New Guinea Flatworms in North Carolina

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Re: The Garden of Woz...

Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:18 pm

In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:55 pm

OK, something's not right with these two photos. This one really does look like a FLAT worm. The other is round. Both sites list identical genus and species but I'm thinking this is the real one and the pic of that black round thing from the first reference is wrong. Even if they are both the same genus I'd bet my bottom dollar they can't be the same species. Waaaay too different in appearance.

Edit: Well, I may be in the poor house. I just went to Wikipedia and see photos of both types. The narrative about description keeps talking about being flat:
"Its body, however, is quite flat, being less than 2 millimetres (0.08 inches) in thickness. Both ends of the animal are pointed, but the head end is more pointed than the tail end.[5] Near the tip of the head end are two eyes.[6] It is dark brown on the upper surface, with a lighter central line. The underside is pale grey."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platydemus_manokwari

I still don't see how the round one flattens out like the other.

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:12 pm

LOL, I put that link on the wrong post but anyway, no the black one looks round in the picture but it is actually flat, and light grey on the bottom, it just looks sort of round when it is moving along the ground. It is the most disgusting looking thing I have ever seen, snails are nothing in comparison, it is awful, and the creepy crawlies invade ones body when you see it. UGH!

image.png
[/url]

Here is another type of flat worm that also decimates snails. Those were all over the place at an apartment complex I lived in during the late 90's and after a rain storm they would be all over the sidewalks. This was a nice complex with lots of great gardens and little creeks flowing through the landscape. When I saw them I was startled as well and I told the management there was something wrong with those worms and their answer was no they are just worms they are good for the soil. I knew there was something wrong with those things, I had never seen one before. This was in San Diego County, CA. Apparently these worms actually decimate earthworms.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/F0NZWy2Br3Q/maxresdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Margaret Atwood~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

New Guinea Flatworms in North Carolina

Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:22 pm

I'm putting this post in the Diseases, Pests and Cures section so we don't hijack Whwoz's glog! LOL!

OK, I just found an article from 2021 saying these beasties are in North Carolina. One was reported near Durham and the other on the coast in Wilmington.

https://www.wunc.org/environment/2021-0 ... h-carolina

Interesting that this author isn't at all intense about the parasite or toxin aspect.

Rockporter
Reactions:

Re: New Guinea Flatworms in North Carolina

Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:27 pm

Maybe move this to my original. I put it in general because I didn't see a place to put it, maybe someone can move it to the right place, lol. I don't know still learning this place and where things are. I definitely didn't mean to post in Whwoz's glog that is for sure.
~Margaret Atwood~

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:22 pm

Hope not to see those worms here.

Have just picked up parcel from mailbox with 4 different types of pepita pumpkin seed in it. Have grown Lady Godiva before, but not the others that are available. Tried some from commercial pepitas for eating but all roasted

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: New Guinea Flatworms in North Carolina

Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:45 pm

Haven’t seen them here yet. No doubt they’ll get here eventually.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”