Mesh strainer for tomatoes?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Gardadore
Reactions:

Re: Mesh strainer for tomatoes?

Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:07 am

Love the OXO mill as well! I make my sauce a variety of ways depending on quantity of tomatoes on hand and time. Cook either stove top or oven roast.
No matter what method I use I always remove seeds with the mill. As for the skins if I make sauce on the stove too I put the tomatoes in the Vitamix for a short time to grind up the skins. There are still a lot of seeds left so I pour the liquid through the OXO to get rid of the seeds and cook the liquid down.
Alternatively if I oven roast I cut up the tomatoes into a ceramic roasting dish, cook down and put the mixture through the mill to remove skins and seeds. I like Bower’s method of putting cooled cooked mixture in blender to grind up skins. But then I would use the mill to remove any seeds that didn’t grind up. Might change consistency but worth a try. Oven roasting seems to take longer than stove top but I prefer consistency and intense flavor.
A third method I have used only once was to cut up tomatoes, place on a tray in freezer, and transfer frozen pieces to gallon bags to store in freezer. I was visiting family in another state for a week and didn’t have time to cook the tomatoes before I left. Upon my return I defrosted the tomatoes. The skin came right off the pieces. I put the defrosted pieces through the OXO which worked because they were super mushy from being frozen. This removed the seeds. I then oven roasted the pulp that came through the mill. That went fast and I loved the consistency.
In all cases I add a little honey, salt, pepper, herbs, mashed garlic and Parmesan cheese to final product and freeze in containers.
Basically I find the OXO mill to be indispensable for making tomato sauce regardless of the method!

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Mesh strainer for tomatoes?

Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 pm

If you like refried beans the strainer in question makes one of the best around.
I used something more simple but if you have one why not use it.
The object is to mash up the beans after cooking in lardcand their juices then run through a strainer to get rid of the skins.
I'm doing canned kidney beans this way today.
In my opinion there isn't anything good about kidney bean skins.
Almost impossible to digest.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “What's Cooking.”