The Dawg Patch

brownrexx
Reactions:

Re: The Dawg Patch

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm

I bought 2 varieties of bush type sweet potato slips from GA this year. The vines are 18" long max and I really like that. I grew Vardeman and Bunch Porto Rico.

I have not dug them yet but I hope that they look as nice as yours. Those are the size I like. My Beauregard always made huge tubers which I did not really like.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Very nice with the sweet potato trellis...good ideas roll off you, keep them coming.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:25 am

Thanks, @JRinPA. I love to tinker with stuff and play with "what if..." s. Sometimes ideas work and sometimes they don't but it always feels good when they do.

BTW, the bed is 4'x18'.

Those black things down the row are the top halves of one gallon nursery pots that I cut off.

I call them watering collars, something else I experimented with this year. They're pushed into the ground along the top of the row around each slip and when I water, it keeps the water from running down the sides, allowing it to soak in. They work pretty good and are reusable. Yeah, looking at the photo I see there sure is room to grow something else down the sides. Note made for next year.

Last year I tried eating the young leaves. They're OK and would definitely be a food source in an emergency but not something I'd make regularly. It must be that milky sap that looks like latex that gives them, well, a "different" taste. Just some flavor in the background but that could probably be disguised by cooking them with something like bacon grease. :D

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:30 am

@GoDawgs Your gardens are amazing and I have certainly enjoyed this thread. It has been fun to watch everything grow and witness your challenges. Your beds are so well thought out and well tended.

I am hoping to be starting a few raised beds in my own yard next year. The DNR has thinned the deer herd and if they continue to do some more this fall then perhaps I can grow something in my own yard instead of renting plots at the community garden. We will see.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Thank you for those kind words, @MissS ! I'm just glad some of the stuff I post is helpful. And that feeling of helplessness and anger at deer destroying hard work is well known and felt here too. Fortunately it seems to be seasonal here, usually in late winter when there's no green stuff out there for them to munch on except brassicas, etc in the garden. Then it ends late Aprll/early May after the pastures have greened up. Fortunately I've got my plastic hoops and deer netting ready to deploy a net tunnel over each bed at the first sign of a munch. They have saved my gardening sanity. :D

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:56 pm

I don't have much of a deer problem here @MissS and @GoDawgs but in the last 2 years we have seen 2 or 3 and last year I discovered that they must like sweet potato leaves because when I went to the garden I found vines with just stems sticking up and no leaves. Fortunately it was at the end of the season and no damage was done to the tubers.

I have not had any deer damage this year because I think that they have enough browse in the undeveloped swampy wooded area near my house.

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes, they do like sweet potatoes. The first word there is 'sweet'. If you grow them here they will dig them up.

I'm going to start a new deer thread in the pest forum so that we don't hijack Dawgs thread. :o
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

First Indoor Micros Of The Season

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:44 am

First pic posted from the new computer. Two days ago I potted up the first three micros for the indoor season. L to R Red Robin, Jochalos and Pinocchio Orange. I started one more of each that are just 1" tall right now, hoping that they'll start producing when the first three are about done.

I'm not thrilled with the default Microsoft photo program so will be looking for something else. Any suggestions? Preferably a freebie. :)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:57 pm

We've had some real warm and dry afternoons but the nights have been in the low 60's so morning garden work is nice! I've been getting some planting and maintenance done.

The Provider beans have been growing fast and I had to add a second support string so they don't flop. It makes picking so much easier. They're flowering now and the first beans are forming. First picking will happen in a few days.

The broccoli and cauliflower plantings have been staggered again. On the far side of the bed are 12 Packman, two plantings of six. On the near side are six cauliflower, two plantings of three with three more to go into a different bed.

Also in the bed are two Jacaranda broccoli (near side) from seeds someone sent for me to try. They seem bigger than the Packman (far side).

These are kohlrabi; Blauerspeck (l) and Kolibri (r). I started six of each mid Augusta and planted them out mid Sep then I started six more of each mid Sep and just planted them out behind the first ones two days ago. Boy, that second set grew fast! Come spring I need to space out the startings farther or I'll have a mess of kohlrabi ready at the same time. We have rain today and tomorrow and when it's done I'll pull the mulch back up to them to lock in that good moisture.

