How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
clara
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:40 pm

In Germany, almost everybody was/is very much afraid of a big storm called Sabine (Ciara in the UK) due to the predictions. Our region here in the west was said to be seriously affected, starting Sunday afternoon till Monday at about noon. After some bad experiences during the last big storms, we wanted to be prepared in the best way possible. My son stored everything that could start to "fly" in the garages, our small summer house or in the shelter of the house. The bins were put behind a large, big bush and loaded with as much trash as possible (no more work for me next week, when they will be cleared, lol). And then we had to wait...

All schools in our region were closed this Monday, most trains in whole Germany stopped for fear of broken or fallen trees, no more flights within Germany, severe warnings NOT to enter any forest, but stay at home whenever possible (flying tiles, broken branches etc.). And then we had a rather quiet night, much less horrible than other nights! But it seems that only our region was spared, other regions were heavily damaged. A big tower crane crashed into the Frankfurt cathedral, many, many broken and/or fallen trees everywhere. On TV, I saw a video of trees in a forest falling down like matches. The fire-workers have a lot to do to at least clear the streets/roads. Fortunately no dead persons to mourn, but some people are hurt, a few seriously. For a couple in a small car, it was apparently the question of only ONE second to survive or not: A large oak tree fell on their car just on the back seats...

Actually the storm has moved towards the south where asmx is living. I am in contact with her; her property has some damage, but she is okay herself. I DO hope that she will have a quiet night, with no further damage. Please keep all your fingers crossed!!!
per aspera ad astra

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Oh my, I feel bad now whining about my cold rain! Sounds almost like a tornado or what is called straight line winds here. Very dangerous and damaging. Glad you are okay and will have high hopes for asmx too.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Clara, so glad you were spared the worst! I just googled the news and pics from Europe, wow. Very nasty. People don't realize how dangerous a tree can be in that kind of violent wind. We were lucky that the wind kept snow off the treetops, and the snow piled up on the frozen ground also keeps them much more stable than when it is thawed and raining.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

clara
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 pm

In the middle of Germany, there are mountains, called Harz, not even overly high, but well-known for extreme winds, and whenever strong winds are predicted, there are some idiots who drive there just to "experience" these winds. So did a few this time... and they were thrown to the ground as to be seen on TV. I DO hope that their health insurance will not pay in case they were hurt!
per aspera ad astra

bower
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:13 pm

There's a part of the island here too, known as Wreckhouse, where the geography causes the winds to be crazy high. Everyone who crosses on the Port aux Basques ferry drives through that deserted stretch of highway, and that means tractor trailers which are just a terrible design for severe wind. I've seen a lot of pictures of the big trucks tossed around on that road. But I've never heard of anyone going there for the experience! :lol:
temperate marine climate

JohnJones
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 pm

It

will

not

stop

raining...

And as I'm typing a tornado warning pops up. Mississippi can be all about the extremes that make up the average.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:52 am

Echoing what John just said... wet! However we've been fortunate that the heaviest stuff keeps passing just north of here. Still, we got 3" five days ago and more is coming. Gloomy and misty right now. I have had to delay pea planting.

JohnJones
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 am

:P
GoDawgs wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:52 am I have had to delay pea planting.
Wish I had. I've got plenty more, but the ones I put out a week ago are just floating bird snacks right now.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:40 pm

Perfect is what I would call the weather here.
My onions and garlic are loving it.
Cold wet rainy.
A little warm sun ever now and then.
Good soup weather too.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

clara
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Update: Sabine has left Germany, but her "kids" were still here today, mostly causing trouble in the south. And now we have the first real victim: A woman with a shopping trolley was blown from the sidewalk into the street and there run over by a car; she did not survive...

The schools in our region are open again, the traffic (trains and airplanes) almost back to normal, but in the south there are still a lot of broken/fallen trees to remove. Probably the next big storm will approach end of this week/next week - bad prospects...
per aspera ad astra

Nan6b
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 pm

You and all the affected folk will be in my thoughts & prayers.

bower
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am

Just in from shoveling... February continues as normal. A mere 20 cm here this week... but something horrendous just missed us! I read this article this morning. They are on watch for rogue waves in Ireland when this thing passes by. :shock:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... is-weekend
temperate marine climate

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:32 am

From the story at the bottom of Bower's link
Saturday, February 8th 2020, 10:50 am - Vancouver International has recorded some form of precipitation on 57 of the 61 days since December 10th, 2019.
What they don't mention are the winds driving that record rain. I don't mind rain but not when the wind is lashing it into your face bringing tears to the eyes. There have been many of those dark days this winter. Having some lights on to grow something helps!

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

It finally stopped raining here.
Sky clearing up.
Now we have cold nights to contend with for a few nights but not many.
Fingers crossed.
Worth

goodloe
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm

[mention]JohnJones[/mention] TOO WET!! A bit over 6" here since Monday; >30" since Dec 1st....ARGHHH!!!
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Seymour Island, Antarctica, had a high of 69 F today. Might have to go visit; warmer than here by a mile.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:27 am

Another inch of rain yesterday and the 8am temp went from yesterday's 65 to today's 45. More seasonable. My computer calendar just reminded me to start prepping more beds today. Well, that won't happen until they dry out... whenever that will happen!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:49 am

Copped a good storm yesterday, 2.5 inches in a little bit over an hour. Spoke with a gent while down at the Garlic Festival today who lives 10 km away, he had 5.6 inches in his gauge this morning

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 am

One reason I like this time of year is my utility bill is very low.
I cant sleep in hot weather but I can pile blankets on to keep warm.
I have a refrigerator and freezer in the garage that hardly comes on when it is cold.
And I can leave kettles and such in the garage over night if they are warm to cool off.
It is a win win situation for me.
When I lived in West Texas with another guy and it was cold we kept the beer and food on the back porch.
Visitors would get up go to the refrigerator and sit back down again.
We would go there and come back with a new beer.
Where in hell are you guys getting the beer from I cant find it, one would exclaim.
The back porch.
The back porch???
Yeah the back porch, it is 33 degrees outside there are two cases of beer on the back porch. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:35 am

I also have an unheated porch where I store food especially vegs and fruits to keep cool. And beer is usually found there, if I have any. :) It's on the north side of the house and there is a root cellar underneath it, enter by a hatch in the floor. My chest freezer is there too. The porch is perfect for cold storage except at extremes. When it drops into minus teens outside, it can freeze my veggies solid in the porch. Last night with windchills down to -30, I had to bring my vegetables into the kitchen.
temperate marine climate

Return to “General Discussion”