Hummingbirds and Flowers Past & Present

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: Hummingbirds and Flowers Past & Present

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 pm

How tough is that grevillea? Could it be moved successfully when it is dormant? I am pruning it now to keep it out of the walkway to the door. It is extremely prickly! A bush full of sharp needles.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:23 pm

Tough as old boots, but not sure how well it would survive transplanting, never attempted at that size. That group generally strike fairly easily from tip cuttings, taken as a semi-hard cutting. By that I mean tips should be firm enough not to wilt but still flexible, strip leaves off bottom half and dip into a rooting hormone powder/liquid. Bottom heat will help root formation. Cutting size around the length of forefinger works best.

Yes I know how prickly they are, used to regularly pick flowers off a full size plant for a Ringtail possum that Mum and Dad rescued after a storm. Little fellow was blown out of nest onto road where their straddled him and he moved as they went over. We had him for 9.5 years before he died.

Out of curiosity, do the flowers blacken as they age or stay red until they fall off [mention]Growing Coastal[/mention]?

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Yes indeed, they do turn black.
I did give some thought to taking cuttings and will probably do that as well as give it a harsh pruning. There are always few cuttings on the go in the 'nursery' in the shade of a shrub so, what's a few more! I'll try a few on bottom heat, as well.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Phygelius, or Cape Fuchsia, still a favourite. I see only one Rufous now and then among the flowers. There are few of them anywhere on the island this year.

Juvenile Anna's

PlainJane
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:35 pm

That’s fantastic!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:57 pm

Gorgeous pictures and as you know I just love that plant!
~ Patti ~

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 am

I bought these seeds from Stokes to reach their minimum order amount. Similar to a red one I save seeds from. Hummingbirds like the red which goes on blooming until frost. An annual.

Stokes has a variety of zinnia that has the giant flowers without the towering height. I am liking these at 2 - 3.5 ft tall. State Fair mix.
Also Sunshine mix, a little shorter.

The amaryllis bloomed again this year. I think I've got wintering it over figured out. Last year it bloomed twice.

Last year I saved seeds from Lobelia.

I tried to have a couple of baskets of only lobelia but found that while I had gathered the lobelia seed I had also gotten some petunias which I was not after. They are from Scentsation that I grew from seed last year. Surprisingly, most of the ones I let grow came true. They do have lovely scent when I go out in the mornings.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:55 am

[mention]Growing Coastal[/mention] They all look great and from seed too. I like your mixed basket of mixed up seeds. Those petunias look great with the lobelia.
~ Patti ~

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:00 am

Looks fantastic [mention]Growing Coastal[/mention]!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

zendog
Reactions:

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:35 pm

The pictured here inspired me to get some video of the hummers at a feeder I just put up. I had always thought they were hard to attract to feeders, but I had seen them around and just put this one up amongst the flowers they've enjoyed and they were on it the next morning. The only thing is they are very grumpy little things and keep chasing each other away from it, so maybe I need to put up another feeder or two?

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Wonderful video! Very soon the hummingbirds will be back passing through my area and staying for a while before they head farther south. I can't wait! Hopefully I can get some good pictures.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:53 pm

[mention]zendog[/mention] I am so glad that you are enjoying the hummingbirds. Migration is just beginning for you. They seem to migrate earlier in the east than the do in the mid-west. I put a feeder on each side of the house so that it is not so easy for the birds to see each other while feeding.
~ Patti ~

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:26 pm

We've had snow and cold since before Christmas. As I am moving house I took the feeders down so the hummingbirds would find other feeders to rely on during the cold months. They have been coming around for the winter jasmine which is now frozen but will bloom again once it warms up from freezing.
They have been coming for baths. This morning they were squabbling over who went first. Before 8:00 a.m., at first light, they're there.

In 2017 i noticed one having snow baths!

Bathing helps them stay warm in the cold.

Return to “The Gallery”