Fave Sweet Orange Bell Pepper?

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Fave Sweet Orange Bell Pepper?

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Looking for suggestions for an orange bell pepper with great taste. I was surprised to see only one variety, Orange Sun, in my seed stash. Only 4 seeds in a package several years old, and it isn't listed on the Burpee website anymore. I have Lipstick, Yummy, etc., but want that bell for whatever. A supermarket saved seed was horrid when I tried it years back. Any pluses or minuses on regular sized orange bells you have trialed? Looking on High Mowing and Rare Seeds since I've already placed an order and don't wish to incur shipping fees for one packet, but open to all if needed.

SusieQ
Reactions:

Re: Fave Sweet Orange Bell Pepper?

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Gourmet is a good one for us.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Well, there's always White Cloud. I know it's white, but it technically ripens orange(-ish), or at least my version of it from Baker Creek did (I see a picture of a more red-ripening version out there). The one I've grown had great taste.

I've been wondering what Orange California Wonder is like.

Etiude is one that looks promising. Never tried it, though, but I've been wanting to for years.

Flavorburst F1 is supposed to taste excellent.

I've heard great things about Orange Bell, too (before it was at Baker Creek). I've been wanting to try it for years, too. It's hard to say whether there are multiple breeds going by this name.

It's my observation that orange bell peppers in general get high marks. I'd love to hear others comment on that.

Orange Sun gets good reviews, too.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Lonejack
Reactions:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 am

I will second Gourmet F1 - but I only see it offered by Johnny's, Totally Tomatoes, and Reimer seeds (no telling if you will actually get Gourmet F1 from them IME).

Flavorburst F1 is also very good and productive for me but it's a yellow bell not orange.

I got a free packet of 'Orange Bell' (Baker Creek) when I ordered some AG19 from Dripworks a few years back but I never grew it out because I didn't see a need to replace Gourmet.
Kansas City, zone 6a

Bronx
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:12 am

I grew Orange Blaze last year. The ones in my Earthbox stayed small, but one plant in a regular 10 gallon container shared with a dwarf tomato grew almost normal size fruit, 4" x 2 1/2" or so. Go figure.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 am

greenthumbomaha wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 pm Looking for suggestions for an orange bell pepper with great taste. I was surprised to see only one variety, Orange Sun, in my seed stash. Only 4 seeds in a package several years old, and it isn't listed on the Burpee website anymore. I have Lipstick, Yummy, etc., but want that bell for whatever. A supermarket saved seed was horrid when I tried it years back. Any pluses or minuses on regular sized orange bells you have trialed? Looking on High Mowing and Rare Seeds since I've already placed an order and don't wish to incur shipping fees for one packet, but open to all if needed.
Botanical Interests carries Orange Sun bell pepper.
https://www.botanicalinterests.com/prod ... eet-Pepper

If that's what you're looking for I can send some of my seeds to you. I have a pack dated 2020.
PM me if it's the one you're looking for and want some seeds.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:49 pm

I'm planning to some orange bell peppers next year. So, if you remind me next year, I might be able to evaluate the flavor of these for you:

* Orange Sun
* Horizon
* An orange version of Golden California Wonder

If I can gets my hands on more orange sweet peppers, I'll probably grow those next year, too.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:15 am

I have Coral Bell. Pm me.
- Marsha

Return to “Sweet Peppers”