Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:59 am

Decided that I’m not cooking today, so lunch:
1CB566E3-9A9A-494A-BF2B-DEEABB8988E5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:20 pm

Last night, friend brought me over some nice looking tomatoes - something that I never buy, but he couldn't wait, and had to have "one of those things I make" with them. Today, I saw that Israeli feta in the fridge that I hadn't tried yet, so I made a favorite of mine, that he also likes - the lentil salad, with the tomatoes and feta, plus a lot of cilantro and garlic chives. The different thing I used in it was really good - some toasted whole oats. It got a little overcooked, but next time I'll know to put it in for less time at the end.

The tomatoes weren't bad, for store-bought, and he was surprised to hear me say that! :lol:
ImageLentil salad by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:00 pm

I made a good pizza-dipping sauce with some home-canned tomatoes, yesterday: a quart of home-canned tomatoes, as well as granulated garlic, onion powder, basil, pink sea salt, black pepper, paprika, and two fresh sage leaves, with extra virgin olive oil added when it was nearly done). If you ever have dry pizza, or too much crust, do something like that. Some wonderberries in the sauce might make it even better.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:30 am

Got home from work and made 2 pounds of ground chuck chili for supper and put some Roman beans on to soak.
Had the chili with crackers.
I have made this chili from scratch so many times I don't even bother measuring as if I ever did.
The good part about the small batch is it gets eaten in only two settings.
Ingredients are.
Chili powder.
Cumin.
Paprika.
Dehydrated onion.
Garlic powder.
Mexican oregano.
Dash of salt.
A little water.
No tomato products at all.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:35 am

Here is some of the cured and smoked side meat before I diced it up to go in the kettle of Roman beans.
After years of stupidity I finally figured out how to cook beans the way I like them.
Well sort of.
When you add cold water to hot cooking beans it makes them lose their skins.
So you have two choices of which are.
Heat up the water first or just put more water in at the start so you don't have to later.
I just add way too much water and cook it down.
These beans and smoked pork will go on a bed of toasted rice later today.
20210605_101909.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:51 am

For the 1st time ever I tried eating the leaves and tips of broad beans. As the article online said, a little like spinach but without the astringency and smelling a bit like broad beans while cooking. Also used as an addition to salads. I found them to be mild tasting and acceptable either cooked or raw.
I'd been seeing ants visiting the plants and thought to tip them to avoid ants colonizing aphids on them. As well, they are being grown in containers this year so limited in space for roots. Loaded with flowers and podding already.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm

4C70C928-579E-4085-BF19-A744DAD3F25B.jpeg
18A4A29D-EC40-45C5-9C27-18983C83FC2A.jpeg
Salsa. Cherokee Purple tomatoes, Pineapple tomatoes, and unidentified garden red tomatoes, seeded garden serrano and jalapeño peppers, fresh cilantro, one garlic clove, ground cumin, salt. Immersion blender it all until smooth. Made it around noon to give time for the flavors to meld.

Store bought tostitos Tortilla chips, 1 dozen heated Ramirez Pork Tamales, 1 dozen heated Ramirez Bean Tamales. HEB mild Guacamole, Rick’s Big Pot of Seasoned Pinto Beans. Cerveza Sol con lima y sal o otro bebides como agua con gas y vino blanco. La vida es buena.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Went to the store to get supplies for my cheap eaten meal and-----wellllll.
Who can resist Blue Bell Blackberry Cobbler ice cream?
Seriously who can?
I sure couldn't. :( :roll:
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:48 pm

Tonight, the dish I made was an old favorite - Mahogany Fire Noodles. I always make this when I get enough spearmint and basil to top it with - 3/4 c each. I have to make it with frozen Thai peppers at this time, until the thai peppers start producing. I reminded a friend that it's even hotter, when the peppers are fresh off the plant!
Image12 cloves of garlic and 20 Thai chilis, to make the paste for the mahogany fire noodles. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image1 1/2 cups of basil and spearmint, to toss with the finished noodles. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished mahogany fire noodles. by pepperhead212, on Click

EDIT: Here's the recipe - something I can do, now that I'm on my PC!

