Lots of Vidalia Varieties!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Lots of Vidalia Varieties!

Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 am

@Tormato and I were discussing Vidalia onions. Out of curiosity I went looking for the approximate digging date and while exploring a few rabbit holes I found this site about trials used to evaluate onions grown as Vidalias which are mostly yellow grano/granex types. Trials were conducted by the U. of GA.

https://site.extension.uga.edu/vidaliao ... ety-trial/

At the bottom of the page is a chart listing varieties in the very early, early, medium, medium late and late categories. I've never heard of them. If you click on the chart you'll go to the slide show that gives the production ratings and rankings of the various varieties. They even trialed a red one! Who knew.

Paulf
Reactions:

Re: Lots of Vidalia Varieties!

Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:05 am

Not being much of an onion eater or grower I have a question. Would a Vidalia onion grown in Nebraska taste the same as one grown in Georgia. Soil and climate differences tell me perhaps they would end up being very much different in flavor and maybe even size. Would each section of the country have its own special onion?

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:47 am

Paulf wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:05 am Not being much of an onion eater or grower I have a question. Would a Vidalia onion grown in Nebraska taste the same as one grown in Georgia. Soil and climate differences tell me perhaps they would end up being very much different in flavor and maybe even size. Would each section of the country have its own special onion?
My experience with those types of onions is that those that qualify as a Vidalia are nearly always very sweet. Those same types grown in other places are hit or miss for being sweet, let alone very sweet. Perhaps one could do research on amending the soil to maximize sweetness (if that's even possible). As a not very long storage onion, growing a lot for one's own use is not practical.

The largest flattest ones with the thickest rings always seemed to be the sweetest, to me. But, those likely have the thickest necks, which usually means the shortest storage ability. Can't win with Vidalias, other than greatly enjoying them for their fairly brief season.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 am

Paulf wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:05 am Not being much of an onion eater or grower I have a question. Would a Vidalia onion grown in Nebraska taste the same as one grown in Georgia. Soil and climate differences tell me perhaps they would end up being very much different in flavor and maybe even size. Would each section of the country have its own special onion?
Not being much of an onion eater?

Tell El Portal to get some Vidalias in a couple of months.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:21 pm

Vidalia onions are what they are and you can grow a sweet onion anywhere as long as the soil is correct and low in sulfur.
Think of them like you would a frankfurter that according German law can only be called that if made in a particular section of Frankfurt.
Or the dreaded Hatch chilies. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:04 pm

Probably but still different from each other. Vidalis in Georgia, Walla Walla in SE Washington, Maui onions in Hawaii, Texas 1015Y (TX Supersweet) all have their claims to fame.

Unlike frankfurters, you have to have the right soil and growing conditions to get these sweet onions... unless there's some claim in Frankfurt that it's their water or meat that makes their frankfurters special. :) I think there are some long term pizzerias in NYC that claim it's the NYC water that makes their pizzas so good. Then there's the gas fired-wood fired-coal fired oven controversy but I digress..... :lol:

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:15 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 am

How do you know that at El Portal is the only place onions are OK? They must have some special hold over me.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:31 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:04 pm
Probably but still different from each other. Vidalis in Georgia, Walla Walla in SE Washington, Maui onions in Hawaii, Texas 1015Y (TX Supersweet) all have their claims to fame.

Unlike frankfurters, you have to have the right soil and growing conditions to get these sweet onions... unless there's some claim in Frankfurt that it's their water or meat that makes their frankfurters special. :) I think there are some long term pizzerias in NYC that claim it's the NYC water that makes their pizzas so good. Then there's the gas fired-wood fired-coal fired oven controversy but I digress..... :lol:
It's ALWAYS...

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:07 pm

Paulf wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:15 pm
Tormato wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 am

How do you know that at El Portal is the only place onions are OK? They must have some special hold over me.
Meatloaf told me.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:19 am

Someone from Georgia living in Alaska told me someone in Alaska was growing Vidalia onions.
Then I had to tell the poor guy it wasn't a variety but a location that made the delightful things.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

edweather
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:37 am

Hey thanks for the link. I usually grow a few Granex yellows every year. The only onion I'll eat. Mine are getting ready to bulb.
20230225_081642.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southeast GA, USDA 9a, HZ9, Sunset Z28

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:19 am

We cook with onions a lot. I’m growing various onions currently. Sometimes, I’ll eat onions raw too. The Peruvian flat sweet onions seem fine. I like our Texas Sweet ones also. They all seem to have that basic onion flavor and bite with various amounts of sweet added in. Onions improve a lot of recipes. I can’t say I’ve ever done a side by side taste off with a vidalia, walla walla, 1015, or anything like that.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:48 am

edweather wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:37 am Hey thanks for the link. I usually grow a few Granex yellows every year. The only onion I'll eat. Mine are getting ready to bulb. 20230225_081642.jpg
The question weather, is whether you are growing Vidalia onions, or not. I haven't seen a detailed map, but they are grown in 13 counties, and another 7 partial counties, in southeast Georgia. That's unless they've let other counties in, recently.

edweather
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:12 pm

Yellow Granex are Vidalias. I know there is a big thing about it down here. Like, you can only sell them after a certain date, etc. All I know is that we buy bags of "Vidalia's" in season, and you can't tell the difference in look or taste from what we grow. So as far as we're concerned, it's the same onion, grown 2 hours away from Vidalia GA, and in different soil.
Southeast GA, USDA 9a, HZ9, Sunset Z28

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:26 pm

I received my email message from the Vidalia association, the week of April 24th is the shipping time. Woo Hoo!

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:16 am

Well, sweet onions came in locally sometime around a week ago, but not labeled Vidalia.

The source was Bland Farms, which is in Vidalia country. My guess is that they jumped the gun, knew they couldn't ship with the Vidalia label for many more days, so bagged them with a different label. Perhaps one of their fields was ready before the rest of Georgia? I just hope they weren't out to undercut the other growers, who waited to ship.

I look at it, same onion, different label, lower price ($2.99/3 pounds). Last year, real Vidalias went for $4.48/3 pounds.

Time for meatloaf.

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:21 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:16 am Well, sweet onions came in locally sometime around a week ago, but not labeled Vidalia.

The source was Bland Farms, which is in Vidalia country. My guess is that they jumped the gun, knew they couldn't ship with the Vidalia label for many more days, so bagged them with a different label. Perhaps one of their fields was ready before the rest of Georgia? I just hope they weren't out to undercut the other growers, who waited to ship.

I look at it, same onion, different label, lower price ($2.99/3 pounds). Last year, real Vidalias went for $4.48/3 pounds.

Time for meatloaf.
This is when it pays too recognize plants!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

MarkAndre
Reactions:

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:32 pm

I grew Granex in a SIP in North Texas. Can’t remember if any went in the ground.
Everything went in a pot for not-Vidalia onion relish, the key ingredient to my favorite hot dog, the Georgia Dog. I added sugar. No complaints here.
It is the weak who are the glory of the strong.

Upon being grilled over hot coals, Saint Lawrence is said to have declared, “Turn me over. I’m done on this side.”

Return to “Onions”