"Can a tomato be fruity?"

Everything About Tomatoes
wykvlvr
Reactions:

"Can a tomato be fruity?"

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:35 am

Asked my dh after trying his first bi-color. Yes of course it can be and nope you have to wait for the other Big Hill tomatoes to get ripe before you can have more. Yes this one got added to our must grow again list. I have been pleasantly surprised by this variety. It does have a large number of fused blossoms but even the single blossoms are big and you can see that exerted stamen that makes it susceptible to cross breeding. This year I didn't bag any blossoms so no seed to share but next year hopefully will be less chaotic and I can bag a few blossoms before they open. So far they are his favorite tomato but Pendula Orange is a close runner up and will also be on the list for next year.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: "Can a tomato be fruity?"

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 am

I agree that the bi-colors can taste fruity, the most fruity of any type of tomato, in my garden. But, I find them too sweet to eat as an every day tomato. Every 2nd or 3rd day is fine. I usually only plant about one variety a year, as the weather (rain) has a huge impact on the fruit quality. Too much rain and they will be the worst tomatoes in the garden, mushy and bland tasting.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:56 am

Wry grin considering we are in a severe drought too much rain was not a problem this year. This was my first successful attempt to grow a bi color and the original plan was to attempt some crosses to a micro. Unfortunately all my plans this year went out the window due to my health issues and then the death of one of our Wyoming group. Of course right now we appear to be having a lovely false summer so I may still get something done...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

ddsack
Reactions:

Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:56 am

I agree the bi-colors are the most fruity, especially in a dry year. I also consider Sungold F1 cherry fruity. The first time I ever grew a Brandywine Yellow, I was amazed to taste fruity tones similar to cantelope. But so much depends on each season, and soil components. I've never had a repeat of that flavor note in other BY's, though I have grown it again and it was good anyway.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 am

In direct answer to the question.
Can a tomato be fruity?
Yes and so can the person growing them.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Paulf
Reactions:

Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 am

Many of the yellow/orange/bi-color tomatoes have a fruity taste to me, but then all taste buds are individual in nature. This year, growing several of the before mentioned colors, 4 of 6 are fruity and a couple have an old fashioned zing to them. I like the sweet, fruity ones better.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:41 am

Orange Russian 117.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Tomato Talk”