EPSOM SALTS

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Nico
Reactions:

EPSOM SALTS

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi everyone
I had a problem of yellow leaves with my tomato plants and a good friend from the tville forum recommended me salts of epsom, for me it was something incredible that in two days the plants recovered their green color. I wanted to investigate more about empson salts and I have read in Spanish websites that say epsom salts are also useful to reduce the stress of definitive transplant. Anyone use it for transplantation? I copy and paste an article in Spain about epsom salts in the transplant.
Thank you.
Nico
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Nico
Reactions:

Re: EPSOM SALTS

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Epsom salt (hydrated magnesium sulfate) is recognized by many for its various home remedy applications, but that is not all there is to this wonderful mineral.

Unknown to many, Epsom salt has several advantages in gardening and organic gardening.

Its importance has been one of nature's best kept secrets and it has long been a favorite for many gardeners and horticulturists.

It helps to grow more, and that the vegetables are sweeter and tastier and pink with the color of the most vibrant flower.

Useful in seed germination.

It is also widely used in home remedies such as a saline laxative and analgesic.

Epsom salts work best in soils that are slightly deficient in magnesium or high in calcium and potassium (soils found in western countries).

Seed germination improves.

Epsom salt can be used in the planting stage to help seed germination.

It acts as an amendment to the soil before planting thereby giving your garden a strong boost from the beginning.

Apply 1 - 2 tablespoons to the soil hole per seed or use 1 cup of salt per 100 square feet of tilled soil to improve results.

Increase in nutrient absorption

The application of Epsom salt to the soil helps facilitate the absorption of nutrients from the organic soil and the faster absorption of nutrients for plants, reducing to a minimum level, and eliminating the need for chemical fertilizers.

Beautiful roses

Due to the abundance of magnesium it plays a very important role in the formation of the flower.

This important for gardeners, you will agree that the application of Epsom salt helps roses produce larger flowers and more in the flowers.

Epsom salt also increases chlorophyll production, that is, the fastest growth rate for roses.

Shock Transplant Counter

Epsom Salts can also play a vital role in plant nursery transplants in the field.

Epsom salt helps plants adapt to their new environment and also helps overcome injured roots, transplant shock.

Keep in mind that it is important that the roots of the plants do not come in contact with the salt, put a layer of salt around them ..

Green foliage

Magnesium plays an essential role in the production of foliage due to its chlorophyll production.

It is quite evident that plants that suffer from this deficiency can be identified by their yellowish leaves.

The application of Epsom salt around your plants helps make your foliage healthier.

Prevent the deformation of the leaves

Applying a mixture of 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a gallon of water and applied directly to the leaves will help prevent the deformation of the leaves caused by magnesium deficiency in plants.

Determine garden pests

While Epsom salt is not as effective against pests, as much as table salt (sodium chloride), it can help deter pests.

Epsom salt crystals are sharp and when splashed around plants, they can irritate the bodies and legs of unwanted pests in the same way as other preventive agents.

The fruit grows sweeter

It is a proven fact that the most important stage in the life cycle of any plant is the production of fruits just after the flowering stage.

Applying Epsom salt to the plant using the same methods and amounts indicated above will lead to improved chlorophyll levels that lead to an increase in energy that involves more sugar, which allows the plant to produce more fruit yields. sweeter and healthier.

Tomato flavor

In a recent experiment, it was observed that the application of Epsom salt to tomatoes really helped to balance magnesium deficiency clearly for most tomato growers.

It also leads to much tastier tomatoes

For tomatoes, the size ratio of the fruits of the tomato plant plant makes it susceptible to calcium deficiency (final rot flower) but the systematic application of Epsom salts to our tomatoes worked at perfection and the positive result they gave us was healthy, tastier tomato fruits ..

Our results revealed that tomatoes must have Epsom salt twice as much as other plants.

Application in tomatoes:
Epsom salt dissolved - 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, every 2 weeks is magic ..

The most efficient application method for delivering magnesium to these plants is through the foliage feeding method.

conclusion

It is quite evident that Epsom salt is an addition to any organic gardener and is almost impossible to stop using in
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:25 pm

I used to put a tb of epsom salt in the holes, when I planted tomatoes in the ground, but when the soil tested high for magnesium, I stopped. I also put some epsom salt in SIPs, as a "snack", like CaNO3, but less often. Neither time did I run a control group, to see if it was better with the salt added - I just figured it did. Maybe I'll do that this year - put 1 of 2 different varieties in SIPs next to each other, and leave the snacks out, to compare.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:35 pm

I added Epsom salts to the planting hole of one tomato plant and none to the plant beside it. I didn't see any difference and I also have plenty of magnesium already in my soil so I won't add it again.

Paulf
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Having heard all the positives of Epsom Salts I still recommend a professional soil test before just adding any chemical to the soil. My soil does not need magnesium or more salt. While I do add sulphur as directed by my soils lab, magnesium sulphate is not the proper form in my area especially for tomatoes. Lots of very good responses for the use of Epsom salts, just not for me.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:53 pm

My Dad used to put a ring of Epsom Salts around each tomato plant when he set them out. He said it was to keep cutworms out. Must have worked or else we didn't have cutworms to begin with as he never had a plant lost to them. But his plants grew huge every year so maybe the Epsom Salts did have other benefits. Our soil here is already high in Magnesium so I don't use them.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

bower
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

I've tried epsom salts for peppers in small pots indoors - they seemed to like it. Deficiencies do develop easily in a small pot. We don't use it otherwise because our native soil needs calcium as well, we apply dolomite lime for both calcium and magnesium. Same goes for my tomato containers in the greenhouse - the lime does both.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:01 pm

I use Epsom salts for all of my potted plants and it does help to keep them nice and green. I find that if I do not use it on potted plants they are on the yellow side and appear very anemic. I added Epsom salts to my lawn fertilizer last year boy it made a huge difference. I had the greenest lawn around and it lasted weeks.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:52 pm

I found Epsom salt to be helpful for heat-stressed muskmelons, watermelons, and alpine strawberries, in 2018, in my garden.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

SusieQ
Reactions:

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:14 am

I add Epsom salts every time I add nutrients in my hydro system

In the garden, once a year I give my tomatoes a sprinkled 'ring' around the plant to help with blossom end rot. Seems to help.

MayaAndTomatoes
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:30 pm

I had been using epsom Salts when replanting tomatoes into the garden for over 10 years. Couple
Of years I had not put a pinch into the hole, I found that it takes a lot longer for the plant to
Take off and it is not as green and happy

lee53011
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:13 pm

If you experience blossom end rot, the culprit could actually be too much magnesium, or epsom salt. The magnesium and calcium compete to be uptaken by the plant roots, so the magnesium can cause calcium not to absorbed. A soil test is really a necessity for accurate applications of fertilizers and minerals. Too much of something can be worse than not enough sometimes.

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:18 pm

I always use Epson salts on my pepper plants. I never have use it on tomato plants. The peppers always show an immediate leaf greening response. My tomatoes respond better to additional iron with 20% Ironite as needed.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:25 pm

i have epsom salts too, along with crushed eggshells and a plethora of other things...however it is only small amounts as it is too easy to see-saw. PH tho is something i will pay continuing attention too as well as making sure there is some good organics into the soil. If the worms are happy then i guess the less vocal plants will be too. Did i just suggest that worms are vocal ? Perhaps i mean they just vote with their feet...
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Yes worms do vote with their feet.
Totally understand..
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “General Discussion”