Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
worth1
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:54 am

I managed to get another quart of stew but with gravy to put in the freezer.
I pulled the solids aside in the kettle and pulled off the oil on the liquid side.
Then mixed it back up again.
I'm actually sick of looking at tasting and smelling pork stew.
Just froze the last of it for a total of 5 quarts.
I'm gonna fry fish. :lol:
20210207_113104.jpg
20210207_113206.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:21 pm

First boil of the year yesterday, small crawfish but it's that time of year. Today I made a smoked sausage, chicken and pork ribs jambalaya. Pork ribs is an old school thing, we have the butcher cut a slab of ribs about 1.5" across the bones then cut them apart. It makes an awsome gravy.

image.png
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:12 pm

Rajun that reminds me of the movie Southern Comfort.
Now all we need is some zydeco.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:39 pm

Tomorrows lunch.
Double Decker fried fish sandwich with my latest sweet pepper sauce mixed with mayonnaise dill relish and a dash of habanero sauce.
Why is it that every weekend I seem to make yet another chili sauce? :?
20210207_195256.jpg
20210207_195404.jpg
Worth

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Today made Yankee chili with ground turkey, black & kidney beans, home-grown tomato sauce, multi-spice chili seasoning, a little Tony Cachere's, a bit of Montreal Steak, & onions. We ate it with 'hint of lime' tortilla chips.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:11 am

Did a steak test on the Lodge griddle skillet.
No sticking at all.
Also seared the oiled baked potato on it too.
20210210_185013.jpg
20210210_185159.jpg
20210210_190754.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:12 pm

I have 2 pounds 11 ounce of USDA PRIME chuck roast i got pretty cheap I'm going to hand chop and make chili out of it.
It needs to thaw out a little first.
This one will definitely be different.
Worth

rxkeith
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:28 pm

i cooked a chuck roast in the crock pot, seasoned with a little salt, pepper, and chopped onion.
also baked a fairly large mountaineer hubbard squash in the oven. i also boiled a couple large links
of italian sausage per cooking instructions. the sausage was an impulse buy. each link is close to a pound
in weight. bread is about to go in the oven. i have put my wife in charge of brussels sprouts. once the bread
comes out of the oven, i am done. we should be all set for the weekend.

keith

rhines81
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 pm

Rajun Gardener wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:21 pm First boil of the year yesterday, small crawfish but it's that time of year. Today I made a smoked sausage, chicken and pork ribs jambalaya. Pork ribs is an old school thing, we have the butcher cut a slab of ribs about 1.5" across the bones then cut them apart. It makes an awsome gravy.

image.png
image.png
Looks great and reminds me of home... I am really looking for a great Boudin recipe that I can cook next week. My last attempt hit the trash can before I even stuffed it in casings, came out extremely salty and couldn't even give it to the dog.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 pm

I knew I'd have a craving for Thai curry, after talking about it on another forum, so I got my oldest chicken and a pound of Thai beans from the freezer last night, along with my last cup of red curry paste, and thawed them in the fridge overnight. And I had all that butternut squash I had to use up (I had to cut a bad part out of one, and it was too much for this!), plus some mushrooms I had to use. Thai curry is something that I can put just about anything in, and it's still delicious!

This one has about 24 oz chicken, 22 oz of cut up butternut, 2 onions, cut into large chunks (something I put in most of these curries, for the sweetness), 16 oz frozen Thai red long beans, about 12 oz creminis, cleaned, quartered, and pre-cooked, plus the standard Thai curry ingredients. This was a lot - 40 oz of coconut milk, though 8 oz is cooked down, for that initial frying of the paste in the coconut oil.
ImageLime leaves, fish sauce, palm sugar, Hanoi Market chiles, and red curry paste, for Thai curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThai long red beans, butternut, and onion chunks, for Thai curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA cup of the coconut cream, cooked down to separate, and caramelize some. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA cup of red curry paste, cooked in the coconut oil for 4-5 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageChicken and everything except the butternut, cooking 10 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished Thai curry, after cooking the last 15 minutes with the butternut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThai curry, served around a mound of jasmine rice, mixed with millet. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That jasmine rice and millet mix is what I've been doing since trying to reduce that jasmine rice in my diet. I tried a number of grains; however, all but the millet drowned out the aroma of the jasmine rice. I soak the millet first for 25-30 minutes, then add the jasmine rice, and cook in the IP in rice mode - 12 minutes on low pressure. This is sort of brownish, only because I de-glazed the pan I pre-cooked the mushrooms in, and used that for some of the water.
ImageJasmine rice and millet, 1:2, steamed together in IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:49 pm

Flat Market Trimmed Brisket 1.86 lb. My wife brought that home for me to cook in our rectangular slow cooker. Hmm, well I've never cooked a brisket in a slow cooker other than brisket strips that I cut into stew meat. I could cut it up and do that or barbeque it whole? Any ideas?

