I thought it was spinach!!!

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

I thought it was spinach!!!

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, I have a funny story but it is also a tale of warning not to eat things you aren't positive what they are. Well, I was positive what I had but it turned out to be something different. The tale of two leaves.

I planted potatoes last November in one of my tall mineral tubs and since it takes so long to grow them I decided to plant some bloomsdale longstanding spinach to get a crop of something before the potatoes came up. I have only grown potatoes once before and it was last spring with a huge failure of everything I planted because of the heat wave and drought we had. So, I never really got to see what potato leaves looked like. I also planted the spinach I had never grown before either. I was so excited because it looked like the spinach was growing really well and I was counting down the days to harvesting for a fritatta.

The day comes and I decide to taste a leaf and after washing it I took a big leaf and began to chew. I spit it out so fast because it was extremely bitter, it did not taste good at all so I went inside and looked up bloomsdale longstanding spinach pictures and what I had was nothing like what it was supposed to be. So, I went trying to find the leaf I had and had zero success so I called the county master gardeners and sent them a picture of what I had in my containers. They called me back and asked, "how about potatoes?". I about fell out of my chair, lol. I am sure glad I spit it out, and that it was bitter because that might have been detrimental on my internal organs. So, never again will I eat something new that I think I planted without making sure it is exactly what I planted. So those spinach seeds never germinated for me, lol. I planted more to see if I could get some and I have now transplanted them into the reworked earth box containers so will see how much spinach I can get before it gets too hot out there.
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

MissS
Reactions:

Re: I thought it was spinach!!!

Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:39 pm

We all make mistakes. It's very funny and I'm glad that you're safe.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:53 pm

MissS wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:39 pm We all make mistakes. It's very funny and I'm glad that you're safe.
That we do. Some plant black tomatoes.

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Hahahaha, here they are, the beautiful leaves I was so excited about. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a good note, I dug down in those containers and I actually have some red and white potatoes, Yay!
Garden-2023-Potatoes I thought were spinach5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Margaret Atwood~

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:01 pm

I knew a guy that got as sick as a dog because his wife (miss picked) some poke salit.
Got some bad weeds in it too I suppose. :lol:
Or maybe she didn't know how to cook it.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Rockporter
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:25 pm

worth1 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:01 pm I knew a guy that got as sick as a dog because his wife (miss picked) some poke salit.
Got some bad weeds in it too I suppose. :lol:
Or maybe she didn't know how to cook it.
Hey Worth!!

Funny story but glad he recovered. :D
~Margaret Atwood~

Return to “Potatoes”