Newbie MMMM question

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

SummerintheSouth
Reactions:

Newbie MMMM question

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:15 pm

1. Can I ask for seeds if I don't have any yet to contribute?
2. Would this seed from 2020 be appropriate for MMMM?
Identity unknown - looks like an Artisan tomato (Green or Lucky Tiger) or similar - came in a flat of unlabeled seedlings.
stripy tomato - 1.jpeg
In a 2014 thread at Tomatoville, Fred Hempel, the breeder said he was applying for Protected Plant Variety (PVP) for Lucky Tiger.
A lawyer on the thread commented that it was legal to save seed of a PVP variety for your own use, and even give it away in trade, but it may not be sold.
3. If I have more than 5 seeds to contribute, should I bag them as 5 seed units or just send a bunch?
4. Should I do a germ test first?
5. What seed containment devices are recommended?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Newbie MMMM question

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:34 pm

SummerintheSouth wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:15 pm 1. Can I ask for seeds if I don't have any yet to contribute?
2. Would this seed from 2020 be appropriate for MMMM?
Identity unknown - looks like an Artisan tomato (Green or Lucky Tiger) or similar - came in a flat of unlabeled seedlings.
stripy tomato - 1.jpeg
In a 2014 thread at Tomatoville, Fred Hempel, the breeder said he was applying for Protected Plant Variety (PVP) for Lucky Tiger.
A lawyer on the thread commented that it was legal to save seed of a PVP variety for your own use, and even give it away in trade, but it may not be sold.
3. If I have more than 5 seeds to contribute, should I bag them as 5 seed units or just send a bunch?
4. Should I do a germ test first?
5. What seed containment devices are recommended?
1. Yes.
2. Yes. But, put it in the "experimental" category, as an unknown variety.
3. 5 to 10 seeds in a pack.
4. No.
5. Anything that holds seeds without spilling, works. The "standard" of most traders is 2" X 3" clear plastic zip lock-type baggies. WalMart has them in the craft/bead area, @ $1.44 per 100. Sometimes they are out of that size, so another size may have to do.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:43 pm

[mention]SummerintheSouth[/mention] you could also ask for a sponsor. This person would kindly supply you with seed to send into the swap. There are lots of generous gardeners here that would be more than happy to do so and then you would be able to enter more categories! :D
~ Patti ~

SummerintheSouth
Reactions:

Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:36 pm

What the deal about packets and categories?
I guess I need to submit 10 packets of 5-10 seeds for each category I request?
What's a category? A species, a variety, a type (like pink tomatoes or cherry tomatoes)?

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:56 pm

Don't worry about submitting 10 packets to a category. Sponsors will cover you.

Categories (from memory only)...

Beefsteak
Black
Blue
Cherry/Grape/Currant
Cold Weather
Determinate
Dwarf (Project)
Early (55 DTM or less)
Eastern European
Experimental
Green
Heart
Italian/(Plum/Paste)
Hot Weather
Hybrid
Micro
Pink
Potato Leaf
Red
Striped
White/Yellow/Gold/Orange/Bi-color

... or thereabouts. If I'm missing any, I'll post them in a few days.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Any Canadian residents have any problems sending in seeds for the swap?

Should I assemble the shipping package in any specific way to make things easier? Multiple packages if I am sending a lot of seed packets? I could easily send 500 packets.

All my seeds are in small plastic zip bags placed into larger zip bags.

Thanks.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:44 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:02 pm Any Canadian residents have any problems sending in seeds for the swap?

Should I assemble the shipping package in any specific way to make things easier? Multiple packages if I am sending a lot of seed packets? I could easily send 500 packets.

Thanks.
Covid may have changed international mailing "inspections" a bit. In a decade plus of hosting the swap (about 1,000 packages domestic, about 100 to Canada, and about 50 overseas), I've had 5 packages (3 going out - Bermuda, Australia, and France, along with 2 coming in - Germany routed through Canada, and another long forgotten), not make it. 3 of those 5 were last year. 2 of those 3 were business-sized envelopes about a 1/4" thick (which likely raised suspicions). I don't believe I've ever had a bubble mailer not make it here, being sent from Canada, or anywhere else.

I, along with a few others, declare on the customs form that the contents have no value, and that they are a "gift". I simply list them as seeds, and the number of packs.

500 packs is a lot (for a non-domestic mailing). Perhaps you should PM me a list of what you could send. I recommend sending 2 bubble mailers maximum, perhaps just one will do.

When sending many packs of a single variety, either putting all of those packs into a larger zip baggie (as you seem to be doing?), or a rubber band around the group works. STAPLES DO NOT WORK. The edges can cut open other baggies in the package. And, elaborate taping together of packs means that I have just as much work to untape them.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:44 am
Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:02 pm Any Canadian residents have any problems sending in seeds for the swap?

