tomato taste off

Everything About Tomatoes
Yak54
Reactions:

Re: tomato taste off

Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:35 pm

Of course I'm teasing you JR ! You have a gift in doing these "Taste Off's and I'm certainly enjoying your style and sarcastic humor.
Well done !
Dan

Yak54
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Here are a few more for your taste off /Users/Dan/Downloads/IMG_0180 Large.jpeg
/Users/Dan/Downloads/IMG_0181 Large.jpeg
/Users/Dan/Downloads/IMG_0183 Large.jpeg
/Users/Dan/Downloads/IMG_0186 Large.jpeg
Dan

Yak54
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:39 pm

IMG_0180 Large.jpeg
IMG_0181 Large.jpeg
IMG_0183 Large.jpeg
IMG_0186 Large.jpeg
These are illegal entries ! 2 AGP and 2 Polish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:56 pm

I said -ish

Yak54
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:59 pm

:lol:

I'm having a BLT
IMG_0188 Large.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

Yak54
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:03 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:56 pmI said -ish
:lol: :lol:
Dan

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:03 pm

25.jpg
Okay. Picture the tray above with the Stump toward the middle of the kitchen table. That left two AGP and three EML toward the edge. Yesterday I carried in two more that I picked in the dark and used them right away, saving those others to test.

Apparently the dogs, that have not been getting taken along to the garden of late, decided to do their own testing. Might have been as early as yesterday afternoon, or an hour ago. I had taken to putting bread in a cardboard box to deal with this issue, and it has gotten much worse this summer, but I was not expecting to have to hide tomatoes.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:32 am

LOL! And which of them did they like the best?
~ Patti ~

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:02 pm

I don't want to judge the "evidence" too closely. I'll only say it was a couple days since redbeets so I was initially rather worried. They normally browse the cherry tomatoes and I've been giving them discards from the cutting board, but one or both helped themselves to a little much.
busted.jpg

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:59 pm

Three way matinee:
EML vs GGWT vs AGP (left trio)
01.JPG
02.JPG
EMT has the deep woody shoulder cracks that says, too much sun, too long on the vine. That EML is still a first truss tomato...in the end of August...that just should not happen. AGP and GGWT are higher/later trusses and have slight fissures that say "too much water". They were all pretty solid feeling, no watery mush, and made nice big slices.
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
16.JPG
Unfortunately, lot of watery taste in these three. These did not get saved from that last rain, and it shows. I got through them, and I thought EML had a lemony kick to it, just not sweet enough and watery aftertaste. The AGP was about the same, a little less lemony. GirlGirl's weird thing had the most taste, it is a little different than the pinks. Every GGWT just doesn't seem to taste right to me. Been four or five now. I ate around in a circle like 6 times and I just couldn't come up with a great taste or description for any of these.

Lesson to be learned? If a hard rain is coming, pick them even if they are just a few days into blush. I've been trying to let them ripen on the vine so as not to have too many in the house at once. I'm just don't approve of counter fitting tomatoes. ... ... ... :roll:

Bonus round - I took the best looking cuostralee and cut that up as well. It definitely had more tomato taste but just too much water there as well. The sweet was washed out. After the first few bites I was ready to declare it "much better" than the other three, but as I finished it off, the two big slices just tasted more and more watery and I had downgrade it to "marginally better".
19.JPG
20.JPG
Afterwards I sliced off small pieces of the scraps, and just couldn't get much taste out of them. Rather disappointing.
Now, they vines are getting pretty shot, it is rolling toward September and we had a couple nights in the 50s last week. Those three factors certainly don't help make great tomatoes. But I think the rain is more important than those three combined.

Yak54
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:08 pm

JR- - - -Thank you for your tomato taste off thread. It is well done with good pics. Very good Sir !!! I enjoyed it very much.
Dan

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:53 pm

The last two trays I've brought in have AGP and EML rotting on the table before getting used. They just don't seem to be doing particularly well. They set fruit with good size but most of it just isn't that good tasting. The mountaineer delight are holding well on the vine, and most of them I have given away for sauce making. And amish paste as well. The cherokee purple taste okay, just not getting that big and have a lot of abnormal shape. This was back to trade seed packet, the CP seeds. I thought maybe my saved seeds had changed over the years, because the last couple years I grew them, they didn't seem great. Well, these are about the same level of "not great". Perhaps they don't like to be pruned. I gave some plants away to other comm gardeners that let them sprawl, and there were some impressive sized tomatoes on those plants, but I'm afraid many of them went to rot on the ground.

I am fairly impressed with Black From Tula. It has been the best black I've grown in a long time.
GGWT is just not for me, I've tried about 7 ripe ones and I just don't care for them.
Ros Krupne is a pretty nice pink.
Stump has been really good tasting.
SOO has been very typical, big fruit and sweet and some people like it the best of all the tomatoes. Production is huge, then pauses a bit and comes back huge.
Cuostralee has been a dependable producer and my favorite tasting, and rarely tastes off at all. I really think I can judge ripeness better on them. I chomped through two tonight after an overripe stump that was still pretty good, and just Yuck looking at some rotting pinks. Finished with a cute little perfect looking black from tula that was really good too.

