duds so far this season

Everything About Tomatoes
JosephineRose
Reactions:

Re: duds so far this season

Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:14 pm

Those of you who were let down by Ananas Noire - that was my experience two years ago.

May I ask what your seed source was?

I have a working theory that seed source may make the difference, as my friend grew it the year after me in cooler, grayer conditions closer to the Oregon border and had better results. She had a different seed source...
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

MOinMichigan
Reactions:

Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:19 pm

Cranraspberry wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:52 am Jaune Flammee. I had really high hopes, but it’s just non stop BER and now the plant is turning yellow and looks sick and miserable. I think I’m going to yank it.
I tried Jaune Flamme for years and had the same problem. Occasionally I could grab one little fruit that didn't suffer with BER and they were tasty, but not worth the trouble. No matter what I did, no matter the location, BER ever year.

Mortgage lifter has been a total dud for me this year. No ripe fruit yet and only three green ones on the plant at the moment.
MO
West Michigan, USA - Zone 5b/6a
Loamy soil in raised beds on top of clay

eyolf
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:43 pm

Nothing was a complete failure this season, and some were standouts.

It's been a drouth year; hot, too. I can water, so that isn't a serious issue. But weather certainly can have an effect.

Because Mama and I like home canned tomatoes I grow several plants that are old favorites for that usage: This year it was Wisconsin 55, Pollock (a Canadian selection from Bonny Best/John Baer) Bonny Best, and Marglobe, as well as a few paste-types.

Wisconsin 55 was dissapointment: normally superior to BB and Pollock, Both embarrassed it badly. Marglobe was "Meh" as well.

One of the paste types was dissapointment, too. San Marzano, probably originating in a hot climate, pumped out tons and continues to.

The most dissapointment, however, was an antho: Rebel Starfighter Prime. 3 small tomatoes on a modest vine that succumbed to Septoria rather early. And the birds, squirrels and chipmunks didn't like it.

In a dry year the critters attack looking for moisture. While I put out water and replenish daily, they still go after the tomatoes

indysun
Reactions:

Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:28 am

"I still have to figure that one out, I'll know more by the end of the season. All I know right now is that my neighbor who has all her tomatoes inground has flowers busting out everywhere! She's new to gardening so I helped her out planting and giving tips and advise. My tomatoes in growbags were late to to flower, I hope to get at least a few.

I did advise my neighbor to protect against cutworms she never heard of such a thing, she said! I told her, yes, such things exist and you need to put toothpicks on each side of the plants to prevent them from being destroyed. That seems like a lot of time and trouble, she said rolling her eyes... She had planted 3 pumpkins for her granddaughters and when she went to show me how great they were coming along 2 were disconnected from their roots. What's this, she shouted! :cry: I said those are the cutworms you never heard of. :|"

Wonder where this OsioOsio lives? I never have cut worms after those in the seedlings? I do spray w/Thuricide around late July here in Indiana

indysun
Reactions:

Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:35 am

JR, i'm with you! Got no idea other than possible bad /contaminated soil for seeds - some transplants never outgrew leaf curl etc - next year totally sterilized containers and organic soil to start seeds!!
Had some plants one tomato etc, just a funny/disapointing year. Weird?
Who knows, i'm not a pro .............................

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:15 pm

The early boy that I did a dramatic pruning on has green tomatoes,so I will be able to squeeze a second crop out of it.
Plant is outdoors still in original 2gal container.
I took cuttings from the heinz 1350 to attempt cloning today.
Those are under led light.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

slugworth
Reactions:

Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:33 pm

slugworth wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:15 pm I took cuttings from the heinz 1350 to attempt cloning today.
Those are under led light.
after 2.5 weeks I put the clones in a better drainage container under LED light.
2 out of 3 cuttings survived. :D
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Return to “Tomato Talk”