Tatiana´s TOMATObase

Everything About Tomatoes
MrBig46
Reactions:

Tatiana´s TOMATObase

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:49 am

Four or five years ago, when we were looking for a variety of tomato, we went to Tatiana´s TOMATObase. This database has not been much modified lately and it is difficult to find new varieties of breeders such as Fred Hempel or Karen Olivier there. I wonder if there is still any interest from Tomatoville members in this database and if new varieties should be added.
Vladimír

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Tatiana´s TOMATObase

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:35 am

I'm sure that there are some Tomato Junction members along with the Tomatoville people that would like to see this database continue. I would. Tatianan's TOMATObase is a fabulous resource that I still use to this day. Tatiana spent so very much of her time keeping it up to date. It's a large task. Her life has changed and she has moved on. One of the things of her past is the TOMATObase. Of course we would like for it to be kept up to date but understand that with her life changes that it just can't be done. Unless she would hand it over to someone else, I don't see that it will be updated. This is still to this day one of the best resources to learn about tomato varieties. There is a wealth of information there. I will always be indebted to Tat for creating this file.
~ Patti ~

ddsack
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:37 am

The way that the TOMATObase is set up, there has always been an option for other people to add photos and information on new varieties, after being approved and getting a password from Tania. There has always been info about this on the sidebar of the main page. I really wish that some of the active tomato developers like Fred and Karen could add updated info on their new varieties into the database. I know Vladimir has added info for many of the varieties he has grown. I believe Tania needs to create a new empty page for the new variety, but all the actual info and pictures can be added by someone approved. Thank you, Vlad, for continuing to update the Tbase and I hope that more new varieties can continue to be added. I still check the Tbase a couple of times a week on average, even when I'm not in the market for seeds. It is such a valuable and easy to use tomato research tool, that it is a shame to not help keep it as up to date as we can. Especially if there is a way take on some of the tedious part of data entry so Tania can concentrate on her other needs and interests.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:03 am

Actually, I just wanted to ask if I should add any tomatoes there. This year, I grow quite a bit of new varieties of Karen Olivier, Fred Hempel and Darrell Jones. Surely some varieties deserve it.
Vladimír

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:07 am

MrBig46 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:03 am Actually, I just wanted to ask if I should add any tomatoes there. This year, I grow quite a bit of new varieties of Karen Olivier, Fred Hempel and Darrell Jones. Surely some varieties deserve it.
Vladimír
YES!
~ Patti ~

ddsack
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:07 pm

MrBig46 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:03 am Actually, I just wanted to ask if I should add any tomatoes there. This year, I grow quite a bit of new varieties of Karen Olivier, Fred Hempel and Darrell Jones. Surely some varieties deserve it.
Vladimír
For sure!!!! I appreciate that you are doing that, please continue!

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:36 pm

Another YES vote!

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:11 pm

I can't speak for TV members, but I'm still interested in it.

I'm a little unclear as to whether or not Tatiana wants to allow members of the database to add new tomato pages, if they know how, but the software seems to allow them to try; but, she hasn't said anything to encourage it, AFAIK. I've been meaning to ask her about that. Whatever the case, editors can suggest new tomatoes to Tatiana, and she does encourage that.

She's never emailed us anything indicating she's given up on the database. So, I'd assume it just needs more editors contributing, more tomato suggestions, and/or more contributions from current editors. You can sign up unless something has changed. Tatiana herself is involved in the signup process for new editors.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Paulf
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:39 am

I have sent Tania some new entries so maybe she has a list that could be added. The Tomatobase (and all the other parts) is a very good resource and I use it quite often. Hopefully there is a way to continue to expand it. This would be quite an endeavor and most likely time consuming. Stan worked pretty hard on the site so hopefully arrangements can be made.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:26 am

The problem is that Tatiana is fully occupied with her new hobby and grows tomatoes only marginally. Hardly will give the names of new tomato varieties in the database. I'm trying to get new tomatoes into the database, which are currently growing in my garden. It's laborious.
Vladimír
PS.:I don't know if I remember correctly, but you said somewhere that you managed to sow King Humbert tomatoes. If so, I would be interested in some seeds for next year (if you store them). Thanks

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:42 am

I would love to see new updates in Tomatobase. I very much appreciate you doing that. Thank you so much.
- Marsha

MrBig46
Reactions:

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:19 am

This year I grow three varieties of Karma tomatoes. I also added them to Tatiana's base. So far, I have photos of only green unripe tomatoes, but I reckon that when they are ripe, I will add more photos. I could put other varieties in the database, but it would be without photos. Maybe if you sent me a photo (in jpg format), I could add it. Of course, I would mention the author of this photo.
Vladimír

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:15 pm

FYI...for anyone that frequents Facebook, if you type in Tatiana Kouchnareva in the search box, you can see some of what she is up to these days.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Return to “Tomato Talk”