Warren Bees, a Large Bi-Color

Everything About Tomatoes
Rockoe10
Reactions:

Warren Bees, a Large Bi-Color

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:46 am

I recieved a couple old seeds of Warren Bees tomato last MMMM, and decided to see if a could get some fresh seeds collected of it. I didn't know what to expect, and wasn't able to find much of anything regarding it online. Some pictures on Google showed small bi-color cherry tomatoes, so i was mostly expecting this. However, TVille has a 3 post thread that briefly mentions an experimental beefsteak bi-color. This intrigued me. The only other information about this experimental tomato was that it performed poorly, and didn't taste great. 😥 but i decided to try any way.

My garden plan was full and my mom wanted dinner tomato plants, so I gave her some stand by types, and this one as a mystery plant. Well, she got her first tomato off it and my oh my, delicious!
20210821_184822.jpg
The comment was right, the plant isn't that productive. But that could be how and where it was grown. Non tilled ground, with rock, with 6 hours of partial sun, and a dog that is rough around the stems. So, another try would be needed to say for sure.

The taste however was just the opposite. It was exceptional! Very sweet with juicy red flesh. Not tough, and even a bit soft (maybe over ripe). The seed pockets were small, but filled with seeds. And the gel was mostly orange, with a slight green hue.

A remarkably beautiful tomato with flavor to match!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Warren Bees, a Large Bi-Color

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:05 am

That is a beautiful tomato. I'm so glad that your trial turned out so well for you and that it is something that you enjoyed. I wonder if it is stable?

Since it is experimental, it is unlikely to be stable. It sounds like it has thrown cherries as well as beefsteaks. You really liked this one so be sure to save some seeds to grow out again and/or to pass on. Perhaps place the seeds in the experimental section of the MMMM to get seeds out to others of this great flavored one.
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:50 am

I will absolutely be sharing. I have the seed fermenting now. Though, the number of seed packets to share are a bit scarce....🙁. I think i may be able to make 5 packs up
- - - - - - - -

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am

Warren Bees (F4, I believe), a bi-color beefsteak, came into the swap many years ago (2014?). It was donated toward the "experimental" and/or "giant" (2 lbs +) categories. It could have also gone into the "orange/gold/yellow/white/bi-color" category, but eventually didn't. It definitely wasn't a cherry.

This is the first grow out report on it, that I've heard. ;)

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 pm

Yep, seeds were from 2014. Im glad to have recieved them.
- - - - - - - -

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 pm

I planted six cells of my F5 seeds i saved last year. They are coming up Potato Leafed. Not sure if it's a mix up, a cross, or the possibility that the variety reverted to an unknown parentage (hoping this is the case).

Wanted to inform those that would have received seeds from 2021, that this may also be the case for you. I'll provide updates later this year
- - - - - - - -

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed May 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 pm I planted six cells of my F5 seeds i saved last year. They are coming up Potato Leafed. Not sure if it's a mix up, a cross, or the possibility that the variety reverted to an unknown parentage (hoping this is the case).

Wanted to inform those that would have received seeds from 2021, that this may also be the case for you. I'll provide updates later this year
I have 5 seeds left, will plant them all, and see what comes up.

Return to “Tomato Talk”