Ladybirds

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Labradors
Reactions:

Ladybirds

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:10 am

I grew Bloody Sorrel from seed last year and planted them in the corners of my veggie garden. They all came back, but were infested with aphids! Since I wasn't crazy about the taste, I ripped one out in disgust. When I went to get rid of the next one, I saw a ladybird on it so I left it alone. This morning, the whole plant was covered in ladybird lavae :). It looks as if I now have a ladybird sanctuary!

Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: Ladybirds

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:56 pm

Yay! I just saw one this morning on a pepper plant that had aphids on the leaves. Saw some aphids on tomato leaves this weekend and decided not to spray anything unless there were no aphid predators so I am very happy it is ladybird/bug season.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Oh wow they look amazing! :D
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

zendog
Reactions:

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:33 pm

That's great. I've taken a hands-off approach to manage aphids in my yard and at the community garden and the population of ladybugs has increased in both places. I was amazed to see them out on early apple tree leaves well before the last frost date. It helps to have things the aphids attack that I'm not super worried about, like early shoots on a crab apple. I hope you are have a nice population going as well. It always feels great to see those little tractor-like larva crawling around on the hunt!

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:15 pm

When my daughter was 5 she found a ladybird larvae and put it in a little bug container that she wore around her neck. She named it Tommy. She found aphids for Tommy every day. He/she went with us everywhere including restaurants. One day he molted and turned into a black blob. I told her that he had died and that he was no longer welcome to come out with us everywhere that we went. She was quite adamant that he was just fine. I just shook my head. Then in about 10-14 days she says look mom, he's moving and sure enough he was. In a little while we had Tommy the ladybug. It appeared to be just fine except for being green! My little girl taught me a lesson.
~ Patti ~

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am

zendog wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:33 pm That's great. I've taken a hands-off approach to manage aphids in my yard and at the community garden and the population of ladybugs has increased in both places. I was amazed to see them out on early apple tree leaves well before the last frost date. It helps to have things the aphids attack that I'm not super worried about, like early shoots on a crab apple. I hope you are have a nice population going as well. It always feels great to see those little tractor-like larva crawling around on the hunt!
I had a huge infestation of weird aphids on my apple tree. Never saw their like before. They were overwhelming and too much for ladybugs. I sprayed the heck out of it with dormant oil/sulphur the past two winters after baiting the ants in the summer. The aphids spread to the bay laurel which I could not pick last year. Looking good so far this year after spraying. I like winter spraying as it doesn't hurt the friendlies who are asleep then.

I know that ladybugs are hunters but never dreamed they'd like liverwurst. Here's one feasting on a crumb on the stove one year.
Not our indigenous ladybug.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:45 am

I never knew the lifecycle of the ladybird, now I do and today I saw one on a carrot in my garden.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Labradors
Reactions:

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:54 am

To be honest, I shared the picture with a gardening friend who is in her 80's. She admitted that she didn't know what young ladybirds looked like, so I thought I would share the picture here in case others had never seen them before either :).

Linda

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am

Great pics of some good bugs. Very nice.

I really like overwintering some parsnips. This was a week or two back.
04.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
16.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:09 am

Very cool JR in PA. I was expecting to see some Swallowtail caterpillars, but ladybirds are cool too. One of mine has changed into a (gold coloured) pupa today.

Linda

bower
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:32 pm

A pic of that pupa would be awesome too... I always turn up a few in the soil but don't know what they are, so I toss em and let the birds figure it out...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm

I've only found 1 larve so far so I'm gonna have to move him from plant to plant. Would be good to know what to look out for when he's done eating...
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

peebee
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:00 pm

I'm always excited to see their tiny clusters of orange eggs, then the tiny alligators as I call them, emerge in my garden. We have so few here do they're very precious.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:45 pm

Amateurinawe wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm I've only found 1 larve so far so I'm gonna have to move him from plant to plant. Would be good to know what to look out for when he's done eating...
The pupae sort of look like an adult ladybird stuck face first to a leaf, bottom up. The eggs are like little orange rugby balls laid in clusters on the underside of leaves. Find a plant with a good amount of aphids on and you'll probably find some eggs. Hoverflies are laying their tiny rice grain-like eggs by the greenfly on my tomatillos, the larvae are weird translucent alien looking things which like to suck the juice out of aphids. I've seen parasitic wasps around too, they will lay their eggs inside aphids and eat them from the inside out, leaving behind a mummified corpse.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 pm

The pupae look like a little brown bird doo. Once they start to emerge, they look like the description by rossomendblot.
image.png
~ Patti ~

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:53 am

Four hoverfly eggs and one mummified aphid. :o
aphids on tomatillo.jpg

Labradors
Reactions:

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:10 am

I just went out to check on my ladybirds and I don't know what that yellow blob was that I saw yesterday. Most had pupated and they all looked like the picture that Miss S. posted, except that they had more red on them. They pupate on plants, not in the ground, which is interesting.

Linda

Labradors
Reactions:

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:45 pm

I just found out what the yellow blob was! Someone posted on Facebook that her ladybird pupa had hatched into a yellow ladybird and the picture looked like the one that I spotted on my plant yesterday. It looked like a grain of corn. Apparently, it will turn red with time!.

Linda

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:53 am

I had black swallowtail caterpillars on the parsnips a month back or so. This year's parsnips will get them, if any germinated, that is. Seems to me there is sort a gap for a bit where there are not many caterpillars. I don't have a good grasp on how their life cycle works regarding migration or overwintering here. Admittedly, I have not looked that closely that often, so there may be some out there now. All told I think there are around a dozen big overwintered parsnips strewn throughout my vegetable patches and it would take hours to check every branch. Lots of ladybugs and soldier beetles this past couple weeks. Some beeflies.

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:51 am

That's great that you have lots of parsnips for all the beneficials. I donn't understand the caterpillars either. They are there one day, gone the next and, if I'm lucky, they will re-appear.... Most of the ladybirds have gone now. I was hoping to see some more of them in the yellow phase!

Linda

Return to “General Discussion”