What's your favorite pepper?

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
guruofgardens
Reactions:

Re: What's your favorite pepper?

Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Fresno, Anaheim, Jalapeno for lower heat peppers.
Red, peach, yellow Bhut Jolokias plus so many other red or yellow or orange superhots. Scotch Bonnet, Scotch Brain, Brain Strain, Bonda de Jacques also.

roper2008
Reactions:

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:59 am

worth1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:06 am Red ricoto and manzano are fantastic but the devil to grow.
They are everything you ever wanted in a pepper and more when it comes to thick walled hot peppers.
I have stuffed them with sardines mixed up with chopped onions crackers and so on like you would a salmon patty and then baked in the oven.
Unbelievable.
Mango salsa made with them is killer.
Cant say enough good about them.
I'm able to grow Peruvian Red Rocoto here in Virginia with success. Manzano, no.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:31 am

[mention]roper2008[/mention]
Have you tried Aji Rocoto Largo? It's supposed to be earlier than other Rocotos I've read about.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am

I don’t like to say anything negative about a seed company, could have been a mix up on my side, etc. plus I got seeds a long time ago. So I looked them up on Dave’s Garden to see what others thought.

Reimers on Dave’s Garden. 34 positive, 15 neutral, 92 negative
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

rdback
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am

Tough to pick just one, but I grow these three every year: Paper Lantern Habanero, Nagabon and Naga Jolokia PC-1. For sweet, I grow Crunch Sweet Orange. Great snack-size pepper.

rdback
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:20 am

MsCowpea wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am I don’t like to say anything negative about a seed company, could have been a mix up on my side, etc. plus I got seeds a long time ago. So I looked them up on Dave’s Garden to see what others thought.

I agree with the 92 negative. Bad experience with their seeds.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:40 am

rdback wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:20 am
MsCowpea wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am I don’t like to say anything negative about a seed company, could have been a mix up on my side, etc. plus I got seeds a long time ago. So I looked them up on Dave’s Garden to see what others thought.

I agree with the 92 negative. Bad experience with their seeds.
I like Dave's garden for reviews and other stuff.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

clara
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm

My fav is Aleppo pepper, hot, but not superhot. It is used in Oriental cuisine as flakes and as I like to eat hot, I have to have it in my garden.

Some years ago, I had a (bought) pepper called Krakatoa. For my son it's the best pepper ever, but it was F1 and I can't find it anymore. I should try to awake the old seeds and look what is coming out of them.
per aspera ad astra

SQWIB
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:02 am

I have cut back on my peppers (due to limited space) and will usually experiment with one or two, sometimes I'll grow a hot or two for making spices like a seasoned salt but for the most part, these are my go to peppers.

Poblanos, roasting, dehydrating, stuffing, canning

Jalapenos, recipes, canning, stuffing

Jimmy Nardello for Frying

Large Green Bells, mixed varieties but usually California wonder. For Pizza, Snacking, Stuffing, omelettes.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:31 pm

My favorite (sweet) pepper is the one that I can pick from my garden. Some years it almost doesn't happen. Frank's (Sand Hill Preservation) has been the most consistent. I don't know why I stray from it. :(

hdrider
Reactions:

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:39 pm

Jalapeno for eating while I am out in the garden, Serrano for all-around cooking, Pablano for stuffing, Chili de Arbol
or Cayenne for dehydrating and grinding up to sprinkle. I have grown all sorts of the hot to super hot and would have to say either the Bhut jolokia (Ghost) or one of the Habenero's that I have grown in the years I actually get to have a garden.
Tracy

Conjunction junction what's your function - whoops wrong place!

KarenO
Reactions:

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:10 pm

Good evening :)
I will put in a word for Leutschauer Paprika. An heirloom pepper from Hungary.
It's my favourite to grow, fairly early, dries well and makes a beautiful dark red paprika powder. Mild heat, great strong fruity pepper flavour.
KarenO

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 am

Those dried poblanos look very nice, Sqwib! They make such good sauces from the dried state.

I love most sweet or mild peppers myself, Rob used to like the hot ones so I would grow those for him.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm

PS1452 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:15 pm I grew Aji Rico this past season for the first time and it became my new favorite. A different flavor than most, crunchy and medium-low heat. The only negative was the huge, sprawling, spreading plant that I had to cut back a number of times.

Giant Marconi for all-purpose sweet, either green or red, and the best for the grill.
I grew a purchased Aji Rico transplant and grew it in a super large hanging basket, what a mistake! The peppers were tasty, but too small/thin walled for my liking.

Giant Marconi F1, particularly left to ripen to red on the vine, is at the top of my list. The flavor isn't quite as rich as the heirloom, but I only get the heirloom to ripen fully to dark red once in a fortnight.

-Lisa

PS1452
Reactions:

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:02 am

greenthumbomaha wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm
PS1452 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:15 pm I grew Aji Rico this past season for the first time and it became my new favorite. A different flavor than most, crunchy and medium-low heat. The only negative was the huge, sprawling, spreading plant that I had to cut back a number of times.

Giant Marconi for all-purpose sweet, either green or red, and the best for the grill.
I grew a purchased Aji Rico transplant and grew it in a super large hanging basket, what a mistake! The peppers were tasty, but too small/thin walled for my liking.

Giant Marconi F1, particularly left to ripen to red on the vine, is at the top of my list. The flavor isn't quite as rich as the heirloom, but I only get the heirloom to ripen fully to dark red once in a fortnight.

-Lisa
Because of the thin walls I only used it cut up fresh at the table to add that unusual, fresh flavor (I preferred the green to red). They also dried well, I'm still judging how much I like the dried taste.

If you're a fan of thicker walled peppers and like yellow, have you tried either Mama Mia Giallo or Cornito Giallo? Great for grilling or frying. Also, last year I spotted a yellow Marconi plant (Burpee's "Sweet Big Daddy"), it produced the typical big, heavy Marconi peppers with good flavor, medium producer. I'm going to look for it again this year and give it another try.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:40 am

Dried Poblano = Ancho which means wide.
Just so as you all know. :)
It is one of my very most favorite chilies dried or fresh red or green.
Pretty much took the place of the bell pepper for me.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:19 pm

Early Sunsation F1 always did well for me. Bell peppers are the only thing I ever grew where expensive hybrid seed was worth it. For OPs I like Ajvarski and Crunch Sweet Orange.

Ornamental peppers are fun, too. I like Chile Conga and Razzmatazz.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm

Favorite pepper??? That's like trying to pick a favorite tomato, or a favorite herb - impossible! Last time I took inventory, I had 28 varieties of dried peppers, plus the usual ones that I freeze, to use in dishes calling for fresh.

The peppers that I use the most are the Thai dragon type - 2-2 1/2"x1/4" - which I use mostly dried, in Indian, Thai, Chinese, as well as Mexican, when chile de árbol is called for. This is also what I crush, for red pepper flakes. I also freeze a bunch of them ripe, as well as green. The jyoti is another Indian variety, similar to these, but a little longer. These are definitely my most used peppers, for sure.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 am

732D1B73-575C-4B0B-AD5C-6CE06A1716F0.jpeg
The most unusual pepper I’ve ever had was Biquinho Yellow in a Peruvian dish a few years ago.
I’ve grown them ever since for stir fry, relishes, etc. It’s the tiny pepper in the photo; the other is Mad Hatter.
(Lol, I forget which tomato that was!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:07 am

PlainJane, how did you like the BY pepper? I ordered and have seeds for both that one and the red version. What was the growth habit for you and the flavor, productivity and so on? I thought to maybe pickle some of them if they are real productive.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”