If you could only give one piece of advice?

Everything About Tomatoes
TXTravis
Reactions:

If you could only give one piece of advice?

Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Most of us hang here not because we're new to tomato growing, but because we aren't. We get new folks to stay (like I was/did) because the info shared and questions answered make us BETTER at this, and also because of the community. So that got me thinking, if you were only able to give one tip/tidbit/piece of knowledge/key point, etc. about growing better tomatoes better, what would that one thing be? Another way of asking would be: What is the most important single thing in tomato growing?

My real answer would be to learn all you can from as many places as you can so that you know what your plants need or are suffering from and how to fix it, but that's cheating because there are at least three "one things" embedded there. Really a lot more than three if you look at it right. So here's my "one" answer, chosen for my Central Texas context:

Make sure your plants get the right amount of water.

If you chase this trail far enough it covers frequency and amount of water, and even the importance of mulch. Taken a bit further could encompass watering to minimize disease spread (no soil splashing), fertilization and nutrient uptake, BER, splitting, avoiding pests by keeping plants healthy, etc.

What's your one thing?
Last edited by TXTravis on Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

bower
Reactions:

Re: If you could only give one piece of advice?

Wed May 05, 2021 3:37 pm

My one advice would be to trial lots of varieties and find the ones that are keepers for your climate.
Being friends with tomato growers around the world for a decade or more, and trialing 100+ varieties that are no later than "midseason" by other people's standards, I could be a little sad about all the descriptions of wonderful, late tomatoes that I know from experience, I just wouldn't get a fruit from. Yet there are many that produce fantastic fruit here, some are even better in crappy cold weather than they are in the heat. Tomato diversity is wow. Yes they can.
Just wanted to say that you can grow tomatoes anywhere if you are patient and willing to trial and find what works.
I will add, the biggest surprise for me in joining the tomato growing community, is how much valuable and applicable advice I got about growing from growers in the south. We don't have all problems in common, but surprisingly many!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 3:42 pm

Try something new every year.
New-to-you varieties, different planting times or soil amendments, etc.

Or:
Use compost and mulch generously.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm

The old garden adage about digging a $50 hole for a $5 plant would seem to apply well to tomato growing. Making sure you have a good sized hole, mixed with plenty of compost and other nutrients, allowing for good water drainage, is beneficial in getting a healthy plant to grow and produce.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 4:38 pm

Experiment.
Give the garden a quick 5 minute walk each day to spot issues early.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 4:44 pm

Keep trying. Keep learning. Perfection is a great goal but an unrealistic expectation. Each year will be better. If you only get 3 tomatoes the first year they will be the best tasting tomatoes you have ever eaten. Be proud of them. Next year you will try more varieties and you might get 10 tomatoes and they will taste even better. In 10 years you will look back and realize the ones you are growing are the best ever, some might be varieties that you may never have heard of 10 years ago, and and you realize they are so much better than what you grew all those years ago. If you have a bad year, remember how good they were the previous year and how much better they will be the next year. Then pat yourself on the back because you have turned into a gardener. :)

Labradors
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Pick all tomatoes that have blushed if you are battling with birds/squirrels and whenever rain is expected. They will ripen just fine inside the house where they are safe :).

Linda
Last edited by Labradors on Mon May 10, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 pm

Don't give up.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 pm

different sizes and mature dates.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 7:06 pm

Someone already said as much, but the old adage“ The best fertilizer is the gardener’s shadow.” is very true. Spend time out in your garden, you’ll likely spot things going in, potential problems and issues, well before they spiral out of control. I love to walk out and look at the garden. I stare at my tomatoes, lift foliage, look at the buds, it isn’t a burden, it’s enjoyable.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Experiment. There are more than one way to grow tomatoes successfully.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 7:56 pm

It all begins with your soil. If you grow in-ground then do something every year to amend that soil each year and it will become better and better and grow better plants for you. If in containers, don't skimp on your grow mix. Use the best that you can.

Amending your soil gives you better drainage, increases fertility and makes it far easier to work with. This advise is not just for tomatoes but for everything that you might want to grow.
~ Patti ~

Barmaley
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 pm

I am very new with tomato growing so it is too early for me to give an advice. However, is somebody is just contemplating about this hobby I have and insight for you: be prepared that you would need to learn much more that you expected and don't even think about trying to start tomatoes and strawberries at the same time of your learning cycle!

Barmaley
Reactions:

Wed May 05, 2021 8:53 pm

Labradors wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm Pick tomatoes all tomatoes that have blushed if you are battling with birds/squirrels and whenever rain is expected. They will ripen just fine inside the house where they are safe :).

Linda
I believe this is an advice which made me change my strategy for this year and add red tomatoes to my grow list. However, I read somewhere that the exception is SunGold which for some reason taste well only if it is fully ripen in the vine! I still grow SunGold and I am thinking about mechanical barrier against squirrels and birds.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 am

I think my advice would be to join a group or fantastic forum with others who grow. The quickest way to knowledge and wisdom is to learn. The quickest way to learn is to watch, listen and question. And you good folks have all been part of increasing my knowledge, and enjoyment, of growing and beyond..
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 am

Be healthy enough to take care of them - if so, live.

I agree completely with the experimental thing. Water them the right amount for wherever you are growing them, and figure out however you if you want to fertilize them or not. It is all up to you. It's your garden. Do it how you want to.
Texas Zone 8A

stone
Reactions:

Thu May 06, 2021 8:03 am

habitat-gardener wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:42 pm Use compost and mulch generously.
Ditto....
Enough compost and mulch means not having to add extra water or pull other plants.

Although... I would further suggest a nice chicken pen so that you can share the damaged fruit... chickens love tomatoes!

They like those leaf-foot bugs too... and... those snails and slugs... and any extra tomato worms... I prefer having sacrificial plants for the caterpillars, as my gardens are as much about the butterflies/hummingbirds/song birds as anything else.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 am

Start out with a plant or two, rather than a garden full. Once you get your soil/water/feeding dialed in then expand. Learn as you go and don't count losses as failures, but as learning experiences.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu May 06, 2021 4:17 pm

Try your hand at Hybridization/Dehybridization! It's so much fun not knowing what you'll get each year. Even experienced gardeners who can reliably produce bushels of fruit each year can rekindle the old flame of excitement. It's that excitement the keeps the gardener in the garden taking care of their plants.
Thenn, with practice, you can start to predict the outcomes. And you'll feel proud of not only that years harvest, but of all the work that went into creating your vary own variety!
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

steve ok
Reactions:

Thu May 06, 2021 5:30 pm

Participate in seed exchanges. The MMMM (Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing) is the biggest and the best. Save as much seed as you can so you can feel good about giving as well as receiving. I went from having about 30 varieties of tomato seeds last year to over 300 varieties this year.

Return to “Tomato Talk”