potted fig when is it going to fruit?

rxkeith
Reactions:

potted fig when is it going to fruit?

Thu May 11, 2023 10:36 am

i used to grow figs when i lived in detroit. uncle steve showed me how to take care of them.
i buried them during the winter, dug them up in the spring. we ate lots of figs.
several years ago, maybe five or six. i saw a couple chicago figs at a nearby green house, small little
things. out of nostalgia, i bought one. now, it is a multi stemmed small tree. i have it in a large at least
ten gallon pot that i bring in during the winter, and store down stairs, hauling it out each spring.
i don't remember it taking this long for a fig to start producing fruit. each year i think this is the year.
what do i gotta do to get this fig tree to start producing?

keith

worth1
Reactions:

Re: potted fig when is it going to fruit?

Thu May 11, 2023 11:05 am

rxkeith wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:36 am i used to grow figs when i lived in detroit. uncle steve showed me how to take care of them.
i buried them during the winter, dug them up in the spring. we ate lots of figs.
several years ago, maybe five or six. i saw a couple chicago figs at a nearby green house, small little
things. out of nostalgia, i bought one. now, it is a multi stemmed small tree. i have it in a large at least
ten gallon pot that i bring in during the winter, and store down stairs, hauling it out each spring.
i don't remember it taking this long for a fig to start producing fruit. each year i think this is the year.
what do i gotta do to get this fig tree to start producing?

keith
Probably wait.
It's been unseasonably cold this year hasn't it?
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Thu May 11, 2023 12:38 pm

what i mean is, so far, this tree has not produced a single fruit in its existence.
i am just wondering when is it going to? each year it puts on growth, but no sign of figs.
my in ground figs just did not seem to take that long to produce. maybe they did. i always had
several trees of different ages at the same time growing. the tree gets lightly fertilized each year.
nothing excessive. may be it just takes longer up here for them to produce. the variety i grew might
have been brown turkey fig. they were brown when ripe at any rate. fresh figs, just soft with
that drop of nectar on the end are the best. i miss them.

keith

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 11, 2023 5:27 pm

What temperatures are you keeping them at overwinter currently in comparison to days of old. I can't recall what chill time figs need

worth1
Reactions:

Thu May 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Whwoz wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:27 pm What temperatures are you keeping them at overwinter currently in comparison to days of old. I can't recall what chill time figs need
I never knew they needed a chill time.
I saw them all over southern Italy.
No idea what kind they were.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 11, 2023 9:28 pm

worth1 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:38 pm
Whwoz wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:27 pm What temperatures are you keeping them at overwinter currently in comparison to days of old. I can't recall what chill time figs need
I never knew they needed a chill time.
I saw them all over southern Italy.
No idea what kind they were.
I am not exactly sure that they do either, looking around on the web indicates that around 100 hrs is often quoted for figs, although there appears to be some varietal variation. It is an obvious place to start with deciduous fruit trees not fruiting. It may be that the variety may have a higher chill temperature, that's is it might need time under 55F than the standard 45F that chill time normally refers to and the enclosed space may not be getting cold enough. Not sure, simply one thought.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Thu May 11, 2023 10:05 pm

basement where it is kept during the winter is unheated. it can get into the 40s during the dead of winter.
the plant sure looks dormant until april when it starts to bud out. it has small leaves on it by the time it
goes outside in may. my guess is it has plenty of chill time.

keith

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Fri May 12, 2023 4:45 pm

How much sunlight does it get? Figs need at least 6 hours of strong sunlight and more is better. They will only set fruit in a very sunny location.

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”