Thanks.
Covid may have changed international mailing "inspections" a bit. In a decade plus of hosting the swap (about 1,000 packages domestic, about 100 to Canada, and about 50 overseas), I've had 5 packages (3 going out - Bermuda, Australia, and France, along with 2 coming in - Germany routed through Canada, and another long forgotten), not make it. 3 of those 5 were last year. 2 of those 3 were business-sized envelopes about a 1/4" thick (which likely raised suspicions). I don't believe I've ever had a bubble mailer not make it here, being sent from Canada, or anywhere else.

I, along with a few others, declare on the customs form that the contents have no value, and that they are a "gift". I simply list them as seeds, and the number of packs.

500 packs is a lot (for a non-domestic mailing). Perhaps you should PM me a list of what you could send. I recommend sending 2 bubble mailers maximum, perhaps just one will do.

When sending many packs of a single variety, either putting all of those packs into a larger zip baggie (as you seem to be doing?), or a rubber band around the group works. STAPLES DO NOT WORK. The edges can cut open other baggies in the package. And, elaborate taping together of packs means that I have just as much work to untape them.
Ok thanks. I will only send a single bubble mailer. So, however many fit in that I will send. I will PM you my list.

Spike
Reactions:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm

I don't really have many tomato seeds but lots of others. Can I still play too?
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Spike wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm I don't really have many tomato seeds but lots of others. Can I still play too?
Of course you can. Jump right on in cause the water's warm.

I will be happy to sponsor you if you want me to. Just send me a PM.
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 am

There is a 2022 MMMM spoiler thread. If you've got other kinds of seeds that you plan to send in, post them there. A few people like to check out the spoilers and request seeds.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am

Spike wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm I don't really have many tomato seeds but lots of others. Can I still play too?
There is a 2021 Non-Tomato seed thread where you should say what you are sending in so people will know to request them. Non-tomatoes should not remain a mystery if you want them to find homes. The thread is for both veggies and flowers.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:56 pm

The spoiler alert thread is for tomatoes. Those that don't want it to be a mostly mystery (though it still might be) can select from those lists for their wish lists.

Spike
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:45 pm

I have to ask. One thing I am confused over. To join in the swap, how many seeds/packets are you supposed to send in?
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Spike wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:45 pm I have to ask. One thing I am confused over. To join in the swap, how many seeds/packets are you supposed to send in?
One! :lol: One and a smile gets you into the swap.

There are different sections to the swap. The Wish List, The bonus seeds, the Nifty Fifty and the Categories.

This is your first swap so just stick with the Wish List and the Categories. The Categories need at least 5 seeds per pack and 10 packs of the same seed goes into one category.
~ Patti ~

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:28 am

Was hoping to clarify something.

It is recommended to send a 9"x6" bubble mailer containing the seed contributions and return address info inside to Tormato. Does that mean the bubble mailer I send in is re-used to send seeds back to me?

My plan was to send a bubble mailer with the following contents:
  • labeled seed packets (10/type)
  • printed list/description of what I sent
  • printed wish list
  • new self-addressed 9"x6" bubble mailer
  • cash for postage
Thanks.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am

MissS wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:55 pm
Spike wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:45 pm I have to ask. One thing I am confused over. To join in the swap, how many seeds/packets are you supposed to send in?

There are different sections to the swap. The Wish List, The bonus seeds, the Nifty Fifty and the Categories.

This is your first swap so just stick with the Wish List and the Categories. The Categories need at least 5 seeds per pack and 10 packs of the same seed goes into one category.
I must have missed it somewhere. What is the bonus section?
Debbie

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm

OhioGardener wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am
MissS wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:55 pm

I must have missed it somewhere. What is the bonus section?

The Bonus Seeds are where you send in your extra packs of seeds. It does not have to be in 10 pack lots but does have to be a minimum of 5 seeds per pack. I always try to send in as many extra seed packs as I can for the bonus section. This is what makes our parcels so very fat and full.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:27 pm

The bonus section has no description. It's usually a mystery even to me, until I open packages. As long as it fits into a bubble mailer, and doesn't fit into any other category, that's the bonus category. Many times it will be bulk seeds that people have no use for. Like the 1,000+ asparagus seeds I cleaned the other day. ;)

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Didn't know where to post this. I can sponsor someone in the following categories:
Pink
Black
Red
Cherry
Paste
Beefsteak
Eastern European
one of either Yellow OR Heart, your choice.

Nan

Return to “MMMM Swap”