Direct sowing tomato seeds in the summer

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: Direct sowing tomato seeds in the summer

Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:25 am

I have planted 14 starts in the garden starting early July. I have room for 4 more. I prepared 2 summer beds. One has 4 lengths of dripline spaced about 6 inches (15 cm) apart. The other has 2 lengths of dripline. I am trying to promote root growth. Tomato roots can extend at least 24 inches (60 cm) laterally.

I wanted good roots in a start with a significant amount of soil which could hold a significant amount of water. I chose 5 in x 6 in (13 x 15 cm) deep pots. I used Kelloggs patio mix for a starting mix. I filled some pots with 4 inches (10 cm) of soil and some to the top. I formed a small well in the mix and placed a small amount of Mosser Lee seed starting mix (long fiber sphagnum moss) and placed a pre germinated seed in the moss. When the plants in the partially filled pots were large enough I formed a collar around the stem and filled it with the moss and filled the rest of the pot with the potting mix and then removed the collar.

I watered every day with dilute MG or dilute DynaGro Grow and added some silicon (DynaGro ProTekt). The plants got 12 hours of light per day, 4 hours of midday sun, the rest under grow lights.

The starts look good with nice stems. After about 6 to 8 weeks they are 12 to 16 inches (30-40 cm) tall. The roots look good, nothing approaching root bound.

I waited for temps to drop into the upper 80s (31C). I used a 5 inch (12 cm) auger to dig a hole 12 inches (30 cm) deep. Placed a little Espoma Garden Tone in the hole and blended it in with the auger. All of this while sitting in a chair. The soil was moist all the way down. We get no rain during the tomato season. I trimmed the lower leaves, grabbed the stem and lowered it into the hole. Then back filled and covered 4 inches (10 cm) of the stem. Then I placed 1/2 inch (1 cm) of Kelloggs Amend for a mulch.

So far the plants look good. There have been a couple days in the 90s (33C) and I haven't seen any signs of stress. Some of the plants had flowers when I placed them in the ground.
tomatostart.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm

Not sure how this one would work in the desert but for those in other area that want to try a direct seeded tomato it may be of interest
https://snakeriverseeds.com/collections ... rted-tiger

I stumbled across it while searching for seeds for Big Hill which is another Lofthouse variety.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Volvo
Reactions:

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:08 am

I planted late this year maybe a whole two months later than i normally do. Direct into the ground the seeds went and each and evreyone of them popped up and so far replanted into thier own spots..
So far so good though rather slow this year as EXTRA Cold conditions..

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:30 am

Jung seeds used to mention direct sowing in their catalogs for their Wayahead variety. Said that using this method we'd be surprised at how much faster the plants develop. I see they still sell it. Of course, I wouldn't want to do this for expensive hybrids.

https://www.jungseed.com/product/J00806/580

Return to “Seed Starting”