Mahogany Fire Noodles

8 oz wide dry rice noodles - Pad Thai noodles; soaked in warm water 20 min, until flexible, but not totally soft
30 thai birds; OR
15-20 thai dragons (My fav)
10-12 cloves garlic
1 1/4 lbs boneless chicken; sliced 1/4 x 1/2 x 2 in.
8 oz bamboo shoots; sliced
1 tb oil
3/4 cup water or chicken broth
1 tsp white pepper; ground
2 tb fish sauce
1 tb oyster sauce
2 tb Thai sweet black soy sauce
1 1/2 tb sugar
1 1/2 cup(s) holy basil (fresh); loosely packed, OR
3/4 cup Italian basil; AND
3/4 cup(s) mint leaves
2 tb oil

A. Make a paste in the mortar with the Chiles and garlic (or make the paste in a food processor, the way I usually do it). Add 1 tb fish sauce to the chicken, and stir to coat; let marinate 15 min or so, while preparing other things. Measure out the pepper, the other tb of fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar into a bowl together. Drain noodles and have all ingredients ready by the wok.

B. If using canned bamboo shoots, drain them, pat dry, and stir-fry them in 1 tb oil over med-high heat for 1 min. Pour onto a paper towel, cool, and blot dry.

C. Heat a large wok (I use my 20") over high heat; add oil, swirl, and heat briefly. Add chili paste and dtir-fry 15 sec. Add chicken and bamboo shoots and SF 30 sec. Add noodles and broth or water, and toss 1 min. Add the pepper, sauces and sugar and SF 1-1 1/2 min., or until noodles are soft and no longer hard inside. Remove from heat, toss with the herbs, and serve.
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:44 am

Growing Coastal wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:51 am For the 1st time ever I tried eating the leaves and tips of broad beans. As the article online said, a little like spinach but without the astringency and smelling a bit like broad beans while cooking. Also used as an addition to salads. I found them to be mild tasting and acceptable either cooked or raw.
I'd been seeing ants visiting the plants and thought to tip them to avoid ants colonizing aphids on them. As well, they are being grown in containers this year so limited in space for roots. Loaded with flowers and podding already.
I’ll have to try that with my next crop.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:15 pm

BB3D0221-C802-4DAF-A6D3-C3A5759B3959.jpeg
The obligatory Caprese Salad.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:46 pm

Today is NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM DAY! So I made a little over a quart of chocolate yogurt mix, which I'll be finishing tomorrow - I try not to make things in the Vitamix that will make that much noise this late at night, as a courtesy to my neighbors. But it's in the freezer, and I'll finish it tomorrow.

I based it on a recipe by foodnetwork:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats ... zen-yogurt

However, I reduced the sugar by half, and added 10 drops of stevia liquid. And I added 1/4 tsp xantham gum instead of cornstarch, used 72% chocolate, instead of chips, and added 3 tb cocoa, instead of 2. And I only used 2 c yogurt, but 1 1/2 c milk. And I'll be basically making a smoothie, after thawing the frozen block some - usually, I'd do it after freezing 3-4 hrs., but it's too late.
ImageMilk in Vitamix, dissolving sugar, before adding the cocoa. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCocoa and vanilla added to milk, ready to drizzle in the melted chocolate. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageMelted chocolate, ready to drizzle into the blender, while running. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAfter adding the melted chocolate, before adding the thickened yogurt. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image2 c yogurt, with just over 1/2 c whey removed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished mix, after adding 1/4 tsp xantham gum, to the running blender. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the mix, ready to freeze. Doesn't look as dark here, due to the bubbles and the overhead light. But it does have a strong chocolate flavor.
ImageFinished chocolate yogurt, ready to go into the freezer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:00 pm