We want to cook it inside because we're going through a cold spell, and if the weather forecasters are right - the coldest weather since the 1990s is on the way with lots of snow. We cooked turkey and dressing yesterday and that flat end brisket is next. I'm open to any ideas, and the longer it cooks the better.
Texas Zone 8A

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:56 am

AlittleSalt wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:49 pm Flat Market Trimmed Brisket 1.86 lb. My wife brought that home for me to cook in our rectangular slow cooker. Hmm, well I've never cooked a brisket in a slow cooker other than brisket strips that I cut into stew meat. I could cut it up and do that or barbeque it whole? Any ideas?

We want to cook it inside because we're going through a cold spell, and if the weather forecasters are right - the coldest weather since the 1990s is on the way with lots of snow. We cooked turkey and dressing yesterday and that flat end brisket is next. I'm open to any ideas, and the longer it cooks the better.
Salt I cooked a whole brisket in the oven at 250F for hours.
I cut the point from the flat and rolled and tied it up.
Let it cook till an internal temperature of 200 or so.
Just cook it like you would any roast but low and slow.
It's a Jewish tradition to cook brisket like this.
Literally melts in your mouth.
Worth

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Three bean chilli tonight, not three beans but single bean chilli, one with quorn, one with no chilli and one for TOH and me with lots of chilli. Let's hope they don't ask for the pudding menu and cheese and fruit board, they'll be disappointed. Chef! Service at table four!
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Bought some Walkers Kentucky Fried Chicken crisps tonight. They are always bringing out novelty flavours. They did a Brussels sprout flavour once but it didn't taste of sprouts and once a hedgehog flavour (can't comment as never eaten hedgehog). Open a packet and disappointed, it never had a little bag of lemon fresh finger wipes :-(

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Excellent video Worth.

We've narrowed our choices down something like the video or chili. The flat is 1.5" thick which is what made me think of stew or chili. Stew is out because Jan doesn't want it.
Texas Zone 8A

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:41 am

Besides more of that Thai curry that I made yesterday, today I treated myself by making these Salted Butter and Chocolate Chunk Shortbread - They are fantastic! And what smells better than CC cookies, of any type?
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/salte ... shortbread

I changed the method to the way I have made countless types of shortbread - in the food processor! I just put dry ing. in the bowl, pulse a few times to mix, then add the butter, cut up some, and process until it starts to come together. then, in a recipe like this one, or one with nuts, they get worked in my hand, and in this one, it is formed into a log, and chilled. The chocolate chunks were a little hard to cut through - a thin knife I often use for slice and bake cookies didn't cut through them well, so I got a saw-toothed bladed paring knife, which cut through them fairly well. When it seemed that it was pushing a chunk out of the way, instead of cutting it, I just started sawing it, and it went through well.

As with all similar cookies, they are delicious warm, but also good cooled off. However, it seems shortbread gets better in just a day - something about the butter getting stronger - I only ate one each way, and saved the rest!
ImageMaking the Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread, adding butter to the dry ingredients. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageButter and dry ingredients blended in FP, and starting to come together. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageShortbread dough, ready for the chocolate chunks. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageLog of shortbread dough, with chocolate chunks mixed in, ready to chill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageShortbread log, brushed with egg and rolled in the raw sugar, prior to slicing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageShortbread ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:12 pm

AlittleSalt wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:41 pm Excellent video Worth.

We've narrowed our choices down something like the video or chili. The flat is 1.5" thick which is what made me think of stew or chili. Stew is out because Jan doesn't want it.
Salt Sam the cooking guy is a hoot.
He doesn't know a great deal about where food comes from but I like his style.
Kids love him too despite his cussing.
The guy started out with practically nothing and knew hardly about cooking.
Told the folks on the today's show to shut up and let him talk. :lol:
Worth

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:15 pm

[mention]pepperhead212[/mention] Wow, they look tasty, i am sure thinking i can get the kids to do double homework for those beauties :-)

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:14 am

It's so easy to make enchiladas It's like falling off a log.
Made two last night and could only eat one they were so big.
Made with grilled chicken thighs in my griddle pan.
Homemade chili on top.
20210213_181935.jpg
Worth

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:48 pm

First ever attempt at making sushi. I quickly found I need to keep your hands wet and use a nonstick surface. Took a few tries to get it right.
IMG_20200215_1002.jpg

Return to “What's Cooking.”