Perennial edible alliums

bower
Reactions:

Re: Perennial edible alliums

Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:58 am

@svalli I also was surprised to lose my outdoor patch of Hardy Evergreen, after about six years. I was especially surprised because I had given them some care for a change that year, properly weeded and fed. It may have been a pest attack - something took huge bites out of the 'french shallot' eschalion I grew last summer too. But in part it was the harsh winter for sure, as the 'perennial green onion' also was very late to emerge and looked battered. Not sure if those survived either. Luckily I had started seeds of both the previous season with some left over in a flat I didn't plant out, so I made a new bed for those and for some other things going to seed last spring, and they did fine but didn't flower at all. And I have some of them in pots too, which are back in the greenhouse. They are mixed up together though and I'm not sure how hard it will be to tell them apart. PO is the one that makes decent sized bulbs which I've dug in the fall, while HE doesn't bulb. Most years they flowered at different times with HE being early and PO late, but in really weird weather flowering times are strange, PO was early the last time. HE has stayed green in the snowcovered greenhouse all winter before, while the PO tends to die down completely, but since we hardly had a winter, all of them have at least some green sprouts.
I will definitely make an effort to straighten these out and save any seeds they make this summer.
Hardy Evergreen is available commercially, but no idea where the unnamed bulbing one came from, so I would like to not lose it.
Will let you all know if I get fresh seeds of those too.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

bower
Reactions:

Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:05 am

I'm wondering about my perennial patch of American Flag leeks as well. They were in flower with very few leaves at the time hurricane Larry cut them down. Those flower stalks were destroyed and the seeds were not ripe. I bagged them but I don't think I got any seed. Also I didn't see new shoots later in the fall. I've noticed before, that they only seem to start making 'pearls' after the flower stalks have been cut. IDK if it was too late for them to do that.
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:56 am

I just received and planted my Fedco order of Sicilian Honey Garlic.

It was quite the investment (in shipping and handling costs). The bulbs (10) were $5.50, s & h was $12.00. But, still not bad for a lifetime investment. I wonder how much seed they will produce.

bower
Reactions:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:46 pm

@Tormato I have about 20 g packet of seeds saved and cleaned for you, of the perennial flowering shallot. All types mixed together.

This thread has been dormant awhile! My American Flag didn't survive that hurricane after all. A lone surviving selection of Mammoth Leek has been sporting some pods for weeks? months? LOL they take forever. I should check.
I also have a few pods on the perennial green onions but they don't look ready last time I looked anyway.
temperate marine climate

Return to “Alliums”