Bleaching tomato seeds?

EdieJ
Reactions:

Bleaching tomato seeds?

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am

I did not soak the seeds I saved in bleach when I saved them (in 2018.) I wasn't worried about it because I figured I would be the only one using them. But since I will be sending them to other people, should I go ahead and give them a soak now? And if so, what portion of bleach to water and how long to soak?
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Bleaching tomato seeds?

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am

How did you prepare your seeds for drying? Did you just dry them or did you use some method to remove the gel? Did you have any disease issues with your tomatoes the year that you saved them? Most people believe that the harmful pathogens reside in the gel and that you need to remove the gel to have disease free seed.
In short, no I would not bleach your seeds now. I would just inform those that you send them too how you prepared the seed for drying. Many of us us the method of fermentation and believe that in doing so that it destroys any harmful pathogens. Others use the Oxiclean method to remove the gel.
~ Patti ~

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 pm

I didn't do the world's best job of getting the gel off unfortunately. So should I at least wet them and rub them to get stuff off? I really didn't realize until this morning that I had forgotten to do that before putting them up. Moral of story is don't try to save seed while moving. Sigh.
Zone 7

zendog
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:15 pm

I wouldn't wet them since that could get them germinating and you don't want that before it is time to plant. Leave them dry and, as MissS says, let folks know. When I've had seeds with gel on them, I let them soak for a few hours then push them around in a small metal strainer with my finger while running water through them and that usually cleans them up just fine. I've also put them briefly in hydrogen peroxide before soaking in water to disinfect them, which I think works pretty well.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm

zendog, thanks... So be forewarned since it's the ML seeds I'm sending out that didn't get cleaned properly. I do apologize for the extra work for you and the others. I will make sure they all know.
Zone 7

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm

No don't worry. I have saved seeds for 'myself' by just drying them on a paper plate. I had no issues at all, however anything that I do send out has been fermented.

You are doing fine by letting them know. :D
~ Patti ~

Nan6b
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32 pm

It's recommended to bleach seeds immediately before planting, if one wishes to bleach. Leave that up to the recipients.

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:21 am

I agree, let the recipient choose.

I followed Dr. Carolyn Male's advice only on saving seeds.
Texas Zone 8A

Return to “Seed Starting”