The transition to the fall garden is almost complete. Just about the only thing left to plant out will be the onions, scallions and garlic and that will happen in two weeks. These are the Texas 1015 (front), Warrior scallions and Australian Brown onions in the back. A bit small but they always do just fine.

And finally, one of the purple cone flowers looked different to me. Maybe I've just not paid attention. Maybe the cone part always looks this red before elongating. But I decided to take a pic of it anyway just in case it really is different.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:22 pm

That's a beautiful fall garden. I wish that I could do that here.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:51 am

Thanks, @MissS . There's a six-pack of Komatsuna greens I grew as an afterthought from a freebie pack of seed and I think that this afternoon I'll stick them in that empty space in the broccoli plant pic.

Funny about that empty space. I had saved seed this spring from Packman broccoli, a hybrid, just to see what I'd get. Well, I started a 4-pack this fall and when they started growing they were uniform but the more they grew the less they looked like broccoli. Eventually they started looking vaguely familiar so I pulled a leaf and crushed it between my fingers. Arugula! Gah! :o No wonder the seed looked a bit odd.Somehow I mislabeled them as broccoli. Now I'm wondering if I actually kept the saved broccoli seed or just tossed it out. What an idiot. :roll:

bower
Reactions:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:07 pm

I too am really impressed with your fall garden. The beans alone! blow my mind, since we can hardly keep them happy at midsummer. It's great to see the wonderful things you can do with that long season. :)
PS you're not the first person to get something strange from mixed up brassica seeds. More common than you think! ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:55 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:51 am Thanks, @MissS . There's a six-pack of Komatsuna greens I grew as an afterthought from a freebie pack of seed and I think that this afternoon I'll stick them in that empty space in the broccoli plant pic.

Funny about that empty space. I had saved seed this spring from Packman broccoli, a hybrid, just to see what I'd get. Well, I started a 4-pack this fall and when they started growing they were uniform but the more they grew the less they looked like broccoli. Eventually they started looking vaguely familiar so I pulled a leaf and crushed it between my fingers. Arugula! Gah! :o No wonder the seed looked a bit odd.Somehow I mislabeled them as broccoli. Now I'm wondering if I actually kept the saved broccoli seed or just tossed it out. What an idiot. :roll:
That is so sad because Pacman is my very favorite broccoli and it is hard to come by.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm

@MissS, you're right about Packman getting harder to find. I usually deal with no more than four or five seed vendors as I don't want to pay shipping for just one pack of something. Jung is who I've been buying Packman from for a while now.

In the search to see if there was anything else out there just in case Packman went away, a few years ago I tried Blue Wind (F1) in the same bed as the Packman. It did really well, making the same size heads. Then began The Great Side Shoot race to see which made the most. It was a virtual tie! So I put the rest of that seed in my freezer "vault" in case I ever need it.

Wish I could find a non-hybrid that performs as well and have tried just about every one out there with no luck. What seems to grow well and be recommended by others hasn't performed here.

goodloe
Reactions:

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:26 pm

It just tuckers me out seeing all you do. I hope you put aside the garden chores on Saturday to watch some UGA Football!
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:26 am

@goodloe , I wouldn't miss it for the world. Nothing gets done after 12:00 on Saturdays except football from then until I fall asleep. LOL! The Dawgs are headed to traditional long time enemy Auburn tomorrow and it's always a fight regardless of rankings.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:30 am

Last week I noticed that almost overnight a few of the lowest broccoli leaves had gotten eaten. Holes too big for flea beetles. When I turned the leaves over I found real small army worms working away. After disposing of those I sprayed all the brassicas well with bT and a week later there's no signs of new damage.

When the first army worm invasion hit the fall eggplant two years ago I contacted the county extension agent for a positive ID and doublechecked to make sure bT would control them. She said yes, but only if they are about 1/2" or less in size. After that, bT doesn't work well on them and handpicking the larger ones would be needed. After spraying I cut off the damaged leaves and patrolled the eggplant for about a week, picking off the worms that had been missed and had gotten larger. That seemed to have dealt successfully with the problem. I'm glad I caught this recent batch on the broccoli very early.

