Pith Necrosis

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Pith Necrosis

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Just a few pics, only one plant slowly heading downhill while two others in the exact same potting mix look phenomenal. Maybe I didn’t mix it well and one ended up with all the N? Not too worried about it. Sunrise Bumblebee is the victim.

C22F7845-4C98-4E8A-B17F-043C39FA257D.jpeg
97E881BE-0EDF-4C13-B080-B192DCFFD720.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Pith Necrosis

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:23 am

Wild. I had never heard of pith necrosis. Great to know lots of aerial roots could mean other things besides dicamba drift or the plant just being vigorous with its roots.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:31 am

Me neither, and I have one plant displaying al! the symptoms, I thought it was just advantageous root growth but appears so high up on the stem.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:26 am

I’ve had some plants that were terrible. Stems just ripping themselves apart sprouting adventitious roots the whole length of the stem. Those were in cheap potting mix with a bunch of my home compost. So I’m trying to get away from that. Weird thing is I’ve never had one in the ground do it. It’s supposed to be bacterial so I wouldn’t expect just the potted ones to be hit with it.
4CCC505D-6138-4AC4-9DE6-4A961381CA7C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 am

That last pic looks wicked bad, Mark!
You don't know for sure it's pith necrosis though, unless you've split open the stem and seen the necrosis inside.
My plants had symptoms one year that led me to believe there was p.n. (which they survived) but when I cut them down at the end of season the stems were whole and pith white no sign of infection. In the end I concluded it was some type of edema.
Pith necrosis iirc comes from some Pseudomonas sp. bacteria in the soil. The brown rot in the vascular tissues in the main stem is then the reason for bumps and adventitious roots higher up.
But plants especially in containers do routinely produce adventitious roots, especially when the plant is vigorous and fast growing and it just wants a second or third pot to root down into LOL. Not enough soil volume for the high vigor.
That would explain why the plants in ground are unaffected.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:07 am

Absolutely correct, not for sure until the autopsy. That last really ugly pic had it. I’m just going off history for my current plant that’s sprouting so many adventitious roots, end of the season I can cut it up and do a big reveal.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:22 pm

[mention]Bower[/mention] thanks for that. The plant in question was rapid growing and in a small pot in the greenhouse and it was rubbing against the wall. I'll keep a close eye on it but it seems to be throwing out lots of growth.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

mama_lor
Reactions:

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:09 am

I had it once, the first year I started the new garden. The growth was insanely vigorous, never had before or after. The stem split in a few places and it was black inside, and there was occasional wilting. In the end it didn't seem to matter, the plants grew well and produced until the end of the season. At that time I assumed it was some anomaly caused by the overly strong growth.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”