put mayonnaise on my French fries as a child I would have probably gotten a scolding from my father.
Another thing I like mayonnaise with is strawberry preserves and Apricot preserves.
Sounds nutty but they go well with each other.
So if mayonnaise goes good on French fries why not kettle cooked potato chips.
Why yes it does.
Mayonnaise and hot sauce mixed and on a burger.
Been doing that all my life.
Mayonnaise on an egg sandwich.
Mayonnaise on a sausage and egg sandwich or biscuit.
Along with grape jelly.
The list is long and no wonder I have about 5 32 ounce jars on hand at all times.
Foe some crazy reason the mayonnaise isle was wiped out during the freeze panic buying this year.
I wonder how many jars of mayonnaise were tossed out due to a lack of electricity.
Not necessary by any stretch of the imagination.
Same goes with butter too.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 am

I’ll put mayonnaise on french fries at times. Egg and cheese sandwiches on toasted English muffins wouldn’t be the same without mayonnaise.

Chipotle mayonnaise is fantastic on fish tacos. A Little juice from the can along with and the minced up peppers from the little cans of chipotle in adobo sauce, a squeeze of lime and a healthy dollop of mayonnaise. That’s it, I’m making fish tacos this week!

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/ ... re-article

Epicurious rates Louisiana born Blue Plate at the top of the list and numero uno for the BLT sandwich. Louisiana people, especially anything South Louisiana in Cajun and or Creole areas just don’t tolerate mediocre or meh food. Definitely going to get Blue Plate again, my wife can go and get her own mayonnaise, we don’t always see eye to eye on food. I have to step out on her if I’m to enjoy Lamb, foie gras, or goat cheese without her constantly saying “how can you eat that?”

His and hers mayonnaise. I like it.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

bower
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:43 am

Chipotle mayo and lime sounds heavenly!
Speaking of chips, I do make a dip with mayo and pickled artichoke hearts and parmesan cheese. Truly decadent! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:59 am

It must be a regional thing or something.
You can get a lot of different mayonnaise here with lime in it.
I often get the HEB brand mayonesa (yep that's how it's spelled) with lime juice.
Its go a taco for the picture on the jar.
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 pm

I was thinking that must be a Mexican thing with the limes, even before I heard about the taco on the label.

I have made emulsion sauces with lime that were for Thai food - one was a bright green sauce with a lot of Thai basil in it.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm

For me it's Kewpie hands down, but it has to be the one imported from Japan, not the one sold here, like I found at Costco. It's pricier sure, but we don't use that much. When making a potato or mac salad, I often stretch the Kewpie mayo by adding in regular mayo, and mixing in some rice vinegar. That seems to be the trick. After all, they do use rice vinegar in Japan. And yes, Kewpie is eggy, that's the whole point for me. Eggs in Japan are incredible, yolks so thick & orange. If you've ever made your own mayo, I think you'll notice the eggier taste over store-bought. But who wants to do that nowadays? Eggs are unsafe to consume raw. But the best potato salad I had in my life was hand made(not by me). It tasted like hollandaise sauce.
I've always wanted to try Duke's, but can't seem to find it anywhere.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:12 pm

If you do want to make your own mayo, but are worried about the salmonella problem, they can be home pasteurized, if you have a sous vide machine of some sort. However, I've never gotten sick from it, since I started doing it in the 70s - maybe the acid in the lemon juice and vinegar serves the purpose?
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “What's Cooking.”