D6DDBF2D-FB86-44AF-B720-A67838D41806.jpeg
The first batch tasted so good I did another. Whole cumin and coriander seed in there, along with a little dill seed. Mostly Romano or French Filet beans, then also right on red sweet pepper, baby corn, shishito peppers and one cayenne pepper per jar. Everything but the spice and vinegar from the garden. My daughter’s boyfriend said “ this is the best thing I’ve ever eaten!” An healthy dose of hyperbole, but these beans and the rest of the vegetables do taste really good pickled.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Not me but my friend that quit his job in Colorado to go work on a farm in Iowa raising flowers.
Known this guy since he was 28 now he is in his 40's.
Met him in Alaska.
Obviously you can tell why we get along.
IMG_5905.jpg
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 pm

Here's that chocolate yogurt I made yesterday. I thawed it on the counter until I could cut it in chunks, then I put it in the Vitamix, and blended it smooth. I quickly put it back in the freezer. I cleaned out the VM, and had that half cup or so tonight. It is delicious, but next time, I'll put even more chocolate in it.
ImageFrozen yogurt, in Vitamix. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFrozen yogurt blended smooth in the Vitamix. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm

I made a favorite summer food of mine for lunch today - Gazpacho! Surprisingly, this is one of those things made with fresh tomatoes that is almost as good when made with frozen tomatoes, as fresh ones, since it is blended up - with most things calling for fresh tomatoes, they are mushy, of course, and the skin slips off, plus they are watery.

I saw those tomatoes in my freezer, and realized that I had to use them, since this year's crop will be starting soon! So I thawed a 4 lb bag of frozen grapes, and drained maybe 1 1/2 c water from them this morning. I blended the other ing together in the Vitamix, with a few tomatoes, to circulate it, put that in the large bowl, then blended the tomatoes in two more batches. To help thicken it, I added about 1 tb chia seeds to each batch, let them gel about 5 minutes, then blended on high, and also added a generous 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum while running, to each batch. Works even better than the traditional "stale bread", which I never have around anymore. I added the sherry vinegar, then the olive oil to the last batch, adding it slowly, while running, to emulsify. Then I mixed it all up in the 8 qt bowl, and poured it into this 4 qt bowl, which it just fit into! It chilled in the fridge, while I cut up the toppings. That is the only thing missing when making this with frozen tomatoes - some diced fresh tomatoes. But the rest is there.
ImageAlmost 4 qts of gazpacho, using up 4 lbs of tomatoes from last season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll eat this again for dinner, and probably for breakfast!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:11 pm

I went freezer diving and found a big bag of pork chili Verde I'm heating up on the stove.
That's green pork chili for you gringos. :lol:
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:19 am

4509077B-2F75-40BE-A166-5B93EC512934.jpeg
02EEA276-46D8-4882-AADE-CDAAF8014756.jpeg
Last night’s fajita feast. Used crumbled Cojita cheese and the very creamy mexican sour crema. Garden bells, right on red, jalapeños, serranos, and various tomatoes joined the fun for the Pico de Gallo and Salsa. HEB fresh made, package still warm from the oven (they have a mini tortilla factory onsite) flour tortillas and then additionally toasted at home on the skillet just prior to serving. These dry industrial mass market prepackaged flour tortillas served untoasted really bring down an otherwise promising fajita so we get the fresh tortillas whenever possible.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:09 am

I thought I would break in the mammoth sized Lodge 17 inch cast iron skillet today.
It just fits in the oven. :lol:
Pork meat and bacon.
No idea what to do with it but the house smells heavenly.
20210613_100345.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:28 am

No pictures but the cornbread wedges i made the other day I put in the giant skillet with the bacon fat and heated up to oven on low and let dry out.
Basically just forgot about it after I turned the oven off.
Most of the fat was on one side so it isn't like it sucked up all the fat.
This morning I had a nice crispy crunchy supply for cornbread dressing.
Worth

Return to “What's Cooking.”