The Garden of Woz...

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: The Garden of Woz...

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:51 am

72 hours down the track and it looks like Garrote Bicolor Aracenes is the first to start germinating. Will check again in daylight tomorrow

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:40 am

Tomato germination has been inconsistent here so far, some doing well and others very slow, not sure why. Added a few more varieties to the heat mat today after potting up the first 90 or so seedlings plus the 24 sunflower "Giant" seedlings which came up no problems. First of the capsicums are coming up and look to be doing better overall than the tomatoes.

Extras added include

La Case de Aquila
Wes
Brandywine Sudduths
Pertsevidnyy
Chocolate Stripes
Copia
Orange Cherry
and resows of
Russo Sicillian Togetta
King Humberto

and some seed of the striped capsicum "Candy Cane" from a friend who glued a flower bud together to ensure selfing.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:34 am

You have a great line-up started. I am really looking forward to watching your gardens grow this year. They are a wonderful break for me from our winter.
~ Patti ~

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:33 am

Three extra tomatoes went in a few days ago, a commercial yellow Roma style, and two from [mention]Volvo[/mention], including the Black Beauty cross.

Have started potting some of the first lot of tomatoes and 4 lots of capsicums, 5 plants of Leutschauer paprika, 10 plants of an un-named orange bell, 25 Long Sweet Yellow capsicums from seed collected from plants grown here. This parent plant was growing as part of a group of capsicums that included Candy Cane so there maybe some striped fruit out of these, along with some of the others yet to be potted up. A further 35 plants of a white Hungarian bell were also potted up, seed from a commercial fruit. Be interested to see if these are similar to the Leutschauer paprika.

We received 54 mm, 2.16 inches of rain over the 5 days leading up to today. Fortunately the vegetable beds are sand and I was able to work one up and planted two rows of potatoes, one of Mayan Gold and the other Kestral, both rows about 13.4 m/43 feet long

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 am

Another row of potatoes in today, Nicolas this time. Also had to do some running repairs on the bell pepper cover and found another ripe one. Snow peas starting to produce nicely.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 am

Fourth row of potatoes in yesterday. Carismas this time. Been potting up tomatoes and less than 20 to go when I ran out of potting mix. Not worried about that as they are from the last lot planted and small yet. Lots of peppers ready to pot up. Hearing that the BOM is talking about La Nina again. Another wet summer is not what I need

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 pm

La Nina brings us a colder winter on this coast.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:55 pm

Had an unpleasant surprise yesterday, thought I would check the pH of the soil in the veggie bed expansion as a number of plant varieties did not do as well as they should have last summer that wasn't. Used a Manutec soil kit to give me a broad guide and found that the soil pH was 8! Expecting something close to 5, check a couple of other areas and pH was down to around 5. Sort of helps to explain a few things that were not to my liking last summer. So volumes of compost and some finely ground Sulphur will be required to correct this.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:06 pm

That is a pretty big difference in PH values. Is that due to some of these beds being new this year?
~ Patti ~

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:07 am

@MissS, yes that is due to the soil that was delivered last year. Most unusual for that type of soil (grey sand) here to have a pH above 6. Need to have a talk supplier to find out more about source.

This pH is so unusual that I had organised a couple of bags of lime to go on these beds without checking pH first, glad I did! I am not sure how much impact this high pH had on the growth of the tomatoes last year but it probably impacted the beetroot growth.

Must get a full soil test done.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:03 am

Have been busy planting more potatoes, a total of 3 rows about 14 m long, of Carismas in, bringing to 6 rows all up in the soil bed.