Another problem was solved last night. There have been armadillo holes dug in the yard again. In the past week on separate mornings there was a new armadillo dead in the road out front. Still more holes were being dug, the most recent being yesterday morning when I found the first one in the garden at the end of the turnip row. Grrrrr!. Then last evening Pickles spied a 'dillo digging away in the back yard. Mr. Mossberg fixed the problem. I don't mind possums at all but 'dillos gotta go.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:03 am

We've had 2" of rain over the past two days which is wonderful! Maybe a shower today but then nice weather comes in. As soon as the garlic bed dries out enough I need to fork it up for upcoming planting.

Due to the recent migration to a new computer I discovered that there was a problem with the newest Excel dealing in some ways with the garden data and maps spreadsheets created on a very old Excel and fortunately saved on my external hard drive. Long story short, I've spent a lot of time the past few days recreating the 2021 and 2022 tabs as new records in the new Excel. Fortunately I can copy/past the data from old to new but have to recreate the formats. In the process though, I discovered I didn't plan space for planting onions this fall since I originally was not going to do that. They'll fit in somewhere!

Two of the three micro tomatoes are setting fruit under the lights. Just a few buds so far on the Red Robin. This is Jochalos:

And this is Pinocchio Orange:

Here are the three new ones to hopefully start producing when the three older ones start tailing off. I'll probably have to fiddle with start dates to get that succession right for these particular three. They were started Sep 18.

There's not a lot to pick right now but some is better than none! Some field peas to shell, one Marconi and three Gypsy peppers, the first two snow peas, four Chinese String eggplant and a handful of shelled lima beans. There were also a zucchini and a yellow squash picked after the photo was taken. The limas have slowed down to making almost nothing so it's time to clear the trellis when I get a chance.

Some of the pepper, the eggplants, squash and some home canned tomatoes were combined into a sort of tasty ratatouille to go with yesterday's lunch. I also made the first cutting of kale and that will be fixed for lunch today. This morning I will pick the first of the Provider bush beans.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:29 pm

The rain has moved on leaving us pretty days ahead. I've been out in the garden puttering; deadheading the last of the zinnias, mulching the first group of carrots and the last group of brassicas. Easy work to enjoy the nice breeze by.

Last fall I planted some Savoy cabbage for the first time, just three plants but only one of the three really looked like a Savoy. I started four more and so far, only one of them (on the far right) looks like a Savoy. In fact, the one on the far left almost looks like a kale.

Pickles announced yesterday that there are two volunteer potato plants coming up from a few spuds that got missed this spring. This is one of them. Nice plant! I wonder how far along it will get before Mr. Frosty comes to town. I will try to protect it as that first frost is usually just a light one with several more weeks afterward until the real deal hits.

It is surely fall when the asters bloom. Half of the bed is in full bloom and the other half still has lots of tight buds. That 10' bed is packed with them, all from a handful of starter plants dug and passed on by a friend. Talk about garden sluts!

And finally, the fruits of the labor. Today's lunch was a casserole that included our own squash, peppers and garlic along with sides of kale and fresh picked beans, all from the garden. It makes doing the garden all worthwhile. :D

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:54 am

Yesterday was putter day in the garden, doing a little of this and that. I got both the onion and the garlic beds forked up and pulled soil to the scallion and leek plants. Ant mounds got the soap treatment and another pound of green beans got picked.

Today I cut down the lima bean vines as they're done and were shading the scallion.leek bed until about noon. Not any more!

I was going to start removing the older of the two Red Ripper field pea beds behind the leek/scallion bed but they're setting one last round of pods and so have a reprieve for now.

There was also an audience watching me taking down the lima vines. I always sing Amazing Graze to them:

Amazing graze, how sweet the grass
That feeds a cow like me.
I once was a calf but now I'm grown
and soon to be someone's beef.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”