Banner takes up the whole screen

Shule
Reactions:

Banner takes up the whole screen

Fri May 12, 2023 10:06 pm

I've noticed that the banner's taking up the whole screen, so I have to scroll down a lot to find the rest of the site. I'm guessing it's different on different people's devices, but one thing I might suggest is making the image itself so it has a maximum height dimension less than the current one without changing the width. Vertical screen space is precious; so, that's why I make this suggestion.

Here's a screenshot of my entire screen on a desktop computer (in fullscreen mode) that shows what I see when I come to TJ, now (with all my toolbars out of the way: i.e. the title bar, the menu bar, the tab bar, the address/search bar, and my bookmarks toolbar; if I had a taskbar that didn't autohide, that would also take more space):
Screenshot from 2023-05-12 21-00-33.png
If it's not in fullscreen mode (usually, it's not), you can't see the links to read posts and stuff.

I have a 19" screen with 1600x900 (16:9) resolution. I'm using Firefox 112.02, using Xubuntu 22.04.1 LTS with the Cinnamon desktop.

Normally, the banner is pretty big, but not as big as it is today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Banner takes up the whole screen

Fri May 12, 2023 11:07 pm

@Shule It's happened to a few of us, myself included. It will correct itself in a day or so.
~ Patti ~

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat May 13, 2023 2:09 am

Shule wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:06 pm Here's a screenshot of my entire screen on a desktop computer (in fullscreen mode)
I see more but not a lot more. I am using 2560x1440. This is the way it always looks to me.
TJbanner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat May 13, 2023 6:40 pm

Oh full screen, I didn't catch that the last time that I looked. Maybe change the size of your resolution.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Fri May 19, 2023 7:13 am

While I'm not withdrawing my suggestion by saying this, I've found that the banner is much less of a problem to have to scroll past if I switch my scrollbars to be on the left side of my window instead of the right. The same is true for a lot of other websites.

My mouse pointer is usually hovering somewhere on the left side of the screen, so I don't have to move the mouse as much, nor change focus as much, to scroll the window with the scrollbar on the left. (Plus, it's less problematic when websites have their own scrollbars on top of the built-in ones.)

If you move the scrollbar to the left of the window and you also use a sidebar, I recommend moving the sidebar to the right side of the window.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri May 19, 2023 6:27 pm

@Shule What browser are you using? I have no idea how one moves the scroll bar. However I rarely use it. I use the scroll wheel on the mouse and have adjusted its sensitivity so a small turn of the wheel results in a fast scroll. Or I use page up, page down, home and end from the keyboard.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat May 20, 2023 7:13 pm

zeuspaul wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:27 pm @Shule What browser are you using? I have no idea how one moves the scroll bar. However I rarely use it. I use the scroll wheel on the mouse and have adjusted its sensitivity so a small turn of the wheel results in a fast scroll. Or I use page up, page down, home and end from the keyboard.
Just answering your questions (not trying to prolong the point):

Firefox version 112.02. To switch the side the scrollbars are on, type about:config in your location bar, and press enter; in the page that appears type or find layout.scrollbar.side. Change its value to 3. Restart your browser. To move the sidebar to the right side, make sure the sidebar is open, go to the dropdown arrow by where it says Bookmarks or whatever, at the top of the sidebar. Click. Select Move sidebar to right.

I use a nice Logitech trackball mouse that doesn't have a mouse wheel (and although lacking a mouse wheel is inconvenient, having a nice trackball mouse is more convenient for me than having a regular mouse with a mouse wheel; trust me on that).

Return to “Suggestions/Complaints/Report Problems”