Next year I think I go back to one of each color. A ratio of 4221 for Red Yellow Pink Black would work well for me. Really tough to decide between those two pinks. I only had one plant of Roz Krupne and 7 or so stumps so it is hard to compare production. And I'd rather refer to it as Rozny Krazny which would surely offend some tomato heads here, and one in particular up there in heaven. Oh, she would hate it. She corrected me once when I wrote "Eva's Purple Ball" instead of "Eva Purple Ball".

edit If I grow some for sauce next year, Amish paste and mountaineer delight might have places. They stay ripe on the vine without rotting, something that costoluto genovese has never done for me.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:44 am

Despite fierce competition from every direction, it's looking like the Mountain Magic will win the Gotchberg Gardens Tastiest Tomato contest for the 5th straight year!

NOTE: While the lovely and long suffering Mrs. Gotch is instrumental in the judging, her Catch All/End All-Everything Factored In FAVE is still the Ananas Noire; just opened the last one last night.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Rosovye Krupnye vs Rosovye Krupnye

Getting nippy out there, but I picked a couple by flashlight tonight, both from the same plant. Perfect looking except for the splits. The one on the left went first, and was firm and beautiful color and tasted about perfect. The one on the right made had greener shoulders and made it onto bread slice #4. The flesh is paler with white streaking, and slightly less firm feel. Tasted about the same, not quite as sweet. Both very good for mid September and the nights in the 50s we've been having.
02.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
Prior to tonight, the past two weeks has been sort of disappointing. I've been trying to give those EMLs and AGPs a fair shake but alot of them are showing bottom yuck. I guess it would be called BER. Cutting that off, there is some tomato there, but it just isn't great. The ones that aren't visibly off just don't taste that good. Cherokee Purple, I see a lot of them rotting on the vine as well and they don't look ready. Mixed in with those are Mountain Magic and Amish Paste, which seem to fine holding up fine. Next in the row is GGWT (I didn't notice any) and then Rosovye Krupnye and Black From Tula. The two russian tomatoes are both still producing nice tomatoes.
On the other side is Stump, and I'm still picking these and they taste good. Sweet ozark orange - still picking, taste good. Then Cuostralee, still picking, still taste good.

I think EML might be too long a DTM for my growing style, Cherokee Purple, I'm done with it this was the fifth year I think and was original seed source, AGP seemed real inconsistent and this is at least the third year for that. GGWT, well I'm glad I finally get them germinated and planted, but it is not for me. Ros and Black From Tula though, they are keepers.

There are still a bunch on the trellis so I guess I could be persuaded differently by a late push. I gave CP plants to some other comm gardeners and when sprawling they did okay, though a good bit of them rotted from not being checked. But at least they were nice big tomatoes that looked ripe. The CP plants that survived for me, never threw any nice big fruit and they never look ripe enough to pick. The best of them was OK.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:27 am

Yak54 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:59 pm:lol: I'm having a BLT
You's gonna bring the B-n-L in with a front-end loader...?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Yak54
Reactions:

Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:03 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:27 am
Yak54 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:59 pm:lol: I'm having a BLT
You's gonna bring the B-n-L in with a front-end loader...?

The Gotch
I may have to rent one ! :lol:
Dan

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:53 am

Tomato Taste-Off/77 Square Miles Surrounded By A Sea Of Reality version.

FEATURED: Amish Paste, Greenbush Italian, Guido, Italian Gold, KY Beefsteak, Lemon Boy, Mountain Magic, Old German, Opalka, Pink Magic, and Sheboygan.

Why so few...NOT any Uncle Steve's Italian, Cornue de Andes, Santa Maria, Mushroom Basket, Radiator Charlie Mortgage Lifter, Mountain Merit, Pink Gift, Pink Giant, etc.? Not enough room!

Seven voters, two (2) points for Best, one (1) for 2nd.

The winner...Pink Magic with seven (7) points. Greenbush Italian, Lemon Boy, and Mountain Magic all tied for 2nd with four (4) points apiece.
thumbnail_IMG_2313.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2314.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2315.jpg
The Gotch

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:03 pm

What is the plate order, can't read them from here.

Opalka, haven't heard that name in a while. I was always seeing that on tville, 10 years back I guess.

I wish I had known about this 4 day of rain. I knew about it Friday, but too late to get everything in and get the problem yard area overseeded. But I think the tomatoes left out there are going to be terribly overwatered. Taste off is probably done, here.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:10 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:03 pmWhat is the plate order, can't read them from here.
3rd Image, from top: Lemon Boy, Pink Magic, Guido, Amish Paste, Italian Gold, Greenbush Italian, Old German, Sheboygan, KY Beefsteak, Mountain Magic, upper right plate Opalka.

The Gotch

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:04 pm

Three more cuostralees, still keeping healthy enough fruit and good tasting. I kept seeds from these...usually I keep first truss seeds, but these are still good tomatoes when most are getting ugly.
02.JPG
03.JPG
Amish paste was good the other day too, took some to a dinner party.

Return to “Tomato Talk”