Ground Some Pork Today

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Ground Some Pork Today

Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:39 am

This morning I ground up the pork butt that I bought on sale and cubed up for grinding yesterday. I use a pretty old Oster Kitchen Center but it does a good job of grinding meat. That's all I use it for.

The top half flips around so the grinder can be attached. I first do a course grind, change disks and do the final grind.

Then it gets weighed out in one pound increments and wrapped in plastic and foil for the freezer. A plastic container makes a good mold for uniform packs. I ended up with 8 lb 10 oz of ground pork from the 10 lb butt.

The butt was $1.79/lb, not the best sale but better than it has been lately. You get while the gettin's good. Bone and removed connective tissue weighed 1.6 lb so the refigured actual cost of the ground meat came to $2.13//lb. Still cheaper than burger and way less expensive than the already ground stuff at the store.

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Ground Some Pork Today

Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:44 pm

Wow, I haven't seen one of those in years.
Reminds me of the Smithy Mill Drill Lathe. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:59 pm

GoDawgs
Have you ever made sausage with this machine? On Friday we drove about 75 miles to get good, fresh ground country sausage at an old fashioned grocery store where they make sausage every day.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:24 pm

friedgreen51 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:59 pm GoDawgs
Have you ever made sausage with this machine? On Friday we drove about 75 miles to get good, fresh ground country sausage at an old fashioned grocery store where they make sausage every day.
No, it doesn't have a stuffer. But I do have a manual stuffer that works kind of like a big ricer where you put the meat in the hopper, pull down the lever and it forces the meat out through the casings. I don't make links that often but keep a steady supply of breakfast patties on hand. They're fried before freezing so all I have to do is nuke them. :D

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:29 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:44 pm Wow, I haven't seen one of those in years.
Reminds me of the Smithy Mill Drill Lathe. :lol:
Yeah, it's really old! Grinding and kneading (it does have dough hooks) one kind of sticky bread dough for 15 minutes are is all I use it for but as long as it works I won't have to buy one. The food processor, hand held mixer, blender and good old knife skills take care of anything I need to do. :D

Danny
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:27 am

You can cut down on the price by using all the trim and bones to make stock with after you are done making sausage. I save up veg ( onion butts and skins, carrot trim, celery butts, and so on) and all the chicken bones and pork bones too, makes great home made stock. We reduce it to pretty strong and freeze it in cubes to be able to always have good stock on hand. A few we can up in pint jars, like the extra broth from corned beef suppers. Makes many things better, especially the corned beef broth in red beans or field peas.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:52 am

Making stock is a regular thing here, mostly chicken and ham but I'll do turkey stock after Thanksgiving and put up turkey-veggie soup. No sense in wasting those bones and trimmings! :D

I can it up mostly in pints and if I don't use the whole jar for what I'm making I'll freeze the rest.

Return to “Preserving Methods, share recipes and techniques!”