Have another bed which has been out of action for the last couple of years. This has been raised up with local sub-soil and needs a lot of organic matter incorporated into it to so I got an 6 x 4 x 3 foot bale of pea straw and I have put this on top. This has given me a layer about 8 inches thick, in which I have put more potatoes. These are in rows that are 2.5 or 3 m long and where multiple rows of one variety planted the tags are on the western stake that mark each row. The varieties are New Zealand Kidney, Burgundy Blush, Pink Fir Apple, Purple Congo, Ponting, some unknowns, Next in Line and Bloodshot fill in most of this bed.

bower
Reactions:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:44 am

What's the scoop on pea straw, Whwoz? I've just been composting mine with everything else, but I might just have enough for a surface treatment if it's not too gross (aka mouldy) by the end of season. Does it decompose any or is it like any other mulch?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:29 pm

First time using it @Bower so I can not say how well it will decompose. A lot of people around here talk well about it in general terms but I have not asked for further information.

Alfalfa is regarded as number one mulch here but at three times the price, ouch!.
Pea apparently is not that far behind and is left over from growing field peas so I will have a bonus crop coming up

bower
Reactions:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:26 pm

I was just reading about pea weevil in australia - someone said he got it from commercial pea straw. Be careful not to put it around your peas? I guess?

I have some odd bundles of straw this year. Bit of wheat. Bit of oat. Pea straw. Barley straw. Never had these grain straw things and not sure what to do with it. I guess with garlic going in this stuff could add to the leaves I'm using for mulch. I suppose you would have to chop it all up for that purpose. Don't have a mower. I just imagine it will blow away.
I think my pea leaves are kind of gross when the plant goes down. Some kind of molds, maybe a few leaf miners. But if they break down quickly that wouldn't bother garlic I imagine.
Funny how no one uses tomato leaves as a mulch. :lol: :twisted:
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:21 pm

At least the pea seed in this lot of mulch is showing no sign of weevil in it @Bower, thanks for the information.

Re grain straw mulch, just spread it out two or three inches thick, water lightly to tie it together and it should be fine. You may get some regrowth due to missed grain seeds but that should be all.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:35 am

The last two varieties of potatoes, small seed tubers from an amateur breeder that I nearly missed out on are in 30 Lt tubs, along with 3 varieties of okay, first time growing this so we will see how they go and if we like the taste

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:28 am

All germinated tomatoes and capsicums have been potted up today, fortunately yesterday's wind did not completely destroy the mini greenhouse's that I use to cover the potted up seedlings, although I do have a spare or 5 in the shed. Half a dozen late arrivals courtesy of a personal MMM from Tormato had a couple of seeds dropped into some mix as well. Two lots of cucumbers, some Crystal Apple and one called Japanese Climbing Cucumber had been potted up from punnets. Snow peas for sprouts and popping corn for harvest as baby corn also sown.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:51 am

Got home from Loch Sport today and checked out a few things. Potatoes wise, the Kestral are at 95% or thereabouts up, the Mayan Gold are at 75% up and the Nicolas are coming through as well. To early for the others yet.

Snow peas for sprouts are starting to germinate, as is the popping corn, which will be transplanted into 50 mm forestry tubes and then planted out to the north of the house, with most to be harvested as baby corn.

Tomatoes are coming along nicely with most of a size that could be planted out now if they had been hardened off.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 am

Potato update

Kestral only one or two missed, Mayan Gold have 6 missed I reckon, Nicolas are mostly up and Carisma are starting. Those in the pea mulch are doing well, shoots up a couple of inches long when I hunt for them.

Speaking of the mulch, I went through the pea mulch and found 100 seeds that had started to germinate, these got potted up as did 60 bean seeds scrounged from the outside of the bean mulch bale that the rain and warmth of the bale had started to germinate

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:50 am

Busy day in the garden of Woz today, cleaned up the other half of the bed that I put the potatoes in pea straw in, had to rip out the strawberries, rotary hoe the ground add 1.5 meters of soil and some mulch. Replanted 46 Hokowase Strawberries and potted up 110 popcorn seedlings which will go into the balance of this bed. These will serve two trials, first to see how popcorn goes picked early as baby corn and the second will be to provide some shade for some of the strawberries.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”