Mosaic virus?

svalli
Reactions:

Mosaic virus?

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Oh s...t! :(

Is this some kind of mosaic virus on my both Blush 2.0 plants. Leaves are narrow and crinkled and have yellow spots.
IMG_20210623_202508.jpg
IMG_20210623_202520_1.jpg
I think that I need to destroy them quickly.

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by svalli on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

bower
Reactions:

Re: Mosaic virus?

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:56 pm

There are a lot of causes of leaf curling besides viruses. I find it pretty common if you have stress of some kind - cold or wet soil, insufficient light, etc. that the plants will roll or contort their leaves but it generally passes as they grow out of their 'early stress' days. Unless the weather stays really horrible, or something is taking up residence to lunch on the roots....
This plant in your pic looks like a 'wispy leaf', is that right? Because if so, they are always looking like they're about to die of something, and really prone to looking wilted, rolled, etc etc. :roll: I would ignore it.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 pm

I agree with [mention]Bower[/mention] it looks a wispy leaf variety--what variety is it?

svalli
Reactions:

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Variety is Blush 2.0. the lower leaves are not wispy an there is yellow mottling on the new leaves.

IMG_20210623_202428.jpg

I think that I will have to try to move it out from the greenhouse. I have them growing in same container with one Weisser Pfirsich

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:34 pm

It could be some kind of insect attack, mites or similar darn small things. Sometimes one variety is more susceptible than another. Or it could be a nutritional issue. The look of the plants says to me, my roots are not getting what I need.
But TBH, I only once had a plant that I thought had mosaic virus, so long ago I've forgotten what it looked like too.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:17 pm

Do you happen to have whitefly or leafhopper issues?
~ Patti ~

svalli
Reactions:

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:42 am

There has not yet been any insects in the greenhouse so far other than spiders. I have been inspecting plants for mites with a magnifying glass, since those darn things every year attack cucumbers and peppers. There is an other variety of tomato in same container and so far it looks OK, so I doubt that it is nutritional.

When I look pictures of Tobacco Mosaic Virus and Tomato Mosaic Virus affected tomato leaves, these look the same. I had similar problems already last year and this year I changed all potting media and cleaned the greenhouse, but it seems that I could not get rid of the virus.

I moved that container now out from the greenhouse, but it may no help because the virus may have already been spread to other plants in the greenhouse.

Sari

mama_lor
Reactions:

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:39 am

Doesn't really look like a virus. The first pictures is hard to say, the picture in the second post shows very probably zinc deficiency.
Chlorosis should appear first on young but not very young leaves, first near the midrib, then it starts to extend towards younger and younger leaves. If you think the symptoms match my description apply some zinc sulfate (or preferably edta) watered with low pH water (like 5). Something like a knife tip per plant should be plenty, the recovery is not very fast (1-2 weeks) and not complete, especially for the older leaves.
There's more than one micronutrient deficiency there, that's why also the twisting of the leaves, I'm guessing there's some excess there blocking them or high pH, are you watering with very hard water by any chance?

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”